• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

Not a fan of Red but the frog pulls it off well! I agree, you need to trim those fenders and not build a TJ! :D

Not a fan of Red but the frog pulls it off well! I agree, you need to trim those fenders and not build a TJ! :D

Agreed on both, Flexd. I'll begin trimming as soon as I figure out the best way to cut the metal.

Just ordered some Daystar KJ09101BK polyurethane bump stops and Bendix rear brake shoes from Summit Racing. Should be here by the weekend, or before Sierra Fest, at best. I broke one of my front bump stops on the Rubi this pas weekend.

dys-kj09101bk_w.jpg

Nice photos.

Of all the JK break downs was there a common thing that broke, or was it random?

I saw and heard about a few broken JK front driveshaft u-joints. I also saw the Rubicon JK sidelined on the granite slab with a welder working the front axle, but I don't recall specifically what broke on that. Might have been a control arm mount. My kid probably got a picture of that and I'll post up his pics when he returns this weekend. This guy lost his front axle someplace on the trail and had to be winched up the last obstacle into Rubicon Springs, although we think he could have made it with his rear locker only.

DSCN0219.jpg

We made a few trips to the Rubicon Springs repair shop and looked through the inbound logs for work to be done. There was a wide variety of work, from axles to shackles and plenty of tire repairs. Somebody's TJ D44 was torn down for a couple of days and I saw a few broken axle shafts lying on the bench. Pretty typical stuff.

Somebody even brought in this white XJ with a torn upper control arm mount. Looked easy enough to weld.

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Last edited:
I found a few Jambo pics from my iPhone, so I guess I'll post them up also. I might as well use up the rest of the free space on the NAXJA server...

Here was our home for 4 days.

IMG_0528.jpg

Our neighbors.

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0557-1.jpg

Piper the winch wench helped me down some MGDs.

DSCN0224.jpg

The local showers...

IMG_0583-1.jpg

IMG_0539-1.jpg

Chow time.

IMG_0654-1.jpg

IMG_0652-1.jpg

Steak night. I had two.

IMG_0646.jpg

The SOS and eggs were awesome...

IMG_0608.jpg

...and so were the burgers.

IMG_0555-1.jpg

Saturday is the vendor fair where you pick up your free crap and you have a chance to speak to the vendors about all the parts you can't afford.

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like fun, but way too many people. I really don't like going up into the wilderness, and being surrounded by hundreds of people.

Looks like fun, but way too many people. I really don't like going up into the wilderness, and being surrounded by hundreds of people.

True! The nice thing about the Cherokee Crawl is that even with 40+ rigs it still feels like its out in the wilderness since the trail system cover 275 miles of trails. We had 8 in our group, which is just about right IMHO.

I absolutely agree, but the Jambo is an event that needs to be experienced at least once. The abundance of modified rigs, excellent food, and sleep deprivation make it well worth the exhorbitant registration fees.

Sounds like bonnaroo, abundance of food and beer, no sleep, concerts all day, and the wide variety of people. Js. How hard was it to make it through all the trails in your xj?

How hard was it to make it through all the trails in your xj?

The Rubicon offered absolutely no challenge for my XJ. The combo of adequate lift, 33" KM2's, and front locker made the trail very easy. The only concerns I had were reduced braking due to water crossings just before steep drop offs, one broken bump stop, and a little fender flare damage at Cadillac Hill due to the tight turns and wet lines. Otherwise, we had zero issues. We were never high-centered and never needed any rocks stacked. I also opted for some of the more difficult lines when possible.

I purchased new Bendix brake shoes and Daystar bump stops through Summit yesterday. I have also removed all flares and will update my steering to the Currie setup this weekend in preparation for Deer Valley.

My opinion is that 33" tires and a front locker are an excellent combination for the Sierra Nevada trails.

Last edited:
Well all sounds great! My xj is just a work in progress. I have been through minor trails in town but nothing real hard, a little challenges though for not having much. But i plan to lift it and get bigger tires soon!

The Rubicon offered absolutely no challenge for my XJ. The combo of adequate lift, 33" KM2's, and front locker made the trail very easy. The only concerns I had were reduced braking due to water crossings just before steep drop offs, one broken bump stop, and a little fender flare damage at Cadillac Hill due to the tight turns and wet lines. Otherwise, we had zero issues. We were never high-centered and never needed any rocks stacked. I also opted for some of the more difficult lines when possible.

I purchased new Bendix brake shoes and Daystar bump stops through Summit yesterday. I have also removed all flares and will update my steering to the Currie setup this weekend in preparation for Deer Valley.

My opinion is that 33" tires and a front locker are an excellent combination for the Sierra Nevada trails.

32's and a front locker with plenty of Armor works great out here! You don't need a huge rig to enjoy trails, just a mildly built rig suits my fancy just fine.

