• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

My upstairs toilet is prone to skid marks, for some reason. That little bowl brush gets a lot of use.

The toilet I just installed downstairs has a "1/2" button on it, depending on how much flushing power you need. And has a very skid resistant finish. **** yeah.

I don't shit upstairs anymore.

What kind of alternator is that toilet running? Maybe you should ask Ross what kind his has. I think you need more AMPS.

I have to weigh in with this HOA thing too. It came down to one simple principle for me...my house, my yard, my stuff. Nobody is going to tell me what I can and cannot do in my house/in my yard/with my stuff.

HOA= No.

Keep looking and don't rush into anything. And, best of all, have someone who is experienced with looking at homes (not a home inspector that your realtor hires, or worse yet, the SELLING realtor hires... lets face it, they want to sell the house, even if your aunt is your realtor). Hire your own home inspector and walk around with him and ask lots of questions. Also, don't forget to confirm zoning ordinances/property lines as well. If you want to put that 2 car garage (or even a shed) make sure you have the property (and your far enough away from the property lines) to do it.

My .02...:D
Yup. Hell, I've offered to help a few times as a neutral party (having built my house and all) but he won't listen to me... but then again I am "ignorant". :D
Find me one in a GOOD town that isn't 30 miles from the nearest grocery store, isn't on a main road, and has some level of privacy. Oh, and doesn't make my commute miserable.

Amherst has the #2 school system in the state.

I'm thinking about a family as well, not just about my jeep/hobby.
Easy. Hell, I already sent you a few in Amherst. Now that I know that is the town it makes the search. FYI, your information about #2 is incorrect.
According my the information provided to our school Brookline is ranked higher than Amherst. Amherst didn't even make the top 10.

http://my.doe.nh.gov/profiles/profile.aspx?oid=&s=&d=71&year=2013&tab=testresults

http://my.doe.nh.gov/profiles/profile.aspx?oid=&s=&d=17&year=2013&tab=testresults

Also.

Oil heat. Yuck. Wood-burning fireplace insert which is nice if a) the house is set up decently to be heated from a single-source (most aren't) and b) if you keep up with splitting, storing, and replenishing wood. It's multi-zone recirculating water so at least you can turn it off where you're not using it, but I'd wager the oil burner is probably original which means the efficiency is marginal at best (there's a reason they supplemented it with the wood burner). 2,300 square feet is a lot of volume to heat and chances are the insulation isn't very current. No A/C mentioned either.

Sewer is septic/leech field which isn't bad but you're approaching the 30-year mark which is when you're gonna want to get the tank inspected and probably pumped. Also limits what you can put down the sink/toilets and also what you can use for detergents & cleaners.

Water is unmetered because it's a community well, not municipal. Between that and the recirculating water/oil burner you may be ****ed during a power outage. That includes hot water too. See if they have a backup generator for the well pump and if that incurs any additional costs.

I think you're probably beat as far as any municipal sewer/water hookups but I'd at least check into alternatives to the oil burner (natural gas, propane, etc).

I'd say that listing price is still overvalued by at least $20k.
Oil heat is a reality for us up here that don't want to heat 100% with wood.

You make excellent points about the septic and water. I'd rather have a well I can run on my own or be closer to the city and rely on the municipal.

I still can't figure out why no one has invented a toilet with an external pump. Like you have a third "seat" that you can flip down that seals to the bowl. Then turn on the motor, which for me would definitely be some shitty gas engine from a lawn mower or something. Then, when you take a MONSTER dump you don't even have to worry about breaking it up in multiple flushes. Just blast cucks, wipe, throwing as much toilet paper in there as you want, then drop the sealing seat and tug on the rip cord. BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP! Of course you then would want the flusher mounted on the floor in front of the toilet and make it a gas pedal and FLOOR IT. Watch that shit just get annihilated down the toilet. Like ****, how has no one done this yet. BRAAAP BRRRRAAAAAP BRAAAAP! Just going full throttle on your toilet, that would ****ing awesome. Throw a super charger on that thing and you can take like 10 shits in that thing and still flush it.

