• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

I installed my Currie 9701 steering system last night. It was a pretty easy install and it can be done in about an hour unless you inadvertently swapped tie rod ends like I did. (Keep in mind the position of the zerks on the TREs...ha ha). After adjusting the toe in to 1/16", I test drove it and found it to be very responsive and stable. After my 35 mile drive to work today, there was no evidence of clicking or popping that I experienced with my hybrid XJ/ZJ setup, and the railroad crossing on Hwy 65 was a smooth as a baby's butt. I'm pleased with the set up.

The real test will be next Saturday on the Deer Valley trail during Sierra Fest!

During installation, FedEx Ground dropped off a package that I ordered from Summit the night before. Yeah, that was fast. Only the Bendix rear brakes shoes were in the box so I'll need to wait on the bump stops. Looks like I'll be doing a brake installation tonight so I can finally stop my Cherokee when I need to.

Last edited:
A little late now but I ran those bump stops this year and they are very stiff. I removed them, they ended up falling out and getting chewed up in the coil. I put the stock bumps back in and added a few hockey pucks.

When I get a little more cash I am going to grab a set of the poly coil inserts the jeep speed guys use.

I installed my Currie 9701 steering system last night. It was a pretty easy install and it can be done in about an hour unless you inadvertently swapped tie rod ends like I did. (Keep in mind the position of the zerks on the TREs...ha ha). After adjusting the toe in to 1/16", I test drove it and found it to be very responsive and stable. After my 35 mile drive to work today, there was no evidence of clicking or popping that I experienced with my hybrid XJ/ZJ setup, and the railroad crossing on Hwy 65 was a smooth as a baby's butt. I'm pleased with the set up.

The real test will be next Saturday on the Deer Valley trail during Sierra Fest!

During installation, FedEx Ground dropped off a package that I ordered from Summit the night before. Yeah, that was fast. Only the Bendix rear brakes shoes were in the box so I'll need to wait on the bump stops. Looks like I'll be doing a brake installation tonight so I can finally stop my Cherokee when I need to.

You will be very happy with your new steering on & off road. I know i am
very happy with my Currie steering...

A little late now but I ran those bump stops this year and they are very stiff. I removed them, they ended up falling out and getting chewed up in the coil. I put the stock bumps back in and added a few hockey pucks.

When I get a little more cash I am going to grab a set of the poly coil inserts the jeep speed guys use.

Thanks for the info. I've read the same report but decided to go with them for the short term. The only time I will contact my bump stop will be next week during Sierra Fest so I can live with it until I swap to ACOS and shorter coils. The long-term plan is to swap coils with my kid to give him a bit taller lift up front. He has 4.5" RE coils and I want to pair those with ACOS for improved handling and adjustable heights. I ran that idea past the Rubicon Express guys last weekend and they thought it would work well, and will eliminate my passenger-side spring issues I'm having.

Longer rear shackles are also in the plans. My shocks/brake lines may be ok but I'll need to flex that out to determine other options.

I get the whole you need to go bigger thing all the time but with my disabliilty and the fact that I drive it EVERYDAY I like keeping it low. I could probably go up to 4", longarms and 33's(which will probably happen) but its good for what I do here. If we get to the extreme stuff I can hop in with someone else. Yeah my junk is dented, scratched and is dirty a lot but I like driving it not working on it so I'll keep it like this and build a buggy when I hit the Lottery! :D

kelly, if you are looking for longer shackles i would look into the ironman adjustable length set. they look bulletproof & you can adjust them as needed to level the frog.
see you next weekend.

kelly, if you are looking for longer shackles i would look into the ironman adjustable length set. they look bulletproof & you can adjust them as needed to level the frog.
see you next weekend.

I recently ordered a set of these Ironman shackles and they show up next Tues/Weds. I'm going to try and throw them on before Deer Valley. You can check out how level they make my ass look.

Cool man. Checking out your ass is another benefit of Sierra Fest. I just hope it isn't going to make it sag.

Edit: I just checked out the shackles on the Ironman website. Holy crap they look good.

Last edited:
Cool man. Checking out your ass is another benefit of Sierra Fest. I just hope it isn't going to make it sag.

:laugh::laugh:

Those Ironman shackles look beefy and the adjustability is nice. I was looking at maybe some 1" JKS shackles, but for another 30 bucks I can fine tune.

"Adjustable Shackles are machined from 1.5" dia. solid steel and 2" x .281-wall DOM with 3" of adjustment for up to a 3.5" lift. Fine-tune your rear lift height in 1/24" increments. 10-1/4" between mounting bolt centers, fully extended."

Does this mean that can provide as little as .5" of lift?? Hmm....I need somewhere between .75" and 1" I think. Having the ability to add more later is attractive too.

Those Ironman shackles look beefy and the adjustability is nice. I was looking at maybe some 1" JKS shackles, but for another 30 bucks I can fine tune.

"Adjustable Shackles are machined from 1.5" dia. solid steel and 2" x .281-wall DOM with 3" of adjustment for up to a 3.5" lift. Fine-tune your rear lift height in 1/24" increments. 10-1/4" between mounting bolt centers, fully extended."

Does this mean that can provide as little as .5" of lift?? Hmm....I need somewhere between .75" and 1" I think. Having the ability to add more later is attractive too.

I think they mean that they have 3" of adjustment which is actually only 1.5" of lift. So they probably go from 2" to 3.5" of lift.

I will remove my 2" RE shackles and the Ironman will give me plenty of height adjustments in the rear to level off the ACOS that I will add to the front.

On a different topic, I tried to install the new Daystar bump stops today. Ther is no way they will fit in the bump stop tubes without serious trimming. Ugh. I will run Deer Valley without bump stops this year.

On a different topic, I tried to install the new Daystar bump stops today. Theer is no way they will fit in the bump stop tubes without serious trimming. Ugh. I will run Deer Valley without bump stops this year.

You gotta lube them up before you cram them in. I had the same problem with my "office hands" but Tim was able to cram the 6" rubber into the holes once he applied some lube.

You gotta lube them up before you cram them in. I had the same problem with my "office hands" but Tim was able to cram the 6" rubber into the holes once he applied some lube.

that just sounds wrong...:shiver:

I didn't have a buddy near buy to help jam mine in. While lube works best, I used a breaker bar for leverage against the coil and crammed them in dry.

I had to do this on the trail several time when they would pop out.

The postal jeep, the blue Scrambler and blue CJ5 pictured are all J&W related. Neil owns the postal jeep. It is a YJ frame, engine, tranny and a D300 case. Axles are waggy 44's with 37's. All right hand drive.

Back