• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

Towing? Piece 'o cake.

2004 Trail Lite at 4000 Ilbs. behind a 2001 Limited at ShASTA Dam on the way back from Mt. Lassen.

DSCN1921.jpg

Kelly would be dissappointed if I did not throw up a couple of posers. I might also add that serveral parts of the stock Frog are being repurposed for a restoration/upgrade I am doing on a 2000 XJ Sport that is emerging as a Limited.

While the blue one will not see anything beyond the trail head on the Rubicon, it has seen its share of construction sites across the US.

BlankDSCN7300.jpg

blankDSCN7302.jpg

Your '01 XJ is looking very nice. Great job with the restoration, and I'm happy to know the Frog parts have found a good home. Really nice, Bill.

Oh, and I am absolutely amazed at your ability to tow the travel trailer. Have engine mods have you done? Any problems making it to ShAsta? I had plenty of temp issues with a trailer with less weight. I bow to your trailering prowess.

No real mods per se. I changed out the air intake to a K&N and changed the coolant regularly. I ordered it with the Trailering Package with the Trans Aux Cooler and factory 17" dia rims, and threw on the Prodigy brake controller. That and keeping it out of overdrive made life manageable.

The very first trip up to Shingletown was before they straightened out some of the curves and flattened the grades was interesting. There is a long grade just before shingletown that makes the high HP and low torque vehicles crawl. We would still hold 45 MPH and pass semis. Of course that is pedal to the floor and the intake manifold grabbing most of the ambient low density oxygen for on square mile (3500 ASL).

We did about seven trips with this set up and determined that the towing was harder on us than the Cherokee and the mileage being pretty dreadful on those hauls, and I must confess,we brought in the relief pitcher which was the F250 diesel which has more creature comforts for the long hauls up to Washington and Oregon.

The Trail Lite was one of the first Lightweight TTs on the market several years ago but today there are even lighter ones that are larger. I suspect your Kodiak is probably one of those.

The biggest limitation for any vehicle's tow capacity is the frontal area of the trailer. The number is in each owners manual but for the Cherokee the limit is on the order of about 65 SF. This "Drag" is one of the biggest challenges for the drivetrain to work against (a raked or sloped front helps a lot). The load balance is the other. You will enjoy the tighness and sense of security that the Weight Distributing Hitch provides, but its benefits are really maximized with a well balanced load in the trailer with the tongue weight being kept in the sweet spot.

Welcome to the world of easier setups and moveouts. Coming home and not having to air things out will provide for more Frog time!

It rolled off the Toledo line on May 1, 2001 at 7 AM.

Yep It was part of the last month and a half of production before they brought it all to an end. I waited 10 weeks to pick it up from the time I ordered it and found out that they had stopped production of the XJs for a spell to beef up the production of the Libertys across town at the new plant. They resumed in late April/early May and the last month and half of production was purportedly to fill all the special orders and a government run. My dealership in Massillon, Ohio was checking on status almost everyday and was able to see what was going on. By the time it had come in I had moved to Baltimore and had to fly back to Ohio to pick it up.

While it sat at the dealership waiting for me to pick it up, the salesman said that there were at least 20 people that wanted to buy it right on the spot and pay above MSRP before they told that it was a special order and not considered dealer stock that was available for sale.

The last run tended to have Dana 35s if you ordered a Trac-Loc differential as the supply of the 8.25s were getting thin for the XJ production. Not running bigger tires and mostly towing and snow type activities the rear has been trouble free.

Wolfgang made a serious business mistake when sunsetting the XJ. I do not know of any SUV/non pickup with such a following and aftermarket demand that goes 10 years beyond the day of final production. Daimler's influence on the vehicle production and quality is noticeable but they missed a great opportunity to cash in on branding MOPAR accessories for the XJ like Sergio is laying out for the JK. Can you imagine a lift kit that is truly bolt on with all the parts and pieces needed from one mfr that results in no additional problems or challlenges emerging after the install. And perhaps without having to have a welder or having to cut off factory brackets?

Maybe they will do a retro version like they did with the redo of the Barracuda.

We can only hope because every month more and more XJs head to the junk yard after having been in a simple accident and the vehicle totaled by the insurance companies.

That is one of the most beautiful XJ's I've seen. Wow.

As it was written, so it was done (Yul Brunner said something like that)!

My suspension is now all OME. Got the rear shocks replaced finally. Those Aussies make a tough bushing to remove. It rides so much better now.

I'm on a business trip to Patuxent River, Maryland this week. Drove for 2.5 hours from Dulles International AP to the hotel and only saw one lifted XJ (White, sparsely equipped, pre-96 on 35's with no NAXJA decal). There's plenty of nice stock Cherokee's out here, but only one modified XJ so far.

Beautiful place. Just ate a haddock sandwich overlooking Chesapeak Bay. Hope we don't get a Noreaster.

You should have flown into BWI. Better access to more stuff than around Chantillly VA. Although you could check out some battlefields on the way back to Dulles.

I am sitting in the Dulles terminal now and waiting for my flight back to Sacto. I am glad nobody (TSA) touched my junk. We hit the Smithsonian Air Museum on the way here. I get to come back here in June but I have trips to san diego and Utah first. Busy time of year.

Back