Yup. Hell, I've offered to help a few times as a neutral party (having built my house and all) but he won't listen to me... but then again I am "ignorant". :D

How have I not listened to you?

You offered some houses, and keep asking me to build a house. You offered to come look at houses, which I didn't turn down? I just haven't been at a point where I even liked a house enough to consider bringing other people, other than this one.

I didn't want to move that far out west and lengthen my commute/live in a not so great town, nor do I want the headache of building a house.

In my eyes, it's better to buy a cheap/not so great house in a great town than the opposite.

Just because I don't want to do what you did, doesn't meant what I want to do is not the "best way".

Easy. Hell, I already sent you a few in Amherst. Now that I know that is the town it makes the search. FYI, your information about #2 is incorrect.
According my the information provided to our school Brookline is ranked higher than Amherst. Amherst didn't even make the top 10.

http://my.doe.nh.gov/profiles/profile.aspx?oid=&s=&d=71&year=2013&tab=testresults

http://my.doe.nh.gov/profiles/profile.aspx?oid=&s=&d=17&year=2013&tab=testresults

You didn't send me any in Amherst?

Also, Brookline shares a school system in Hollis. Of course they're higher than Amherst. I had found that Hollis had the #1 in the state.

I didn't check those reports out, thanks for the link.

1st one we drove by. Right on a main road that people do 50+ mph on. No thanks.

Not looking to move out towards Brookline. Too far out from everything and my commute slowly gets more miserable.

Already drove by that one. No privacy.

I guess I have a somewhat skewed idea of 'dependency' after having not just power but our entire infrastructure knocked out for over a week last year during Sandy. There wasn't a gas station within 50 miles that had any gasoline available and there were lines over a mile long of people standing holding little gas cans as the ones that *did* have gas were selling it in 5-gallon increments (the whole gasoline distribution network got ****ed from the refineries and ports being flooded).

I just met with my plumber Saturday morning to go over my conversion from propane to natural gas. Currently only the furnace and range are gas-fired. I'm adding T's all over to allow for a gas water heater & dryer, as well as an outside T to run to the garage, with additional hookups for the BBQ grill and a natural-gas powered generator. Also checking into how hard it would be to place a few gas lamps around the house. Probably gonna go with radiant heaters in the garage vs. forced air as they don't require electricity.

The coal bin I'm building in the basement should hold enough for a year's worth of usage.

Sure is nice to be able to have light, cook a meal, and take a hot shower without a generator.

I know those are unique priorities for my situation, but it's just more stuff to think about. When a place is actually 'yours' and you have the opportunity to change everything you've always bitched about or thought up, it's tough not to. :laugh: So just keep that sort of stuff in the back of your head and look at a place with as much forethought as you can.

One thing I'm stuck on right now is my kitchen door is old and un-insulated, but more annoyingly it opens opposite of the screen door so when you go to unlock it the knobs are on the side that doesn't open fully so it's a pain to get a key in. If I have any budget left after the half bath is done that door is next on the chopping block. :laugh:

The toilet is actually not a concern fyi, just plan on dropping $250 on the shitter I got, I swear it'll flush golf balls, tennis balls, grapefruit, watermelons, bricks, cement blocks, small animals, children, etc. Thing is insane.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/American...i_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969#.UnfIg_mkpfc

As long as the drain flange is the standard spacing from the wall you can just bolt that shit down in like 20 minutes.

PS: it is still possible to plug that toilet if your name is carmelo or ken, it just happens once a year instead of once a week.

My 2 cents. On duck dynasty they couldn't burn leaves in there driveway cause of the how, why would you ever wanna live somewhere where you can't burn leafs in your driveway. Seriously its a house don't jump on the first one you like

1st one we drove by. Right on a main road that people do 50+ mph on. No thanks.

Not looking to move out towards Brookline. Too far out from everything and my commute slowly gets more miserable.

Already drove by that one. No privacy.
Ok, yeah I saw that divided road.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...WlHSy41Q;FSs3hgIdJxm9-w&t=h&gl=us&mra=ls&z=11

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...tLZXrVPA;FSs3hgIdJxm9-w&t=h&gl=us&mra=ls&z=11

Picking both just for commutes I'd rather the one that is over 10miles shorter AND gets to avoid Rt. 3.
119 vs 3? One is less traveled and one has traffic and is nuts.
But hey, it's your drive.

