• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So how about Sandy?

pretty crappy out today

traffic lights out
IMG_1111.jpg

tree on power line
IMG_1112.jpg

trees down in driveway
IMG_1113.jpg

i went to help out family in long beach today... the place is a disaster. boats up on the street in buildings, the boardwalk is scattered all over the city... i didnt take any pictures really, my stepdad took a few for insurance and FEMA for my aunt and uncle. to be honest, pictures cant show the devastation. when i hear people crying about gas, cable, internet or whatever bc of this storm, they can get ****ed. people have sand completely filling their garages. literally. packed, wet, sand from floor to ceiling and wall to wall. im happy their safe and thanks to FEMA, the red cross and natl guard they have food water and medicine (my uncle is diabetic) being delivered to whats left of their house. on the bright side, they were saving to pretty much gut the lower level and remodel their place, now they should be getting some extra from uncle sam. both their cars (early 90s grand marq and WJ) are in rough shape, but i think i'll be able to salvage both of them. grand marq turns over freely, water got into the intake and splashed onto the throttle body but nothing got into the motor thanks to do way the intake is designed. no spark though and his wipers are shorted and wont turn off. the WJ is a mess, salt water got the inside fuse panel pretty good, once i hooked up jumper cables pretty much everything went crazy.. wipers, radio, windows, lights, alarm, horn, and it started cranking on it's own. pulled all the fuses out (the ones inside actually disintegrated) and wd40'd everything and let it to dry out some more. i'll have to get into both of them some more later this week or possibly next weekend once we get more gas delivered, its pretty rough if you need fuel right now.

643960_3832701340374_1194401283_n.jpg

that fuse block just looks like a lifetime of headaches. hope it was insured.

That whole vehicle is gonna be a lifetime of headaches... drain the diffs, transmission, transfer case, flush em, and expect the worst of the worst floor and frame rust in a few years.

I'd call the insurance company and tell em to come take it.

the cars out there rot pretty quick anyway, they live 3 houses from the beach. i'm gonna try, i definitely think i can get the grand marq running, idk about the WJ. trying to get my uncle back to work sooner than later. there are cars in lots by the beach, brand new jags, mbs, bimmers... all done. saw a SRT8 charger up on a flatbed with a waterline 3/4 of the way up the windows.

I think you need to call the damn insurance company and have it flood totaled before they blame you for it not working because you tried to fix it and give you jack ****ing shit.

Seriously, do not walk away, RUN away from that vehicle.

both cars are liability only, FEMA had documented everything on a walk through a few days ago. the only money they could get is from federal aid.

Well, that sucks, I can understand why you'd try to fix it in that case. Good luck, let me know if you need any wiring stuff or ideas or something...

Heard that Anheuser-Busch changed a production line in their Merrimac NH facility over to can water for Hurricane Sandy victims.

They didn't have to change what they were putting in the cans.

(seriously though, that's pretty cool of them)

anyone who wants to help out, toss some money the red cross's way. theyre all over the island (and jersey!) helping people out. gonna be a hard one for people without power/electric/heat the next couple days, gonna be 30 and below at night! my girlfriend's house still doesnt have power, but thankfully they have a generator to run the boiler. most people arent that lucky, and LIPA says it could be up to another week until power is restored over there. her dad has plenty of fuel in his boat to keep the genny running for a while until gas stations get more fuel.

donate here!

once the gas situation is better, my stepdad and i are heading back down to long beach with clothing and other supplies for my family and their neighbors. thankfully my cousins iphone is working pretty well now so we can keep in touch.

FEMA got back to my aunt and uncle... FEMA is covering their cars and their house. gonna be a lot of cars getting junked next few weeks.
wow thats good news. cant believe they got an answer that fast.
wonder if they'll notice if the knuckles and brakes are missing on that wj and the rear disk brakes are missing on the crown vic :D

Well just got the call that my team may deploy to the disaster area. I work for the Army Corps of Engineers and I'm part of an emergency response team that establishes temp housing. Not 100% if we'll be deployed or where to, but could be out there soon. Last time we deployed was for the Alabama tornadoes which was...interesting.

Well just got the call that my team may deploy to the disaster area. I work for the Army Corps of Engineers and I'm part of an emergency response team that establishes temp housing. Not 100% if we'll be deployed or where to, but could be out there soon. Last time we deployed was for the Alabama tornadoes which was...interesting.

My buddy's unit in the national guard got deployed there to assist with clean up but orders changed and he's coming back home.

You know,.. I'm beginning to wonder if any government agency can deal with a major disaster in a large modern city. Not just here, worldwide. It seams any time a disaster anywhere hits a large population center, the recovery turns into a cluster***k. We watch, stand by, and shake our heads when it happens repeatedly overseas, then we get Katrina. Now Sandy hits, and it looks like the aid/recovery effort is turning out some of the same incompetence. I really wonder if it's even possible to do "right".

Back