• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

I'd be telling USPS they need to find the rest of it, personally... though Ruffstuff has been pretty good about completely covering the box with tape to prevent that sort of thing in the past.

just a fyi a million ways to die in the west was hilarious

I'd be telling USPS they need to find the rest of it, personally... though Ruffstuff has been pretty good about completely covering the box with tape to prevent that sort of thing in the past.

naw, insurance on the package is a contract between shipper and USPS.

It's on ruffstuff to find the contents of the box, and it's their bad if they didn't insure it adequately to cover the cost of a replacement.

naw, insurance on the package is a contract between shipper and USPS.

It's on ruffstuff to find the contents of the box, and it's their bad if they didn't insure it adequately to cover the cost of a replacement.

I think my last shipment from them was insured for 50$ at least that's what the tracking said.

Went to take the trash out and heard some rumbling thought it was one of my dead landlords brother trying to take is brothers stuff dispose the new landlord telling him no.well no one was there so I went to tasker the lid off the trash can and just then a raccoon poops out

I hate patch day

THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

I love having a front locker it makes all my old spots stupid easy.

So, gearing question. I went over setting up my HP35 last night.

Nominal checking distance for a dana 35 is 2.095". My new pinion is scribed with "2.100" on it, and the old pinion just has "0". So I take that to mean the old one happened to set up exactly at the nominal distance and my new one would be "+5". So to start with I'd set the pinion 0.005" deeper into the housing.

Problem is on the old one, there were no shims used. There's the oil slinger between the pinion bearing and the head, and behind the inner race in the housing there's a baffle of sorts, but besides those two pieces (which I have in the install kit, and measure the same) there aren't any shims to remove.

So the inner baffle is 0.018"; in theory I could omit that and instead build up 0.013" of shims behind the inner race. Not quite sure of its purpose.

Or I'll just try patterning it with the same as old and see how it lines up. A little closer to the center is probably not a bad thing.

Dude, totally wrong thread to be overthinking something technical.

:twak:

Nominal checking distance for a dana 35 is 2.095". My new pinion is scribed with "2.100" on it, and the old pinion just has "0". So I take that to mean the old one happened to set up exactly at the nominal distance and my new one would be "+5". So to start with I'd set the pinion 0.005" deeper into the housing.

Problem is on the old one, there were no shims used. There's the oil slinger between the pinion bearing and the head, and behind the inner race in the housing there's a baffle of sorts, but besides those two pieces (which I have in the install kit, and measure the same) there aren't any shims to remove.

So the inner baffle is 0.018"; in theory I could omit that and instead build up 0.013" of shims behind the inner race. Not quite sure of its purpose.

Or I'll just try patterning it with the same as old and see how it lines up. A little closer to the center is probably not a bad thing.

Setup bearings, mic existing shim stacks, install as-is, then modify to suit and see where you land? That's what I did, pattern came out fine and my doofus friend who owns the thing hasn't blown it up yet

Yup, I geared a 44 with the same issue.
I ended up doing the bolded area as just leaving it as-before shims didn't yeild good results.

I think the inner baffle is intended to keep oil inside the pinion bearings for longer, but not sure.

edit: jesus christ, who invited me to this forbiddenjeeps facebook page? I have never seen such a wretched hive of consistently bullshit info, ignorant posters, and general aggressive stupidity in my entire life and that's including the trading post and Gas of Mass. Yikes :wow:

Last edited:

I think the inner baffle is intended to keep oil inside the pinion bearings for longer, but not sure.

Where it's positioned doesn't really make much sense for that. The oil path goes from behind the ring gear and then splits, with part of it going to the outer bearing and part of it dumping in front of the inner bearing. The baffle is in the way of it getting to the inner bearing, so all that'll happen is the oil will build up behind it like a dam until it spills over. It's not tall enough to be keeping oil up at the outer bearing, which does that via the slinger under the seal and a tiny little return passage.

Once oil gets to the inner bearing the slinger behind the pinion head should keep it there and also throw it back towards the oil passage that feeds the pinion bearings again.

My take on it anyway. :confused:

Wait, you're talking about the baffle that goes with the shims under the inner race, not the slinger that goes between the pinion and the inner cone. I misread, sorry.

From what I've seen that baffle is installed in high pinion diffs to hold more oil in the outer pinion bearing. You can skip it if you're gonna be bouncing around and running at goofy angles and not driving on the highway from what the rest of the internet said, I forgot to order one for a high pinion 30 I set up and it did survive just fine for the ~500 mile breakin period, then it came in the mail and I was in there again to install the locker so I swapped some shims out for it.

Back