Ahh, ok.

My 2 cents. On duck dynasty they couldn't burn leaves in there driveway cause of the how, why would you ever wanna live somewhere where you can't burn leafs in your driveway. Seriously its a house don't jump on the first one you like
some towns in ma have ban this or you need to get permits can can only burn during certin months

I guess I have a somewhat skewed idea of 'dependency' after having not just power but our entire infrastructure knocked out for over a week last year during Sandy. There wasn't a gas station within 50 miles that had any gasoline available and there were lines over a mile long of people standing holding little gas cans as the ones that *did* have gas were selling it in 5-gallon increments (the whole gasoline distribution network got ****ed from the refineries and ports being flooded).

I just met with my plumber Saturday morning to go over my conversion from propane to natural gas. Currently only the furnace and range are gas-fired. I'm adding T's all over to allow for a gas water heater & dryer, as well as an outside T to run to the garage, with additional hookups for the BBQ grill and a natural-gas powered generator. Also checking into how hard it would be to place a few gas lamps around the house. Probably gonna go with radiant heaters in the garage vs. forced air as they don't require electricity.

The coal bin I'm building in the basement should hold enough for a year's worth of usage.

Sure is nice to be able to have light, cook a meal, and take a hot shower without a generator.

I know those are unique priorities for my situation, but it's just more stuff to think about. When a place is actually 'yours' and you have the opportunity to change everything you've always bitched about or thought up, it's tough not to. :laugh: So just keep that sort of stuff in the back of your head and look at a place with as much forethought as you can.

One thing I'm stuck on right now is my kitchen door is old and un-insulated, but more annoyingly it opens opposite of the screen door so when you go to unlock it the knobs are on the side that doesn't open fully so it's a pain to get a key in. If I have any budget left after the half bath is done that door is next on the chopping block. :laugh:

All definitely things to think about and I appreciate it. Again, natural gas is probably not a go for where I'm looking as I have yet to see one house with it.

The toilet is actually not a concern fyi, just plan on dropping $250 on the shitter I got, I swear it'll flush golf balls, tennis balls, grapefruit, watermelons, bricks, cement blocks, small animals, children, etc. Thing is insane.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/American...i_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969#.UnfIg_mkpfc

As long as the drain flange is the standard spacing from the wall you can just bolt that shit down in like 20 minutes.

PS: it is still possible to plug that toilet if your name is carmelo or ken, it just happens once a year instead of once a week.

Yeah I'm not worried about that part, just about the drainage of the septic. If it's not working well, it will absolutely backup into the house.

Ok, yeah I saw that divided road.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...WlHSy41Q;FSs3hgIdJxm9-w&t=h&gl=us&mra=ls&z=11

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...tLZXrVPA;FSs3hgIdJxm9-w&t=h&gl=us&mra=ls&z=11

Picking both just for commutes I'd rather the one that is over 10miles shorter AND gets to avoid Rt. 3.
119 vs 3? One is less traveled and one has traffic and is nuts.
But hey, it's your drive.

Ahh, ok.

That's the thing, I don't consider just the commute. It only becomes an issue when it gets really bad. And I've been watching route 3 every day when I leave for work and when I start driving home and it's always been really light on the traffic? Am I missing something?

Brookline is much farther from anything commercial (parts stores, home depots, restaurants, anything to do, etc.), at least from what we saw when we drove around. To get to Nashua you have to drive a good bit.

some towns in ma have ban this or you need to get permits can can only burn during certin months

Yup. We've never burned leaves on my parents property. Just raked/blown them behind the fence/cliff area (still our property) and off the lawn.

All definitely things to think about and I appreciate it. Again, natural gas is probably not a go for where I'm looking as I have yet to see one house with it.

Yeah I'm not worried about that part, just about the drainage of the septic. If it's not working well, it will absolutely backup into the house.

