• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

Congrats on the hardware acquisition. I think you made a great decision and I hope you post up some pics on the FB when you get it installed. Ih ate to ask, but...what's next on the list?

oh I will!! Here is my plan. I wont be starting this until I have all of the parts in hand. I am going to be on 35's with 5.5 inches of lift.
-RE 3.5 shackles + RC 2 inch shackles-CHECK (although i may need to AAL)
-RC 6 inch LA kit-CHECK
-RE 5.5 Coils-CHECK
-A.A. SYE-Will be ordering in the next week... thanks again Kevin for buying my locker to fund my SYE =p
-Rear Driveshaft-Going to use a front driveshaft out of an Auto XJ until funds exist for a Tom Woods
-HP Dana 30- Still on the lookout. Im not going to re-gear my LP
-4.88 gears-I am going to re-gear both axles
-Shocks-Still on the lookout for a possible used set
-Rigidco Front Bumper-Ordering it within the week.

I have a big list but hopefully i can get it all by the middle of summer so i will be ready to run the Con. Those are my future plans. Feel free to comment on them and tell me if im doing anything wrong or the route you would go. I love getting others opinions!!!

Today is my wife and my 25th wedding anniversary. That's not Jeep related, but worth adding to the FB. I can't imagine sticking with me for that long.

Congratulations Kelly! You should celebrate by buying more jeep parts! :p

Congratulations Kelly! You should celebrate by buying more jeep parts! :p

I'm done with that until I break something on the trail this season. Filling my tank every three days is getting expensive and the extra bucks spent on gas would have gone to more parts. OPEC thrives and our beloved American vendors suffer. Economics is a bitch.

Yeah gas prices are getting out if hand too. Should be a fun season though.

Wow!! Nice rigs guys! I'm new to the whole Cherokee thing. You guys seem to know a lot. I would love to be a part of your group and learn from you guys. I'm in Sacramento (Natomas)...if you guys have a meeting or something scheduled, let me know. That is if you would be open to having another new guy on the trail with you.

Here are a couple of pics of mine...its a work in progress:

Mine is a 96XJ
When I got her in October 2010:
car3.jpg

As she sits today:
IMG00716-20110412-1216.jpg

front.jpg

I'm done with that until I break something on the trail this season. Filling my tank every three days is getting expensive and the extra bucks spent on gas would have gone to more parts. OPEC thrives and our beloved American vendors suffer. Economics is a bitch.

I about cried filling up Betsy yesterday. $69 hurt a little and my gas light wasn't even on. Its hovering around $4 here I can only imagine what you guys are paying! :eek: Economics are indeed a bitch. Hopefully gearing the ole girl will help me out. I went to my first meeting with the local club I joined and managed to average 20 mpg(31's and stock gears, now 32's) on the way there, It helped that I had a tailwind! :D

Oh and congrats on the 25 years of marriage dude! :cheers:

Last edited:
Man $4 would be nice. I've been paying a consistent $4.35, and we just filled our wj with premium, it was $4.55.

Man $4 would be nice. I've been paying a consistent $4.35, and we just filled our wj with premium, it was $4.55.

I just hope those oil speculator morons don't dig us right back into the hole we crawled out of! 20 miles north of me its 3.56.........WTF!

It hasn't been under 4.00 here is probably 2 months. That's BS.

A full tank for me is over $75.00. hahaha

My timing is really off. Back in 2008 when gas prices rose past 4.00 per gallon I decided to buy a 2008 Honda Civic EX-L. Nice little car but I added a $2,000 sport trim option to make me feel better about driving a rice burner. That vehcle typically got 36 mpg during my 2-hour daily commute (one hour each way).

As soon as I bought it, gas started dropping, and remained around $3.00 and often below. Not good, but certainly not the feared $5.00 we were "promised" back then. Anyway, after putting on 45k miles, I decided to sell the commuter-scooter and opt to drive my '06 WK w/Hemi or '99 XJ to work. I fill the tank every 3 days on the commuter Jeep, and every week on the grocery getter.

As soon as I sold the Honda, gas prices began it's rapid climb past $4.00. In the meantime, I have planned a 2,000 mile road trip through Utah and Arizona (Moab, Brice Canyon, Grand Canyon, etc) in early June, when gas will surely be 5 bucks. I also bought a 2011 travel trailer to tow behind my Grand Cherokee, just to ensure my daily 14 mpg is reduced to 9 mpg with the 25' trailer behind it.

