• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So how about Sandy?

Gotta test that roof somehow.
oh it's been tested already :guitar: the tornado, halloween snowstorm, and all the microbursts we've had this summer haven't gotten it to leak a drop.

So far Sandy has been less interesting than a few thunderstorms we had this summer. Chainsaws and jeep are ready to roll though...

oh it's been tested already :guitar: the tornado, halloween snowstorm, and all the microbursts we've had this summer haven't gotten it to leak a drop.

So far Sandy has been less interesting than a few thunderstorms we had this summer. Chainsaws and jeep are ready to roll though...
maybe it will blow all the junk out of your yard into your neighbor's :D

Gotta test that roof somehow.

Do you work in the city?

Yes. I work at Bolling AFB (Joint Base Anacostia Bolling). A joyous 12 mile 60 minute drive, unless there is a nationals game, then I get to add 90 minutes.

Yes. I work at Bolling AFB (Joint Base Anacostia Bolling). A joyous 12 mile 60 minute drive, unless there is a nationals game, then I get to add 90 minutes.

Fun.

I'll be in the city later this week / early next week. It's a family trip so I may be pretty busy though.

My company has a building at 14 and F also.

Fun.

I'll be in the city later this week / early next week. It's a family trip so I may be pretty busy though.

My company has a building at 14 and F also.

PM Sent ref. next time your in town.

John

NWS just issued a "Blizzard Warning" for my area of the valley(Shenandoah) near Woodstock,Va.
6-12" of heavy snow and 30-40 mph winds,,,,May be a fun night ,tonight.

Just moments ago outside of Philly.. this was Acme - barely any PB left! haha:
68079_10151088057866080_42678890_n.jpg

NWS just issued a "Blizzard Warning" for my area of the valley(Shenandoah) near Woodstock,Va.
6-12" of heavy snow and 30-40 mph winds,,,,May be a fun night ,tonight.

Wayne,

I would do this myself but since I banned myself from NVJA I cant....

Post up a weekend ride in to GWNF to enjoy the snow up at 4kft. I hear your going to get 2-3 feet above 2000'. Might as well get something worthwhile out of this.

Lights flickering here over the last couple hours. 45 mph winds, moderate rain. Lots of transformer blowing (heard 5 so far) and we heard a few trees go down as well.

John

Ready for the storm.
F4F8684C-1119-4660-B770-F55DA8F016DF-3125-000002FE4E5F9C67.jpg
[/IMG]

~Alex

Wayne,

I would do this myself but since I banned myself from NVJA I cant....

Post up a weekend ride in to GWNF to enjoy the snow up at 4kft. I hear your going to get 2-3 feet above 2000'. Might as well get something worthwhile out of this.

Lights flickering here over the last couple hours. 45 mph winds, moderate rain. Lots of transformer blowing (heard 5 so far) and we heard a few trees go down as well.

John

John,
My weekend to work,I, like you ,have done a snow ride up there,and had much the same experience ,,,,,Don,t really want to do it again...
CB talk on Sat did bring up the subject of a winter ride... I had no comment..

Watching the news now, and NYC is absolutely getting devastated right now. Subways under 4 feet of water, a hospital's backup generator has failed and being evacuated, cranes getting blown off of skyscrapers, etc.

Thankfully my mom and sister are on the "good" side of the storm, although still going to get a lot of rain. My sister is in Harrisonburg in the Shenandoah Valley, and my mom is in Chantilly, just west of DC. I know my sister is ok so far, haven't heard from my mom yet.

Here in DC the winds pretty much stopped increasing at around 55-60 last night at 9 pm. I think they held steady at that level till around midnight. Lost power for a few minutes. The rain never got to more than a mild shower, but that gave us around 5-6 inches total. We turned in at 10pm. I got up at 4 am. We still had power. No water in the house or garage. No big limbs (lots of small ones) in the yard or on the roof. All the trees are pretty much stripped of leaves. A light cold raiin is falling with winds around 10 mph. Looks like the back side of storm is drier and a LOT weaker than was expected.

Took a drive around the area. Our neighborhood is the only one with power over a large area. The rest of Mclean is dark, Falls Church (just to our south) is dark, Tysons Corner neighborhoods are dark. Everything I saw in Arllington County (SE of here) is dark. A few trees down and a couple of roads blocked. Damage appears to be much less than what we had from Irene and a LOT less than the derecho (90 mph) big wind that blew through here earlier this year.

Be getting on the phone around 8 and calling our friends w/o power and ask them if need anything or want to come over and hang out til their power comes back on. Doesnt look like I am going be using the ice we stocked up in the freezers.

Wayne
Your quite right about Union Springs. It was your experience up there that had me prep everyone for a winch fest last time. 15 mph blast in good conditions, pulling cable and setting up come alongs to just keep on the trail in bad conditions with ice and snow. Lots of fun if your expecting it and like that sort of thing. Seat sucking terror if your not.

John

Well storm is mostly past ,light wind and rain now. Over 4" of rain,River is out of banks and half way across the bottom,Don,t worry.my house is 90 ft above river.
Only lost power for a blink last night ,but scanner still has reports of trees in the lines.Lots of water rescues last night by FD and squads,some flooded houses and dumb drivers.
Wife took her XJ to work. I,ll just hang out...my work was shut down,,4th time in 38 years...

Never lost power, maybe an inch of rain

Worst
Hurricane
Ever

We got completely hammered. I'd be surprised if we get power back in less than a week. Places around here look like war zones, the storm surge completely wiped out the north and south shores. The barrier islands on the south shore are still underwater.

Back