That's the thing, I don't consider just the commute. It only becomes an issue when it gets really bad. And I've been watching route 3 every day when I leave for work and when I start driving home and it's always been really light on the traffic? Am I missing something?

Brookline is much farther from anything commercial (parts stores, home depots, restaurants, anything to do, etc.), at least from what we saw when we drove around. To get to Nashua you have to drive a good bit.

Yup. We've never burned leaves on my parents property. Just raked/blown them behind the fence/cliff area (still our property) and off the lawn.
the rt3 and 495 intersection sucks more so on fridays during vacation seasons with everyone trying to get up to nh

i use to do rt 3 from 495 to go to hudson nh for an intership and it seemed like every day south bound in the morning was backed up starting at drum hill rd if not worse now im dong 95 to rt3 but get off 3 exist south of 495 in the morning its not bad but the evening its usually heavily backed up

From the Amherst address to:
Home Depot: 4.2 mi, 11 mins
Shaws: 16.2 mi, 23 mins
Lowes: 5.7 mi, 13 mins
Chunky's Movie: 9.0 mi, 21 mi
Leda Lanes Bowling: 7.2 mi, 17 mins
Chinese food: 12.3 mi, 24 min
F&F: 32.0 mi, 51 mins
Rob's House in Keene: 43.3 mi, 1 hour 6 min
Museum of Fine Art, Boston: 59.5 mi, 1 hour 5 mins
Bub's BBQ: 76.2 mi, 1 hour 52 mins
Pano's: 16.8 mi, 25 mins
AutoZone: 14.9 mi, 21 mins
Advance Auto Parts: 7.0 mi, 18 min

From the Brookline address to:
Home Depot: 12.5 mi, 19 mins
Shaws: 12.1 mi, 20 mins
Lowes: 12.3 mi, 19 mins
Chunky's Movie: 12.8 mi, 25 mins
Leda Lanes Bowling: 14.5 mi, 28 mins
Chinese food: 5.7 mi, 17 mins
F&F: 33.4 mi, 54 min
Rob's House in Keene: 41.8 mi, 1 hour 5 mins
Museum of Fine Art, Boston: 61.8 mi, 1 hour 14 mins
Bub's BBQ: 63.3 mi, 1 hour 30 mins
Pano's: 19.1 mi, 29 mins
AutoZone: 17.2 mi, 28 mins
Adavance Auto Parts 11.1 mi, 20 min

Doesn't seem that much of a difference to me. Most are just 5-8 min difference. Then again, I'm used to the 20-25min to get to anything.
Disclaimer: All those were using google maps, best route as of right now. Times may change with time of day and traffic. ;)

Last edited:

Where are you looking Bill?

We went east on county road from the Amherst house and hit chinese food and Shaws right there at Route 3.

That only took us 10 minutes :laugh:

And I'm used to be being no more than 10 minutes from anything and everything. Which is really convenient (and I do like).

My parents rent a house thats in a hoa and if the people dont keep their garbage cans inside the garage. Even for a day we get a letter of complaint. We get letters constantly obout dumb stuff.

A friend of mine couldent cut a dead tree down on his property because of the hoa.

Where are you looking Bill?

We went east on county road from the Amherst house and hit chinese food and Shaws right there at Route 3.

That only took us 10 minutes :laugh:

And I'm used to be being no more than 10 minutes from anything and everything. Which is really convenient (and I do like).
I just typed it into Google.
Go back and look, I added a bunch more. Haha.

THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

When I moved to my apt I lost a lot of convenience compared to my parents house. Now it takes me 6-7 minutes to get Wendy's or go the parts store instead of 45-90 seconds.

My parents rent a house thats in a hoa and if the people dont keep their garbage cans inside the garage. Even for a day we get a letter of complaint. We get letters constantly obout dumb stuff.

A friend of mine couldent cut a dead tree down on his property because of the hoa.

I don't know if Amherst does trash pick up or if they have a dump. Never looked into it because it didn't bother me either way, but I probably should.

There was some recently chopped firewood in the rear of the property. Looked like a dead tree.

Kate just called me and we should see the HOA documents tonight/tomorrow morning.

Back