• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

Thats awesome, after i get my cherokee build done i want to do a postal jeep build or a willy.

Cherokee builds are never done....:)

On a somewhat related note, I checked out the vehicles at Sierra College last weekend in search of my next project vehicle. I found a sweet 1982 Toyota 4X4 pickup with solid axles, 22R motor, and 4-speed manual tranny. The dude wanted 5k which was too much, but that would have been a nice machine to play with. I decided against it since parts, power, and gearing options would prevent me from the rig I have in mind, but I really thought hard about grabbing it.

Last edited:
That is way too much.. you could get a newer one, extra cab, better motor, then just do a SAS. Thats the one thing I hated about the older Yotas, not enough leg room.

Agreed. The 22R is a good motor but it would probably need an overhaul with the oil slick that was underneath it. Body was in good shape but suspension was old and would need to be replace with something taller anyway. The dude was trying to get as out of it as possible but I would not buy it for more than 2k as is. Plus, the kid was annoyed with me for even entertaining the idea of owning a Toyota ha ha.

The kid and I left Hermit Valley after the dinner and raffle last night (Saturday). Got home around 1230 and will need to inspect the driveline for damage considering the odd vibrations on the way home last night.

We wanted to stay for Slickrock today but we have too much going on to stay another day. Strawberry and Deer Valley were both great and did not disappoint. Pretty good turnout for SF as well. Pictures to be posted sometime this week.

Here's some recent pics of Strawberry...

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

Here's tayman at painted rock:
IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

and some more:
IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

DSCN0308.jpg

DSCN0328.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

Strawberryrunlookout.jpg

Top of the peak:
Strawberryrunpeak.jpg

Wow those two panoramic pics are absolutely amazing. Makes me want to get out and take some like that!
Great pics!

Agreed. The kid made me some amazing framed panoramic prints of our recent trips to Utah, Yosemite, and the Sierras. I decorated my office with them yesterday and they look great. I'm gonna need a bigger office...

Great shots! Strawberry is looking a little challenging. Is that because of the lines you guys picked or would 2.5" lift and 31" A/Ts struggle to get through?

100K XJ - What camera are you shooting with? And what program to stitch those together? I'm into photography a little bit.

You will do fine on on Strawberry with 31" tires. In fact, you might have more fun than those on taller tires, as long as you have some protection and recovery points. Let me know if you want to wheel that trail and I will get some guys together.

I have the Canon T1i, bought it last year and at the time it was the best for the price, and the first to offer HD video. I use Arcsoft Panorama Maker, just some program on a cd that came with an older point and shoot but it works great. I hear Microsoft ICE (image composits editor) works well and you can tweak the pics even more. I also use Adobe Lightroom (best tool ever) and an HDR program (not used here...yet) called Photomatix.

Here's two HDR's (High Dynamic Range) I took on the Rubicon last month:
IMG_9582_3_4_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_9632_3_4_tonemapped.jpg

Here's pics from Deer Valley:
Gatekeeper:
IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Haha I love it when I get the honors of pulling you out :)
IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

DSCN0331.jpg

DSCN0334.jpg

DSCN0340.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

Stuck again hehe
IMG_0183.jpg

Cute, Kevin. Thanks for posting pictures of all my "stucks" while I was busy working all day to put food in your mouth and a roof over your head. Ha ha

I have a few special pics of you that I will post later. ;)

Back