• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

**** that I'm sleeping

Got up but it was too overcast to see anything.
It's cool I got a jump start to my Sunday so hopefully I'll get a bunch done!

THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

this^^^ but I thought the french connection was mildly better.

I actually could follow French connection. Half the time watching bullitt I had no idea wtf was going on. I think ronin was the first movie that had a great chase scene that could actually still be a good flick without that scene.

Stupid 4link, guess the jeep is gonna get the same muffler as the truck

I think pipe wrenches may be the best steelie bead straightening tool I've ever used. Took the big dent from KotUJ right out of one of my MJs wheels like it was designed for it. Maybe it'll stop leaking air now, only took me 2 years to get around to it.

Edit: first

Second.

Found a house in Amherst we're considering making an offer on.

It's part of an HOA, so I want to read some of the documentation on that before we consider it. Perfect location and the house is in amazing condition though. Right in our price range.

Everything I've ever read about HOAs suck. Dumb rules about how you can live in your own house.

Yes and no. Most HOAs are for condo/townhouses and are probably what you've read about.

It's not about how you can live in your own house, it's about keeping up the appearance so everyone's home value doesn't decrease because some douche has like 10 junk cars on his property, or has a chicken coop with chickens running around stinking up the area (we've personally had to deal with that before at my parents house...it blows).

I've already seen RVs in carports setup on a house in the neighborhood, and it's not like there's any noise ordinances.

I'm going to review the paperwork before committing to anything.

Last edited:

ya as long as it isnt ridiculous its fine. i remember some hgtv show where they were trying to renovate this house and the hoa kept getting in the way of doing what they wanted

It's not about how you can live in your own house, it's about keeping up the appearance so everyone's home value doesn't decrease because some douche has like 10 junk cars on his property, or has a chicken coop with chickens running around stinking up the area (we've personally had to deal with that before at my parents house...it blows).

I've already seen RVs in carports setup on a house in the neighborhood, and it's not like there's any noise ordinances.

That's how it's *supposed* to work.

Problem is arbitrary enforcement of arbitrary rules that get decided upon by a process and people that you have no control over. Unless you get involved in the governing body which is tough to do as a new resident.

Example; carports are cool, as long as whatever is in it is registered. Or moveable. Or moves once a week. Etc. And yes absolutely there are noise ordinances.

When I was looking, anything involving an HOA was immediately struck from the list on principle. Just because you read the rules now and everything looks OK, there's nothing saying that 5 years down the line that some greenie dickhead on the governing board decides he doesn't like your gas-guzzling, turf-destroying MJ and makes your life miserable. There's a lot of shit they can do not written in the books (and technically, not even within their scope of control) but it's on *you* to fight it then. Not something I wanted to worry about in my long-term planning.

I agree, and like I said that's why I'm hesitant. I want to read the paperwork on it and do a little research.

And it has a garage, so I wouldn't even be setting up the carport.

Last edited:

It's part of an HOA, so I want to read some of the documentation on that before we consider it. Perfect location and the house is in amazing condition though. Right in our price range.
Run away! Run fast!
Everything I've ever read about HOAs suck. Dumb rules about how you can live in your own house.
I know someone that went through this, read below.
Yes and no. Most HOAs are for condo/townhouses and are probably what you've read about.

I'm going to review the paperwork before committing to anything.
HOAs suck unless you like being told what to do.

I work with someone that bought a house in an HOA a few years ago. It was fine and no issues up unitl this past year when the president and the folks running the HOA changed. Then the rules started as to what time of night flood lights could come on, cars parked in the driveway, etc, etc. When he moved in years ago the only thing was like height of grass and whatnot. Despite what they say, sneaky people can change the rules at any time.

I will also never understand why 10 cars in the yard next door decreases a house value. Who cares?

That's how it's *supposed* to work.

Problem is arbitrary enforcement of arbitrary rules that get decided upon by a process and people that you have no control over. Unless you get involved in the governing body which is tough to do as a new resident.

Example; carports are cool, as long as whatever is in it is registered. Or moveable. Or moves once a week. Etc. And yes absolutely there are noise ordinances.

When I was looking, anything involving an HOA was immediately struck from the list on principle. Just because you read the rules now and everything looks OK, there's nothing saying that 5 years down the line that some greenie dickhead on the governing board decides he doesn't like your gas-guzzling, turf-destroying MJ and makes your life miserable. There's a lot of shit they can do not written in the books (and technically, not even within their scope of control) but it's on *you* to fight it then. Not something I wanted to worry about in my long-term planning.
Exactly.

I appreciate you guys input, like I said I'm going to look at the stuff regardless just to see what's involved if for nothing other than to learn more about them.

I will also never understand why 10 cars in the yard next door decreases a house value. Who cares?

You have to be completely ignorant if you think that.

You have to be completely ignorant if you think that.

ya. just the way it makes everything else look. one of my best friend's mom passed a few years ago leaving just his dad in the house. no big deal, but his dad is an old school gearheard and 40s/50s stuff hoarder. after a year or so without the lady around to tell him to not bring stuff home there were 2 studebakers, a 38 dodge, and two 90s caddys in front of the house without plates on them. that and they looked like they were pulled out of a barn and he left them that way. plus the motorcycle leaning on the garage door, the 41 dodge in the garage, and the 3-4 cars in the barn behind the house....

it becomes an eyesore FAST. when you live in suburbia and not the middle of the woods it brings property value down.

it becomes an eyesore FAST. when you live in suburbia and not the middle of the woods it brings property value down.

Pretty much this. You can't sell a house if the neighbors property looks like an eyesore.

I'm sorry, but it's reality. If you don't believe that then you're living in a dream world or something.

if you live next door to a ken stien you would care

is there any fees with this HOA?

$400 a year.

I'm not jumping in and throwing down an offer, like I said I want to read everything and do a bit of research. It's been on the market a little while, and the realtor is checking to see if any other people have shown interest.

From everything I've seen/heard about with an HOA, it's about the exact opposite of a situation you'd want with this hobby. Seems to be the same as living in an apartment with what repairs/etc you're normally allowed to do.

$400 a year.

I'm not jumping in and throwing down an offer, like I said I want to read everything and do a bit of research. It's been on the market a little while, and the realtor is checking to see if any other people have shown interest.
thats not that bad is just for snow removal?

Pretty much this. You can't sell a house if the neighbors property looks like an eyesore.

I'm sorry, but it's reality. If you don't believe that then you're living in a dream world or something.

$400 a year.

And even if it doesn't bother *you* necessarily, when the appraiser comes out, they make a deduction for it based on comps around the area (my house had a small deduction for being on a 'busy street', but an adder for being adjacent to 'green acres property') and their number compared to the asking price is ultimately what the lender will base their mortgage approval on because they don't want to be upside down from the moment the papers are signed.

Link to the one you're looking at?

Back