So, amidst these high gas prices, I am faced with driving either of two Jeeps that regularly get 13-15 mpg, subsidizing my kid's fuel bill while he's in college (he drives a lifted 2001 XJ), and basing family weekends and vacations on the least cost effective means possible. I am an asshat.

:patriot:

My timing is really off. Back in 2008 when gas prices rose past 4.00 per gallon I decided to buy a 2008 Honda Civic EX-L. Nice little car but I added a $2,000 sport trim option to make me feel better about driving a rice burner. That vehcle typically got 36 mpg during my 2-hour daily commute (one hour each way).

As soon as I bought it, gas started dropping, and remained around $3.00 and often below. Not good, but certainly not the feared $5.00 we were "promised" back then. Anyway, after putting on 45k miles, I decided to sell the commuter-scooter and opt to drive my '06 WK w/Hemi or '99 XJ to work. I fill the tank every 3 days on the commuter Jeep, and every week on the grocery getter.

As soon as I sold the Honda, gas prices began it's rapid climb past $4.00. In the meantime, I have planned a 2,000 mile road trip through Utah and Arizona (Moab, Brice Canyon, Grand Canyon, etc) in early June, when gas will surely be 5 bucks. I also bought a 2011 travel trailer to tow behind my Grand Cherokee, just to ensure my daily 14 mpg is reduced to 9 mpg with the 25' trailer behind it.

So, amidst these high gas prices, I am faced with driving either of two Jeeps that regularly get 13-15 mpg, subsidizing my kid's fuel bill while he's in college (he drives a lifted 2001 XJ), and basing family weekends and vacations on the least cost effective means possible. I am an asshat.

I'm not letting gas prices stop me from enjoying my rig. I wanted one for as long as I can remember and at 23 I got my first Jeep. Unlike most of you fellas I have a disability that prevents me from hiking and a few other outdoor activities. The XJ let's me enjoy nature and hauls all my crap with me. I still get around good but have problems with inclines, stairs and stuff like that, the Jeep, however, does not. :D If its what you enjoy and you can afford it, be an asshat! :D

Last edited:
That is bad timing.

That's why we're investing in a Golf TDI soon, 45 mpg would be great, and they're fun to drive.

I've started wheeling with friends. My last trip, I brought 4 people, it was 100 miles, 50 off road. I only paid $20 for gas, and my friends helped by dropping a combined 60 bucks. Not too bad. Car pool ftw.

That is bad timing.

That's why we're investing in a Golf TDI soon, 45 mpg would be great, and they're fun to drive.

I've started wheeling with friends. My last trip, I brought 4 people, it was 100 miles, 50 off road. I only paid $20 for gas, and my friends helped by dropping a combined 60 bucks. Not too bad. Car pool ftw.

I bought a Golf TDI 5 months ago and have saved 3 grand in fuel so far. This is after insurance and maintenance. I love the car.

I was hoping you'd chime in.

I've convinced my dad that we need a DD tdi. Such awesome cars.
Still happy. It's very comfortable, has pep and is the perfect a to b commuter. I just can't understand why diesel is more than premium.

When we first got into RVing, we hooked up our 24' 4000LB Trail Lite to our 01 Cherokee and went up to Mt Lassen, Dunsmuir and Klamath Falls and endured the 10 MPG. It was a good enough experience such that we went full on with a F250 6.0L diesel and towing the same trailer we pull down 14-15 MPG on the same runs. It was good until the year before last I did a fill up while on vacation in Washington State for $5.35/gal. The record high happened to be the week I was there. Now there's timing. The fuel differential now is pretty close with the Cherokee @ 15 MPG commuting and the truck is about 16. Cherokee wins on the City.

We use the truck for trips to get away and the fuel cost may help me plan and drive economically but it won't stop me. Bottled water is still more expensive and you only rent that!

I'd love to have a tdi. I think i'm just gonna rock a civic hatchback for a while and buy a house first.

...Bottled water is still more expensive and you only rent that!

True enough, but I'd complain about the price of bottled water if I drank...er rented 5 gallons a day.

5 gallons of gas x 4.00 = 20 bucks per day for my commute. That adds up pretty quickly to 5,000 dollars per year, just for the drive to work. Even at 30 mpg, I would spend around $2500, and that's ton of Happy Meals. Realistically, we are all paying huge gas taxes just to make a living. Why do we put up with that? Revolt, anyone?

Last edited:
Back