• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

if you live next door to a ken stien you would care

is there any fees with this HOA?

Basically.

Hmmm...
Hobbies that don't get along well with HOAs in general:
military trucks
jeeps/building shit late at night
homeowner renovations
ham radio (yes, old nosey busibodies actually constantly cause trouble for hams, I haven't touched my radio shit in like 4 years now but it was certainly something I considered when finding a house)

All I need is some livestock in the yard and I am literally the reasons HOAs exist.

That's why I didn't buy anywhere near a HOA. And for that matter bought the shittiest house in an OK neighborhood. When I'm done (if I am ever done...) it'll be a significant improvement.

I have to weigh in with this HOA thing too. It came down to one simple principle for me...my house, my yard, my stuff. Nobody is going to tell me what I can and cannot do in my house/in my yard/with my stuff.

HOA= No.

Keep looking and don't rush into anything. And, best of all, have someone who is experienced with looking at homes (not a home inspector that your realtor hires, or worse yet, the SELLING realtor hires... lets face it, they want to sell the house, even if your aunt is your realtor). Hire your own home inspector and walk around with him and ask lots of questions. Also, don't forget to confirm zoning ordinances/property lines as well. If you want to put that 2 car garage (or even a shed) make sure you have the property (and your far enough away from the property lines) to do it.

My .02...:D

Another thing... talk to your building inspector (the town one, not any of the ones Andy mentioned, he has a really good point there) before you buy and figure out what kind of work you can do yourself. Some towns in mass don't allow homeowner electrical work, like Fitchburg, I don't know how NH handles it. Better to discover things like that before you buy than after.

I don't know what you have planned but if I was buying and considering building a shop later, and had to hire an electrician to do all the wiring, as an EE, I'd be pissed.

Doesn't look like the HOA is very involved with how the landscaping looks.

Kitchen looks like it's super dated as well.

Granted most of that landscaping is pretty removed from the street view. However one thing to keep in mind is that looks like a VERY maintenance-intensive property. That'll start to look like shit really quickly if you don't stay on top of it. It's great if gardening and landscaping is your thing, but that's several full days a month worth of work. Not really how I wanna spend my weekends and evenings.

I liked the idea of having a lot of land at first, but especially with property taxes being as high as they are around here, having 'useable' and easily maintainable land became more of a priority as long as the surrounding stuff wasn't too close. My property backs up to an easement and 500+ feet of woods that is landlocked and undevelopable, which means I get to enjoy the benefits of a wooded lot without having to pay for it. :laugh:

It's one thing if you plan to develop it more down the road (additions, detached garage, hell one place I looked at my long term plan would've been to build an entirely new house further back on the lot) but it's just something else to keep in mind.

edit: and yeah that kitchen is definitely original. And the layout sucks.

Keep looking and don't rush into anything. And, best of all, have someone who is experienced with looking at homes (not a home inspector that your realtor hires, or worse yet, the SELLING realtor hires... lets face it, they want to sell the house, even if your aunt is your realtor). Hire your own home inspector and walk around with him and ask lots of questions. Also, don't forget to confirm zoning ordinances/property lines as well. If you want to put that 2 car garage (or even a shed) make sure you have the property (and your far enough away from the property lines) to do it.

My .02...:D

I have mixed feelings about home inspectors. I got one of the top-rated ones in my area, and having that piece of paper with bad stuff on it is useful as a negotiating tool, but on my own I found everything that he did and more importantly, a lot of stuff that he didn't because I have different priorities and ideas for renovation etc. Maybe it's because I have a background in construction and contracting but if I ever do this process again I think I'd rather save the ~$500 and do it independently (although I don't recommend that to everybody).

Last edited:

All the gardens are gone, and the way the land is graded in the rear of the house would be awkward for lawn mowing but whatever. I wouldn't plan on putting gardens back in.

I'd be surprised if they had any landscaping rules. Some of the houses had gravel driveways, another neighbor had his lawn all torn up on one part of it (must be reseeding it or something) and I'd say half of the neighbors hadn't even raked any leaves yet.

It's a 3/4 acre lot, so not sure about building another garage. I don't necessarily care to do that, as I can survive just fine with the 2 car attached, but definitely worth looking into if things change in the future.

I appreciate everyones input.

edit: and yeah that kitchen is definitely original. And the layout sucks.

I could give a shit less how the kitchen looks or how the layout is.

To me, the most important thing is location and the structure of the house. I'm not against renovating a kitchen (did it with my father years ago).

The location is awesome (cul-de-sac off a cul-de-sac off the main road) so a ton of privacy, and everything in the house is in excellent condition (even the rafters in the attic and the roof). All the stupid stuff like valves/thermostats in the plumbing all look almost brand new.

An outdated kitchen that has a poor layout (that I could care less about) is not going to stop me from buying a house. The HOA stuff is the only thing holding me back right now.

