• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

all of these reasons are why I deal local for a shaft.

It's not really possible to ship a shaft back to a vendor to have it made right and not cost a ton.

local guy I get to inspect it before I pay, and if something goes wrong that was a defect I take it back, plop it on the counter and we start talking about what they're gonna do to fix it.

I love mail order as much as the next guy, but sometimes it pays to deal local.

I ordered the hard parts for the driveshafts for my MJ, and built them myself. If you have a dial indicator, it's not very hard. I got mine down to .005" runout. Granted that thing has only seen 50 mph a select few times, I have no worries about them.

For my Dodge, I'd debate having a local shop build me one. I'd be real tempted to order the hard parts and build one myself.

For future reference Colin, Jon's Shafts in Manchvegas has a good reputation and also pretty cheap from what I remember. Jussoyaknow :)

For future reference Colin, Jon's Shafts in Manchvegas has a good reputation and also pretty cheap from what I remember. Jussoyaknow :)

Good to know thanks :thumbup:

For now everything seems pretty good. Though I do need to pull apart and reseal the 241DHD as it's dripping ATF at a pretty steady rate now.

I'm debating rebuilding it at the same time, but if my 4500 is any indication, the thing should be mint inside.

Last time I called there (this was like 4 years ago when I lived in Manchester), he wanted some crazy amount to rebuild and lengthen a front shaft I had in my ZJ. It was somewhere around $250-300 I think.

Last time I called there (this was like 4 years ago when I lived in Manchester), he wanted some crazy amount to rebuild and lengthen a front shaft I had in my ZJ. It was somewhere around $250-300 I think.

I for see us putting a d100 or 200 body on that thing in the future

I ground the welds out of my stock 2wd driveshaft, knocked the end yoke off, chopsawed the excess tube off, and booger welded it back together.

Then I did 103mph with it, who needs balanced driveshafts :gee:

When I tore the NP231 down to replace burnt up shift fork pads from lack of fluid, the rear output bearing looked beautiful still.

Not surprising, you're a douche. :dunno:

I ordered the hard parts for the driveshafts for my MJ, and built them myself. If you have a dial indicator, it's not very hard. I got mine down to .005" runout. Granted that thing has only seen 50 mph a select few times, I have no worries about them.

For my Dodge, I'd debate having a local shop build me one. I'd be real tempted to order the hard parts and build one myself.

for a trail truck I'd have no issues DIY.

Something that sees the highway with frequency really needs the shaft balanced.

unless you're ken stein, but we all know his story.

I plan on doing the same, at least initially. Once I have everything together and working, I'd consider ordering a real one if someone convinces me of the value of it, and then keep the homebuilt one as a spare.

I've lost driveshafts due to u-joints or direct impact but never because of something a more expensive pro-made one would've fixed.

for a trail truck I'd have no issues DIY.

Something that sees the highway with frequency really needs the shaft balanced.

unless you're ken stein, but we all know his story.

How much do they normally charge for balancing a shaft?

I can't imagine it's that much. I'd still debate building it myself and having it balanced.

I plan on doing the same, at least initially. Once I have everything together and working, I'd consider ordering a real one if someone convinces me of the value of it, and then keep the homebuilt one as a spare.

I've lost driveshafts due to u-joints or direct impact but never because of something a more expensive pro-made one would've fixed.

I've yet to be convinced of the value of it, except if you need high angle CVs or some crap.

Jess at HAD wouldn't build me the front shaft I wanted (2" OD for clearance reasons), and the price was at least $100 more than me building it myself for the rear as I wanted something with at least .188 wall thickness.

I'm also sold on non-greasable u-joints everywhere. I have 100k miles on the x806s on my Dodge, and I can't even remember how many on the rear driveshaft u-joints at this point.

I should probably see how the x806s in the MJ are doing. Last time I had one side apart in the front (after that tree hit, checking out the spindle and knuckle) they felt brand new still.

How much do they normally charge for balancing a shaft?

I can't imagine it's that much. I'd still debate building it myself and having it balanced.

the last time I had a shaft built it was 180 bucks for them to retube it with heavy wall tubing, balance it and put new joints in it.

That was reusing my existing yokes.

shortxjdoug had a shaft retubed for my new to me MJ and it was like $100.
but he sends his hot wife, so I think he gets a discount. Whens the last time you heard of $12 spicer u joints?

the last time I had a shaft built it was 180 bucks for them to retube it with heavy wall tubing, balance it and put new joints in it.

That was reusing my existing yokes.

shortxjdoug had a shaft retubed for my new to me MJ and it was like $100.
but he sends his hot wife, so I think he gets a discount. Whens the last time you heard of $12 spicer u joints?

crown in canton, but ya gotta wear a bikini, I hate having to wax for that

Rob we just saw you for the first time in a button down... slow down man... I'm not ready for you in a bikini!

The following parts may be used as alternates for this part:

Neapco 1-0121
Dana/Spicer 5-200X
Neapco 1-0153 -- In Stock, Our Price: $ 12.41
Dana/Spicer 5-121X
Rockwell/Meritor CP121X
Borg Warner 114-520
Rockwell/Meritor CP153X
Borg Warner 114-3HD
Borg Warner 114-513
Chrysler 1818920
Chrysler 1818921
Chrysler 4882793
Chrysler 5015694AA
Chrysler 5161766AA
Ford 6L2Z4635A
Ford 01Y7039
Ford 21C7039
Ford 211C1118397
Ford A9LY4635A

that's a "you buy a 12 dollar joint and we drop ship whatevers on hand"

I'd bet you don't get an actual spicer.

I buy from them all the time - that's the list they say YOU can use if you want. I've ordered like 6 times and never got anything but Spicers, unless I was cheap and ordered Neapco.

That's where I generally get my 5-760Xs, too.

That's basically what I did for my front. I found a practically new 1310 shaft with the flange for next to nothing at a swap meet.

chopped the tube off it and welded my new tube on it. got it down to .003"

figured I can teach myself on my front shaft. worse case scenario, I has locking hubs.

I have to figure out a way to hold a camera steady enough to take video of the play for these guys.

Pretty sure that list is for cross reference purposes only, not to say that they will ship you whatever

Yea I always got Spicer or nepico from them.

And FYI quigly drive shafts in pa doesn't use Spicer joints anymore because they noted a fall I quality. At least that's what they told me last time I was there. All nepico with them now.

Back