• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

Awesome Pictures!

Nice pics! Jeeps looking good!

How do you like those pro-comp lights?

My rig has the bubble pre-cat and all I needed was a free-flowing piece from flange to pre-cat, so the TC skid was not a factor. However, if you need to repalce the full sized cat, you'll need to remove the skid for access. In fact, I had to modify the cat bracket to get the TC skid installed when I first put it on. If you need better pics, let me know.

Oh, while your skid is removed, I suggest replacing your tranny mount.

Oh ok, got ya. Well, I need to remove the crossmember anyways when I swap in the T-case with SYE. So, while I have it out I will do a tranny mount. Might as well get my frame stiffeners welded on too then get the skid back on.

Oh ok, got ya. Well, I need to remove the crossmember anyways when I swap in the T-case with SYE. So, while I have it out I will do a tranny mount. Might as well get my frame stiffeners welded on too then get the skid back on.

Will the skid go back on with stiffeners? I worried about skid going up the outside of the frame rail and it being to wide with stiffeners.

Josh

I think that knucklehead_61 ran the JCR skid with the frame stiffeners without any problems. I plan on doing the same when I swap my tcase out for his.

Will the skid go back on with stiffeners? I worried about skid going up the outside of the frame rail and it being to wide with stiffeners.

Josh

I don't remember off hand who it was but someone just put a floor jack under it and jacked it up into place over the stiffeners.

Well I got the jeep hitched up to the camper for Winterfest. After having to order an 11" drop hitch insert I can tow my camper correctly. This is my first trip hauling anything on the interstate so wish me luck! I will try to get some good pictures for you!

Nice pics! Jeeps looking good!

How do you like those pro-comp lights?

Those lights suck, but you get what you pay for ha ha ha. Speaking of which, I paid $34.88 for them during last year's March Madness sale at 4Wheel Parts in Sacto. The best part of that sale was testing out the RTI ramp, eating free burgers and dogs, visiting with some fellow NAXJA buds, and listening to some good music. Pretty cool day.

They put out decent light for the 55W Halogen bulbs, but if you can swing it, get better lights. I don't care for the frequently fogging glass lens, cheap metal housing, or mounting brackets. I'll use them until they fall off. Personally, I like something like these...

piaa_520_ion_crystal_black_set.jpg

Last edited:
I had my exhaust reworked by Marco Muffler yesterday and I'm completely happy with the results. I had all of my suspicions confirmed. My exhaust leak and whistle was indeed coming from the crappy welding job and flex pipe installed last year by a shop in Rocklin. Because I am running a pre-cat, I was using a very small flex pipe that did nothing to prevent shock damage, and was the cause for so many of my leak and restriction problems.

It took the guy about an hour to fab up a new flange and mandrel-bent piece from flange to pre-cat. His welds were beautiful and the exhaust finally flows smoothly out of the header collector and into the cat. Power off the line is noticeable, and I now have a nice rumble from the Magnaflow that I had expected last year. I'll post up a pic or two, along with a bit more detail and information about a nice header kit they sell when I have more time.

If you are looking for a real good exhaust shop in the Sacramento area, try out Marco Muffler on 5181 Auburn Blvd. I even found a 10% coupon on their website. Oh, it also helps to know the guy working my rig is a huge Cherokee fan and is very familiar with the nuances between the years. He's looking for a Cherokee to replace his sold TJ. Gotta love that.

0225111432.jpg

Just flinging his shop some well deserved attention.

Here's a quick update for my exhaust repair/upgrade after several days of city/hwy driving...

Definite power increase. I have noticed a sweet power increase off the line and during acceleration at speed. Power now exceeds my own.

Noticeable sound improvement. Magnaflow muffler now sounds manly and capable. Went from Justin Bieber to Mel Gibson (circa Mad Max).

Fuel mileage increase. Filled up today and calculated well into the 15 mpg range. This is despite a mix of city/why driving, which would normally yield 13-14 mpg. Will check again in 3 days and will not be surprised if I get 16 mpg.

Reduced engine vibration. While running with poly bushings in my Brown Dog engine mounts, I have had steady engine vibes at idle. This has been enough to shake the dust off my dash and rattle my radio loose. Although tolerable, I figured it was due to the stiffer bushings. With the improved exhaust, I now have ZERO vibes at idle and the engine runs as smooth as a baby's butt under normal driving conditions.

Peace of mind. Questions regarding value of APN header have now been restored. With the above benefits, I am now a firm believer in the APN and Magnaflow combo and will recommend that affordable upgrade to anyone.

Good to know you have success with the APN header. I have to replace mine before I smog in may and will be buying one myself.

The APN is cheap and fairly well built. However, when I was at Marco, the dude showed me a really nice header for 189.00. Strong, internal welds, mandrel bent pipes welded to the collector, and flex tubes at pipes 1 and 6. Price includes gasket to cylinder head and new downpipe gasket and bolts. Looked a bit better than the APN and fits years from '91 to '01. Before you buy, I suggest comparing them.

