• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Honestly dude, it's nh. You can find awesome places without the hoa, but not all hoa's are horrible. Wells, septic/leech feilds, oil heat, and no ac are alllll very common. Whole house fans are found more-so around the seacoast up here. Finding a house with central air already is definitely a benefit if you want ac. Otherwise you're options slim down dramatically.

Try to meet a few neighbors. They can give you a little insight on the hoa too. What happens a lot is out of staters move to nh because it's pretty, but are used to the rules in their home state, so they start bitching and then it's all down hill from there.

And get used to driving to go get something. That's just how it is unless you live on he main road or in an area like Nashua

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

Honestly dude, it's nh. You can find awesome places without the hoa, but not all hoa's are horrible. Wells, septic/leech feilds, oil heat, and no ac are alllll very common. Whole house fans are found more-so around the seacoast up here. Finding a house with central air already is definitely a benefit if you want ac. Otherwise you're options slim down dramatically.

Try to meet a few neighbors. They can give you a little insight on the hoa too. What happens a lot is out of staters move to nh because it's pretty, but are used to the rules in their home state, so they start bitching and then it's all down hill from there.

And get used to driving to go get something. That's just how it is unless you live on he main road or in an area like Nashua

Thanks for posting up Keith. I'm trying to go into the HOA thing unbiased, although it's hard as I was strongly against it at the beginning.

The two immediate neighbors waved and said hi when we drove by and were looking at the house. Even after seeing my rusty loud-ass Dodge :laugh:

And I'm not against driving to go get something, but the closer I can be to something and still have what I want is appealing to me.

Thanks for posting up Keith. I'm trying to go into the HOA thing unbiased, although it's hard as I was strongly against it at the beginning.

The two immediate neighbors waved and said hi when we drove by and were looking at the house. Even after seeing my rusty loud-ass Dodge :laugh:

And I'm not against driving to go get something, but the closer I can be to something and still have what I want is appealing to me.

It's going to be hit or miss with the HOA. And personally, I'm not a gambler so I don't like the HOA's around here. It all depends on how much you love the house and area. I didn't look at the ad so I don't know what it looks like or any details. But I'd be willing to bet it's going to want ac.

Love the house, love the area, not too fond of the HOA idea.

This was another house we looked at. House wasn't too bad (possibly something living in the attic as there were bite marks on the vents) and the location was really nice. Decorated real old. No HOA.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/25-Holt-Rd-Amherst-NH-03031/2113611272_zpid/

That one look like a nicer lot to me.
Just be careful with houses from that era for lead and asbestos.

That one look like a nicer lot to me.
Just be careful with houses from that era for lead and asbestos.

The house itself wasn't as nice, but the location was just as good (if not maybe slightly better) but no paved driveway. Not a big deal to me.

Good call. When did they stop doing that? I thought they stopped doing that in the early 70s?

Lead paint and asbestos both banned for household use in 1978. But with paint that didn't go bad for years because it was stopped being sold in whatever year doesn't mean it wasn't used 5 years later...

How long was the driveway?
Chris and I can give you a pretty good estimate on what it would cost to pave based on our numbers.

1974 for asbestos
1978 for lead paint

Another thing to know is that (iirc) that was only bans on new production, companies and contractors were allowed to use up existing stocks of the materials. Stupid if you ask me.

And reading that PDF, most of the bans have been removed, so technically any company stupid enough to risk that much liability and public outcry could start making asbestos products again, I think.

Another thing to know is that (iirc) that was only bans on new production, companies and contractors were allowed to use up existing stocks of the materials. Stupid if you ask me.

And reading that PDF, most of the bans have been removed, so technically any company stupid enough to risk that much liability and public outcry could start making asbestos products again, I think.

Yup from what I gather just reading on it now completely legal to import it from Canada and install it.
Really weird regulations...

Since I'm about to head out from work, I just checked traffic again for 495 to Route 3 to Amherst.

One small hiccup getting onto route 3? This is generally what I've seen the past month or so while constantly checking it all between 6:30-7:30 am and 4:30-5:30 pm.

I had to step back and breath a few times to keep myself from convincing myself that something was good or good enough.

Sounds like you need to do the same thing with this one house.

Oh another thing. You NEED to research the deed, especially if the property has been foreclosed on in the past. And you absolutely under no circumstances should buy without title insurance of your own (the mortgage title insurance only covers the bank, fyi...) or without your own real estate lawyer representing you and you alone.

If I had missed any of those I would have paid 55k for my place instead of 38 and I would have a useless piece of paper instead of a deed owned free and clear.

Back