• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

I'm back from a very successful weekend of wheeling with some NAXJA guys during srmitchell's pre-Sierra Fest July run to Corral Hollow and Deer Valley. The rig worked out well and nothing major broke, but I did earn some new pin striping and scrapes to remind me of a great weekend. Pics will be posted soon.

DSCN6830.jpg

I'm too old and spoiled to sleep in a tent, so I drove my GC and travel trailer to Hermit Valley.

DSCN6832.jpg

Here's a couple of fun shots from the July 21-23 Corral Hollow and Deer Valley runs. More photos are found on the Sierra Chapter thread for this event.

Corral Hollow:

DSCN6849.jpg

DSCN6850.jpg

DSCN6859.jpg

DSCN6866.jpg

Prepping for Deer Valley:

DSCN6874.jpg

DSCN6878.jpg

DSCN6882.jpg

DSCN6887.jpg

DSCN6896.jpg

DSCN6898.jpg

DSCN6902.jpg

DSCN6907.jpg

DSCN6912.jpg

DSCN6915.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed some strange popping in my ZJ steering after the Deer Valley run. A quick check revealed some worn joints at the axle end and tie rod/drag link connection. Instead of replacing it for another weak ZJ setup, I purchased the Currie heavy duty CE-9701 drag link/tie rod system. it wont be in until after my Rubicon trip, but I'm sure my ZJ setup will last until next week.

Install pics next week after the Jeepers Jamboree.

I noticed some strange popping in my ZJ steering after the Deer Valley run. A quick check revealed some worn joints at the axle end and tie rod/drag link connection. Instead of replacing it for another weak ZJ setup, I purchased the Currie heavy duty CE-9701 drag link/tie rod system. it wont be in until after my Rubicon trip, but I'm sure my ZJ setup will last until next week.

you may want to also install a goferit tie rod flip insert. it will raise the tie rod almost 3". they are easy to install & well worth the effort.

X2 on flipping the rod over, sits to low, bent mine right quick. With it being solid stock it still wheels but I hate looking at the bend, need to press it back soon.

X2 on flipping the rod over, sits to low, bent mine right quick. With it being solid stock it still wheels but I hate looking at the bend, need to press it back soon.

Nice pics, I like the gunmetal blue XJ! :D

Great idea. Sorry that didn't last longer for you.

BTW, when you get it, can you check and see if the currie draglink/ tie rod uses the same tie rod end taper as stock?

I was thinking about using the currie draglink with my stock style DOM tie rod. :yelclap:

To all you haters out there, suck on this ha ha. When I get it, I'm gonna paint it night and bright red just to piss you off. :)

ce9701.jpg

Sean, I believe the rod ends are the same size. No drilling or reaming required, which is why I did not go with the JCR 1-ton setup.

ce-9701dlr.jpg

Left drag link end ^

ce-9701trr.jpg

Tie rod end ^

ce-9701trl.jpg

Left drag link end ^

Last edited:
Two person group buy? We could split the shipping and it would knock the price down $2 each as well. We'll both be at the Rubicon for Sierra Fest...

I'll have to do a little more reading first though. I thought I remember something about the Goferit's cracking or something?

Two person group buy? We could split the shipping and it would knock the price down $2 each as well. We'll both be at the Rubicon for Sierra Fest...

I'll have to do a little more reading first though. I thought I remember something about the Goferit's cracking or something?

The goferit's good, just remember you are welding them into the cast outer C's so weld accordingly (Cast= pre-heat/slow cool . . . bla bla bla)

I am on my forth set of Currie steering . . . it bends and the TRE's fail after a few years. I had a drag link end sheer off and dropped a tie-rod at 75 MPH, but I still think it is the best steering to replace stock (bolt in) you can buy.

Drag link end sheered off about 500 feet past Thousand Dollar hill (Currie Replaced it for free):
CurryDragLink.jpg

But you might want to make sure you can run the Goferit flip kit with the Currie, I know on the TJ's you have to remove any drop Pitman arm and go back to stock to make the Currie fit.

my currie steering was a bolt up deal.
i have installed a few others while doing the goferit insert flip at the same time & can bang them out quick. you loose your driver side sway bar mount when you flip it though.
if you guys want to do a group buy on inserts i can host an install party at my fun factory in san jose. i know it's a fair distance for you but the welding will be free. :wave1:

my currie steering was a bolt up deal.
i have installed a few others while doing the goferit insert flip at the same time & can bang them out quick. you loose your driver side sway bar mount when you flip it though.

Going to be using the JCR sway bar mounts which I believe are designed to work with their 1-ton OTK kit. Think I'd still have interference issues with my Currie steering?

Going to be using the JCR sway bar mounts which I believe are designed to work with their 1-ton OTK kit. Think I'd still have interference issues with my Currie steering?

not sure, but we can always modify them if needed.
i have a plasma cutter, mig, tig, etc. etc...:repair:

Back