Would it be possible for you to ask him for some details on that header? Brand, part number, etc? Don't think I'll be making it up to see Marco myself given the drive...

Would it be possible for you to ask him for some details on that header? Brand, part number, etc? Don't think I'll be making it up to see Marco myself given the drive...

Yeah, I'll call him. I want him to weld up my mini skids, so I can get the info and take some pics for you while I'm there. When are you looking to get the header?

No immediate plans. Just wanted to get the info while you were still thinking about it. I'm planning on getting a new exhaust system from header to tip eventually, but I have a few other projects to knock out first.

I totally dig Brown Dog humor. :yelclap:

Oh, and by the way, good job on the 15-bolt Brown Dog engine mounts featured under New Products in Petersen's 4Wheel & Off Road, March 2011 edition, p. 77. I sincerely hope that brings you tons of business for the new year.

I saw the ad today while flying home from my business trip to Arizona. I got all weepy inside when I saw the photo of the mounts, then I remembered my Jeep waiting for me at the airport with its 4.0 I6 motor secured by its own set of Brown Dog mounts. Then I thought of Dog...mounts...and started laughing. The guy seated next to me looked at me with a concerned expression. He turned, stared blankly at the headrest in front of him, and ate his tiny bag of peanuts.

Brown Dog's super mount bracket's saved my ass! Back in October all three right side engine mount bracket bolts sheered off in my block (don't ask me how) after a failed attempt at extracting them I figured I was SOL until I came across Brown Dog's website and grabbed an S2572-RE. Even without the three original mount bolts I now have more bolts securing the mount bracket to the block than the factory mount had! :thumbup:

hey kelly would you mind taking a side picture of your bumper? I am looking into getting the same bumper as you except with the pre-runner hoops. Would you recommend this bumper again or something different. WHat have the pros and cons been so far? Thanks!

hey kelly would you mind taking a side picture of your bumper? I am looking into getting the same bumper as you except with the pre-runner hoops. Would you recommend this bumper again or something different. WHat have the pros and cons been so far? Thanks!

I presume you are talking about the front JCR bumper. So far, I like everything about it. For a moderately priced bumper, it gives me the look and functionality that I want. The side protection blends well with the fender flares, and the hoop gives me a good place to mount my lights and surrounds the winch when I have that installed. I have used the front receiver many times for pushing my trailer in the garage, so that is useful for more than a winch mounting point. Further, the approach angle is excellent and the uni-body tie ins seem to be holding up well, despite pulling and winching several people.

I chose this bumper because I did not want to run with the extra winch weight all the time, as this is my DD and it sits outside 99% of the time. If it were not for that, I would have purchased the JCR winch bumper. All JCR products have superior welds and overall quality. Again, this is my second front JCR bumper, and I also have their rear bumper and TC skid. I am a fan.

The only drawback I know if is having room for the lights when I install the winch. I usually just reverse the lights and have the pointed up, but I seldom use the lights and it would make more sense to simply remove them (via QD wiring), but I always seem to keep them attached. I'm a sucker for gadgets, and this Jeep is like my own jumbo Swiss Army knife.

I'll look for some pics to post up. Hope the info helps. If you want to trade for a winch bumper, let me know. I might be convinced to trade up.

Thanks Kelly!! I am looking for a new bumper for my jeep after i got hit. I have always wanted an aftermarket bumper on there and i fell like now is the time. I have been looking at just about every bumper made for XJ's and im stuck between JCR, TNT, and AJ's. Here are my thoughts:

JCR: I have their sliders and love them!!! They have paid for themselves over and over again! I know you have the front and rear bumpers and they seem to be holding up great and you always say great things about them. I have read hundreds of reviews and everybody seems to like their JCR products except for the picky few, or those stupid quarter guards that wont line up. The thing i like about their bumper is how close it fits to the body! it gives you a better approach angle compared to others out there. I would get the winch bumper but, the money isnt there and i have no need for one yet. Maybe down the road i will get a winch, but that is one of the last things on my list. I also saw what Eric did to his bumper and like that idea. Hopefully when i want a winch, i will be able to cut into the JCR bumper and fit a winch and winch plate on there while keeping the great approach angle.

TNT: I am looking at their winch bumper and love it! I like the looks of it and hear nothing but great things about their work! The only thing i dont like is the approach angle with the winch bumper, plus the HUGE stinger. If they could recess the winch a little more i would probably get that bumper in a heartbeat.

AJ's: I LOVE HIS BUMPERS!!! but again, the funds arent really there. I know everybody says to wait and pay for it all at once, but i want to replace my bumper soon before i possibly get hit again. His bumpers have good approach angle but i have seen better.

Those are my thoughts on bumpers. Sorry for the rant on the Frog Blog. And i wish i had a winch bumper to trade lol.. although i would probably put it on my jeep

Back