• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing stock class KOH XJ build

FYI - they make an upgraded front output rear 'cap' that is stronger than this one. Seems lots of people were breaking them. I think Advance Adapters makes them now after a few companies made them.

108_5044-R.jpg

Kraqa on Pirate made a few as well -
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/35180050-post28.html

IMG_20150826_081805.jpg

Not a lot of pictures from this weekend, i ended up getting sick and going home early.

We managed to get our hands on new hubs for the warn kit. It seems that in the 15-20 years since ours were made, the design changed. Probably no big deal for most applications, but we run them with the rotor on the wrong side, and it didn't work for us.

IMG_20170107_135152624_zpsxbairr6q.jpg

In order to machine it, Dallas first had to make some tooling.

IMG_20170107_170443692_zpshwjrat3u.jpg

IMG_20170107_170609283_zpsvgbiq45j.jpg

IMG_20170107_172400036_zpsebsu7plj.jpg

IMG_20170107_172432228_TOP_zpsgxskdyzx.jpg

IMG_20170107_172440217_zpsvlfrm0ge.jpg

You may not be able to tell here, but those are CNC cut special made tabs for holding it down, bent on the iron worker.

IMG_20170107_174052600_zpsklscumvq.jpg

IMG_20170107_174509215_zpsbw0hs1ih.jpg

IMG_20170107_174702483_zpsoy86myuu.jpg

.188 of chips later and we have triplets.

IMG_20170107_185422176_TOP_zpscuqqgef7.jpg

New centric rotors, black magic pads, stoptech calipers, and all new internals.

brakes_zpsmvga1xnj.jpg

I think we need some sexy new drive flanges to go with it.

Last edited:
Centric rotors, race proven.

Still running the spindle lock kit?

Still running stage 8's yes. On a second set now because a helper impacted one off without removing the lock ring. ;)

Absolutely love them. Talked to Stage 8 at SEMA about making ring gear bolt locks for the dana 60, they are interested.. They are doing them for the 9" now.

When Cal went to assemble those hubs I noticed that the stub axles had a ton of in-out play in them. Nearly half an inch! I've never seen that much in that spot. Thinking about it though, the way the drive flange caps go on it ends up pulling the axle all the way into the hub, which normally would be fine. With his setup however there are a couple differences. First, by pulling the drive flange that far out, to pull the axle that far out, you're actually pulling it past the end of the splines in the hub a little bit, giving only partial engagement. Hasn't been a problem so far, but more engagement is always better. The other thing I realized is that in a normal WJ swap setup you run a 1/4" spacer between the knuckle and hub in order to center the U-joint between the ball joints. Cal is running a 1/2" spacer, so by pulling the axle all the way in he's actually going past the centerline.

So here's the fix. Simple piece of 2" aluminum carved into a 1/4" spacer. Keeps the drive flange where it should be, as well as the u-joint.

108_5109-R.jpg

108_5112-R.jpg

108_5116-R.jpg

Cal used to carry an aluminum floor jack in the car, and the mounting system was........well really there wasn't one. This year we decided to shed some weight and go with something better, a big scissor jack. It will lift a full 24" high, and is raised using the same 3/4" socket as the lugnuts. Using a cordless impact it's quite fast and easy. I just added a base plate and a new top piece that will cradle the axle.

108_5125-R.jpg

That was easy enough, now to mount it. I hate having to strap things down, so I decided to use the jacks own motion to our advantage. Welded a simple peg onto the roll cage, and a plate with a couple pins for the base.
108_5128-R.jpg

Just set the base of the jack onto the pins and open it up onto the cage, tighten it up, and done.

108_5127-R.jpg

Next up was the impact gun that we'll be using to run the jack, and to remove lug nuts in event of a flat. So here's what I made for that.

108_5136-R.jpg

Once again I went with the theme of using the tool to hold itself in place. You slide the back of the gun into the cup, put it in reverse and run the threaded stud into the socket until everything clamps in place. To remove, you just put the tool in forward and run the stud back down.

108_5138-R.jpg

It would be silly of us to rely on just that electric impact, because batteries die and power tools can quit on you, so I wanted a manual backup. A simple breaker bar would do, but Cal had been talking about this fancy snap-on speed breaker he has. Basically a speed handle with a wobble at the end that lets you flip it sideways and use as a breaker bar, then straighten out and spin quickly. Those are a little spendy though, and I didn't want something too fancy riding in the race car, so I decided to combine a cheap harbor freight breaker bar and an old speed handle I already had.

108_5119-R.jpg

Cut the end off the speed handle, and drill out the end of the breaker bar...

108_5120-R.jpg

Then a little welding and you're done. One long ass breaker bar, with integrated speed handle.
108_5124-R.jpg

Where is the fancy mount for that breaker bar?

My expectations have been raised...

Nice work.

Funny this should come up tonight. I was just using my old speedwrench not five minutes before I read this. Those are tough to find these days because nobody knows what they are.

The old trick still work ;)

I have broken 2 of those HF breaker bars. do yourself a favor and get something a little bit nicer.

Still running stage 8's yes. On a second set now because a helper impacted one off without removing the lock ring. ;)

Absolutely love them. Talked to Stage 8 at SEMA about making ring gear bolt locks for the dana 60, they are interested.. They are doing them for the 9" now.

I have broken 2 of those HF breaker bars. do yourself a favor and get something a little bit nicer.

I have a nice snap on SN4B we can use (which is how the conversation started), but Dallas felt like it is too expensive of a tool to throw in the car. A discussion we may have again still, but I'll leave it his decision.

SN4B.jpg

so why did you guys tear the atlas apart ?

Curious what you were doing when they broke. This is purely for changing tires, so I'm honestly not that worried.

Speed handles are a common tool in the aircraft industry. Not as uncommon as you might think.

Speed handles are common, speed breakers not as much.

ok so here's the mount for the speed bar.

Started with an assortment of tubing, custom sized washers, bolt, spring, etc.

108_5129-R.jpg

Weld some bits together

108_5131-R.jpg

At this point you slide the spring down inside the big tube, run the bolt down the center and use a washer and nut to retain it inside, giving you a spring loaded socket for the end of the breaker bar.

108_5132-R.jpg

You then weld that socket onto the roll cage, and the other little handle retainer socket the appropriate distance apart to give you a tensioned grip on the tool. To remove, simply push into the spring loaded end, and swing out of the mount.

108_5144-R.jpg

So there's all the tire changing tools all neatly mounted and easy to access next to the spare tire.

108_5145-R.jpg

Back