• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Puppies thread

NO BIKES AT F&F!!!!!!!!

its not like he going actually do that much dirt biking. probably get 5' into the woods then the bike dies because it ran out of gas cry for about 5 hours about how dirt bikes are stupid and then try to sell it so he can buy an even crappier bike for twice the price he sold the old one

its not like he going actually do that much dirt biking. probably get 5' into the woods then the bike dies because it ran out of gas cry for about 5 hours about how dirt bikes are stupid and then try to sell it so he can buy an even crappier bike for twice the price he sold the old one

You're close, the bike will blow up 5' into the woods. I SEENT IT HAPPEN!

Alright before I replace my entire ****ing driveline or pay a fortune to get a shaft made can anyone tell me why I keep blowing out my rear shafts yoke u joint? Fixed the pinion angle the wrapped leaves were giving me, put in the traction bar (until it broke), made 3 different driveshafts that all seem somewhat decently balanced, did all new joints front to back twice at this point, and still every ****ing day after I put a new one in and drive around its scolding hot and I can start to see cracks on the caps before it blows out. Never had this much trouble before and I'm sick of driving around in fwd and buying new joints every week.

Any suggestions before I toss the 242, get a 231 with a non hack n tap sye, replace the pinion yoke on the 60, and pay to get a shaft built?

Alright before I replace my entire ****ing driveline or pay a fortune to get a shaft made can anyone tell me why I keep blowing out my rear shafts yoke u joint? Fixed the pinion angle the wrapped leaves were giving me, put in the traction bar (until it broke), made 3 different driveshafts that all seem somewhat decently balanced, did all new joints front to back twice at this point, and still every ****ing day after I put a new one in and drive around its scolding hot and I can start to see cracks on the caps before it blows out. Never had this much trouble before and I'm sick of driving around in fwd and buying new joints every week.

Any suggestions before I toss the 242, get a 231 with a non hack n tap sye, replace the pinion yoke on the 60, and pay to get a shaft built?

Are you leaving the angle 1-2* off between the pinion and the driveshaft? If they're directly in line, the grease doesn't move through the caps/joint like it should.

Also, are you sure the yoke isn't damaged and putting uneven pressure on the joint?

Some good info here: http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.asp

Last edited:

Are you leaving the angle 1-2* off between the pinion and the driveshaft? If they're directly in line, the grease doesn't move through the caps/joint like it should.

Yeah its slightly off, grease is still there the thing just gets hot as **** like its binding up or something, just cant tell what keeps doing it in. Got some small vibes that get worse over 40 but I've had worse and had the u joint survive, little play in the hack n tap flange but feel like thats always been there, joint looks like its seated properly in the yoke even though its a little beat up after so many exploding. Maybe im just horrible at making shafts? :dunno:

Yeah its slightly off, grease is still there the thing just gets hot as **** like its binding up or something, just cant tell what keeps doing it in. Got some small vibes that get worse over 40 but I've had worse and had the u joint survive, little play in the hack n tap flange but feel like thats always been there, joint looks like its seated properly in the yoke even though its a little beat up after so many exploding. Maybe im just horrible at making shafts? :dunno:

I'd check the yoke thoroughly first. That's free. See if you can figure out why there's play in the hack and tap, also free.

Then, I'd take the best shaft you had over to Brookline Machine in Waltham and have them balance it for you. I got one shortened and balanced for $90-100 about a year ago.

Then go nuts with the parts darts from there, starting with whatever's next cheapest.

Angle tends to ruin u-joints fast.

1-2* down like Dave said. What are your rpms on the highway that you're cruising at?

What wall thickness driveshaft and what brand ujoints?

Speaking of ujoints, still haven't heard back about mine, may just have to run a stock inner for now and a cheap outer.

Back