You have to be completely ignorant if you think that.
Thank you.
It looks like a mice place, but dude, if you are going to spend that much there are way nicer places out there not in an HOA.

Just saying...

Hell that much gets you a BRAND NEW house in many areas.

Dude, if you are going to spend that much there are way nicer places out there not in an HOA.

Just saying...

Find me one in a GOOD town that isn't 30 miles from the nearest grocery store, isn't on a main road, and has some level of privacy. Oh, and doesn't make my commute miserable.

Amherst has the #2 school system in the state.

I'm thinking about a family as well, not just about my jeep/hobby.

Also.

Oil heat. Yuck. Wood-burning fireplace insert which is nice if a) the house is set up decently to be heated from a single-source (most aren't) and b) if you keep up with splitting, storing, and replenishing wood. It's multi-zone recirculating water so at least you can turn it off where you're not using it, but I'd wager the oil burner is probably original which means the efficiency is marginal at best (there's a reason they supplemented it with the wood burner). 2,300 square feet is a lot of volume to heat and chances are the insulation isn't very current. No A/C mentioned either.

Sewer is septic/leech field which isn't bad but you're approaching the 30-year mark which is when you're gonna want to get the tank inspected and probably pumped. Also limits what you can put down the sink/toilets and also what you can use for detergents & cleaners.

Water is unmetered because it's a community well, not municipal. Between that and the recirculating water/oil burner you may be ****ed during a power outage. That includes hot water too. See if they have a backup generator for the well pump and if that incurs any additional costs.

I think you're probably beat as far as any municipal sewer/water hookups but I'd at least check into alternatives to the oil burner (natural gas, propane, etc).

I'd say that listing price is still overvalued by at least $20k.

When I look at a house, first things first, I walk right into the bathroom and take a good look at the toilet. Sure, it's gotta be kinda nice I guess. But you wanna envision yourself on the toilet and ask yourself "how big of a shit can I take in this thing?" I think the answer to this question stresses all other aspects of the home if thought out right and takes into account anything that may come up. Preferably I think Colin should go back and ask to drop a shit in their toilet, like after eating 20 fajitas or something.

My $.02

I feel like whenever someone asks a question on here the rest of you just pull some lame shit out of your ass just type shit on the internet for no reason. I'm the only one that ever offers any meaningful advice. You should all be ashamed.

When I look at a house, first things first, I walk right into the bathroom and take a good look at the toilet. Sure, it's gotta be kinda nice I guess. But you wanna envision yourself on the toilet and ask yourself "how big of a shit can I take in this thing?" I think the answer to this question stresses all other aspects of the home if thought out right and takes into account anything that may come up. Preferably I think Colin should go back and ask to drop a shit in their toilet, like after eating 20 fajitas or something.

My $.02

My upstairs toilet is prone to skid marks, for some reason. That little bowl brush gets a lot of use.

The toilet I just installed downstairs has a "1/2" button on it, depending on how much flushing power you need. And has a very skid resistant finish. **** yeah.

I don't shit upstairs anymore.

Also.

Oil heat. Yuck. Wood-burning fireplace insert which is nice if a) the house is set up decently to be heated from a single-source (most aren't) and b) if you keep up with splitting, storing, and replenishing wood. It's multi-zone recirculating water so at least you can turn it off where you're not using it, but I'd wager the oil burner is probably original which means the efficiency is marginal at best (there's a reason they supplemented it with the wood burner). 2,300 square feet is a lot of volume to heat and chances are the insulation isn't very current. No A/C mentioned either.

Most homes up there are either oil heat or propane.

Oil burner is recent. About 8 years old.

There's 3 zones. Master bedroom, second floor bedrooms, and first floor. No A/C at all, nor a whole house fan. That doesn't bother me.

Sewer is septic/leech field which isn't bad but you're approaching the 30-year mark which is when you're gonna want to get the tank inspected and probably pumped. Also limits what you can put down the sink/toilets and also what you can use for detergents & cleaners.

That was one of the things that bothered me was I would want to get that inspected somehow. The restrictions of septic don't bother me. Lived with it in my parents house my whole life.

Water is unmetered because it's a community well, not municipal. Between that and the recirculating water/oil burner you may be ****ed during a power outage. That includes hot water too. See if they have a backup generator for the well pump and if that incurs any additional costs.

Already wired for a backup generator in the house, not sure about the community well pump station or anything.

I think you're probably beat as far as any municipal sewer/water hookups but I'd at least check into alternatives to the oil burner (natural gas, propane, etc).

I'd say that listing price is still overvalued by at least $20k.

Natural gas is hardly ever run in NH unless it's a heavily populated area (i.e. Nashua or some areas in Hudson). Propane is a possibility down the road.

Agreed. We weren't planning on offering full price at all.

My $.02

The funny thing is, that's a legitimate concern of mine.

Back