32's and a front locker with plenty of Armor works great out here! You don't need a huge rig to enjoy trails, just a mildly built rig suits my fancy just fine.

My opinions will certainly piss off half of the guys in my Chapter. I'm not totally against stronger axles and 35's, but for keeping most of the rig stock, 33's are a great solution and offer plenty of trail capability.

But you know they stack the trail a few days before JJ, just way too many rigs need to get to camp. So they fill in all the holes and clean out all the simple lines for the large group to make a smooth run a day or two in advance. As you saw there was still issues with rigs, just think how ugly it would be with no prep work.

33's are a great solution and offer plenty of trail capability.

I have to agree 100%!

I think for almost all of the standard Sierra Chapter trails, a well built rig on 33's with lockers is the best way to go. Keeps the trails a challenge but your not drag'in it across the top of every rock. I would say bigger tires on Fordyce only because of the challenge of the bigger rocks, steeper lines and the water crossings are deep and cold!

Rename this thread, "THE BYPASS BLOG" or the "BULLSHIT BLOG". :looney:

Bottom line is I could not afford to go with 35's when I build this rig in the time I had available, at least the way I priced it with new(ish) parts. There is a large leap in price when you properly build a rig from 33's to 35's and I have always believed that steering, brake, and axle/gear improvements are necessary with 35's, especially when using it as a DD.

I debated a guy several pages back about the same issue and he swore that he could build an XJ on 35's for hardly any money. He did it, then sold his scary POS soon afterward. I'm not saying a reliable rig can't be built on the cheap, but I don't have the time, skill, or reachback to search/trade parts to do that.

And to answer Letterman's points, I know the Rubicon is not the same as it once was, and yes they pave it days before the JJ to get all 300 vehicles through as quickly as possible. I doubt I could have made it through the gate keeper a few years ago before they blasted away the rock, or so I'm told. I stand by my point, however, that the trail did not present much of a challenge with my configuration. Fun as hell, but not much of a challenge.

Bottom line is I could not afford to go with 35's when I build this rig in the time I had available, at least the way I priced it with new(ish) parts. There is a large leap in price when you properly build a rig from 33's to 35's and I have always believed that steering, brake, and axle/gear improvements are necessary with 35's, especially when using it as a DD.

I debated a guy several pages back about the same issue and he swore that he could build an XJ on 35's for hardly any money. He did it, then sold his scary POS soon afterward. I'm not saying a reliable rig can't be built on the cheap, but I don't have the time, skill, or reachback to search/trade parts to do that.

And to answer Letterman's points, I know the Rubicon is not the same as it once was, and yes they pave it days before the JJ to get all 300 vehicles through as quickly as possible. I doubt I could have made it through the gate keeper a few years ago before they blasted away the rock, or so I'm told. I stand by my point, however, that the trail did not present much of a challenge with my configuration. Fun as hell, but not much of a challenge.

I'm mess'n with you. You are correct, the Rubicon can be run on 33's. You have proved that. When you say you've taken the difficult lines, I think about buggies on 38's challenged by Little Sluice.

Alot of us know the capabilities of the XJ with 3 1/2" to 4 1/2" on 33's. Especially with an experienced driver. Some that went further wish they were back there on 33's. It is a balanced and able configuration. Your jeep looks clean and that's a plus.

As I have built my jeep I found I have to go further out of my way to find the challenges and the challenge is why I built the Jeep.

p.s. great picures.

I doubt I could have made it through the gate keeper a few years ago before they blasted away the rock, or so I'm told. I stand by my point, however, that the trail did not present much of a challenge with my configuration. Fun as hell, but not much of a challenge.

No you and that rig would have no issues with the old Gate Keeper, might have backed up once or twice to find the sweet spot but we all did that if we did not get lucky the first time. And for JJ it would have been paved with a few spotters to heard you threw so it would have been not much of a challenge at all.

So did they take/get everyone from Loon to the springs in one day?
Did you stop for lunch? Breaks?

Also you should call in sick next week and run it again with us!!!!! :yelclap:

There is a large leap in price when you properly build a rig from 33's to 35's and I have always believed that steering, brake, and axle/gear improvements are necessary with 35's, especially when using it as a DD.
You are right about that. However I know you, and I know that you probably wouldn't be happy with 35's on it as your daily driver. My rig, which was also very nice back in the day ;) stopped being my daily driver when I stepped up to 35s. Expensive to maintain and a lot of work to keep it riding nice. I'm glad I went with 35's back then though. No regrets!

As far as the trail conditions, I'm sure they stacked it, as they had to to get everyone through. It looks like one hell of a good time though and looking at the pics I found myself thinking it would be fun to do sometime.

Back