• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Nail Salon

Spent a good amount of Friday making the final push. Drilled the winch plate for the remote winch control plug in. My 9.5XP is actually the model used on H2's, so it has a remote plug in. I actually like it, since I mount the solenoid box under the hood anyway.
P1070754.jpg

Fairlead mount. Also made sure this would work with a hawse fairlead aswell.
P1070760.jpg

After the fairlead mount was done, I mocked everything in place and started tacking everything together. Made some 1/8" filler plates for the top.
P1070762.jpg

Even though it was only tacked, it was nice to have something on the front end besides two 1/4" brackets.
P1070764.jpg

Today I pulled it off the Jeep for the final time, and started burning it all in.
P1070767.jpg

P1070769.jpg

There were a lot of welds. Took about 2 1/2 hours taking my time, and modifying a few things along the way. It didn't help that it was close to 90 degrees today.
P1070771.jpg

Note to self: Where long sleeves next time. :rolleyes:
P1070775.jpg

Then came the part that I was not looking forward to. Grinding. Spent a good three hours grinding and blending it all together. I really didn't have the patience today, so I'm not too thrilled with the turnout.
P1070776.jpg

Shaved a pound of weight from grinding.
P1070777.jpg

Paint is currently drying. Bumper goes on tomorrow.
P1070783.jpg

Looks really good Dustin! My only dislike is the 2x1 side protection pieces on the side. IMO, 2x2 would have looked a little better. But nice work, welds look good too!

Did you weigh it yet?

Get that thing weighed. We need to know.

you are going to mount that with grade eights, right?
No. It ties in with 18 bolts. If I shear 18 bolts, I have way bigger problems.
Looks really good Dustin! My only dislike is the 2x1 side protection pieces on the side. IMO, 2x2 would have looked a little better. But nice work, welds look good too!
Completely agree. My original plan was to use the 2x1 vertically, but I talked myself into the current design. Now that it's on the rig it's starting to grow on me.

Still not stoked with the turnout. It'll do exactly what I want it to (solid winch point, protection for bumper trucks), but I'm kinda wishing I had waited till after NWF and then taken the time to design a behind the cross member version. That could be a winter project though. I'm just happy I have my winch back on.
Get that thing weighed. We need to know.
62lbs.

Add the winch, and it's noticeable on the front. However, before I my front suspension was a tad on the stiff side. It feels better now with some extra weight up front. We'll see how it does at a good pace on the trail.

Last edited:
Today was all about install.

First thing I had to figure out where I was going to mount the winch solenoid box. I lucked out and found an open space under the late model hood exactly where I had it mounted on Jeepforceone. This meant no shortening/lengthening cables. Rather than fabbing a bolt on bracket, I just welded some flat bar to the inner fender. Simple.
P1070784.jpg

Installed.
P1070785-1.jpg

Bumper installed. Also got the Lightforce's put back on. I planned on doing a low profile hoop off the front just over the winch, but ran out of time. I might add one later.
P1070786.jpg

Then I spent the remaining part of the day playing electrician and wiring in the Lightforce's.
P1070788.jpg

P1070790.jpg

Looks good bro

Did a full once over on the rig for NWF. She's ready to go.

Extinguisher mounted. I know it's not ideal to get to in a 911 situation, but late models kinda lack room up front. I'll be switching to an Amerex in the future so I'll look at other locations then.
P1070792.jpg

Ever since installing my CB I tended to use the cup holder to hold the mic even though I had a mic holder on the side of the CB. This bugged me because it took up valuable cup holder space. Problem solved. I find it much easier to drill random holes in things now than six months ago.
P1070793.jpg

Also, much to my surprise UPS guy showed up at 8:00 tonight. With him he brought my new Currie Currectlync steering setup. I got in on the Poly Performance Memorial Day Sale a few weeks ago, and it's been back ordered since.

Why did I go Currie? Simple. It maintains the factory geometry (inverted Y) with upgraded tube size, and TRE size, as well as minimizing the angle on the TRE at the steering box. So no dead spots, no relocating track bars, and no reaming knuckles. Is it the "best" solution? No, there's always a compromise, but I believe this was the best option for my application.

Compared to the stock setup. I can't explain the quality/size difference.
P1070794.jpg

Install went super easy. Made sure to Never Seez all the new hardware.
P1070796.jpg

Tape measure aligned, and done. I installed my old Rancho stabilizer along with it. I figured why not, it'll only help with road manners.
P1070797.jpg

I just got done with the same setup! So far I love it! I was having some death wobble before and with this setup and repairing the trackbar, I now have no slop or popping coming from the front

I need to do a steering stabalizer to smooth out the road feedback on my steering setup

I just got done with the same setup! So far I love it! I was having some death wobble before and with this setup and repairing the trackbar, I now have no slop or popping coming from the front

+1 best upgrade i have done thus far.

Thats one of my favorite steering set ups, and for all the reasons you mentioned above.
I know a few guys running that same kit, and they all love it. Good choice!

I used to have that steering and liked it. Jeff now runs my old setup. I'd go OTK on the drivers side though. Gains clearence and looks so much better having it straight all the way across the axle haha. Just get a Teraflex knuckle insert. I'm not a big fan of the Goforit ones because they break.

I thought you welded the tubes?

Back