• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So how about Sandy?

We've got the NOAA high winds (30-50mph) warnings up starting Monday morning. I'm leaving town Monday morning, so hopefully the wife and house will be OK through the week.

We have 20 gallons of gas in the garage, and both cars and truck are full. The only thing I haven't done is get my generator working again. I also need to set up some wiring to run the wood pellet stove and the refrig.

We should be far enough island (Binghamton) to not have the brunt of the storm. We're not in a low area, so localized flooding shouldn't be an issue. Good luck to the folks who are much closer to this thing.

David Bricker / SYR

Just a quick note for those of you affected: If you loose power, clean out the fridge, unplug it, and prop the doors open for the duration of the outage. If you leave the house for the duration, do the same.

If you don't clean remove all the food from the unit, food rotting in the upper compartment will leak fluids into the insulation that can not be cleaned out. The frig will smell of rotting food for the rest of its(limited)days, and any unsealed food will also come out smelling rotten. You will be getting a new fridge.

Good luck. Hope it's just overblown media hype and not real trouble.

At least ill get a chance to back out of the house I'm closing on Wednesday if the storm takes it out. Costco was devoid of all essentials, I was gonna go to harbor freight and grab the generator they have on sale but pretty sure they are all gone, might be the third straight move with no power
save your money dude... if you don't buy an HF generator you will have just as much power and more money!

I am fine with not having power for a while, I'm charging up my backup cellphone battery right now and moving at least one jeep into a more open parking area so it won't get flattened by a tree. All the branches that could reach my house easily fell off last October in our last freak storm, the only thing that has me sweating is the 80 foot pine 20' from my front porch. If it tips the wrong way I am beyond screwed.

High winds will cause problems for me but rain? don't care.

Right now the tracking on wunderground shows it going up to the east, then looping completely around me and into upstate NY/VT, but my bet is on it going "haha NOPE" and scoring a direct hit. I guess the snowpocalypse 2 winters ago, tornado, earthquake, hurricane Irene, the 9" Halloween snowstorm last fall, plague of blood, and plague of frogs haven't been enough so far.

..,I guess the snowpocalypse 2 winters ago, tornado, earthquake, hurricane Irene, the 9" Halloween snowstorm last fall, plague of blood, and plague of frogs haven't been enough so far.
You guys got a plague of frogs? Man,.. the east coast gets ALL the good weather.

Heard that basically the entire NYC transportation system will be shutting down at 7pm tonight. Many are predicting that the NYC subways will flood and result is billions in damage and weeks of disrupted service. Damn....

Yea. I still haven't heard back from work yet about going in tomorrow. I was supposed drive a box truck into lower nyc and drop off equipment needed for an install... They're on crack if they think that's still a good idea.

I personally think its all hype.... as usual. Im not afraid.

lol. to be afraid is one thing, im not afraid of it bc im prepared but i have respect for this shit. sustained 50-60 mph winds for almost 24 is nothing to shrug off.

work is making me go into the city tomorrow, me and the lead tech are flabbergasted. one of the other techs was evacuated and he has to go in too. its gonna be one cluster**** of a day tomorrow to say the least. im debating driving my jeep in so worse comes to worse i can get home, but theres a chance the city will lose power and/or stop all traffic in and out of the island. not about to be stuck somewhere.

got my beer, ice, and whiskey, we are ready for anything. Not going to work tomorrow, just picking up my lap top and heading home, not gonna be nice tomorrow....

Right now the tracking on wunderground shows it going up to the east, then looping completely around me and into upstate NY/VT, but my bet is on it going "haha NOPE" and scoring a direct hit. I guess the snowpocalypse 2 winters ago, tornado, earthquake, hurricane Irene, the 9" Halloween snowstorm last fall, plague of blood, and plague of frogs haven't been enough so far.

Big man upstairs must have something against the NE...lol.

Hope everybody makes it through alright. I was supposed to be in Delaware Tuesday & Wednesday for a field install. That ain't happening anymore....

Big man upstairs must have something against the NE...lol.

Guess nobody likes him..

186x282.jpg

Good luck to y'all..

:cheers:

Since about 10 pm last night a steady light rain, only 2-3 tenths,and a light breeze. Guess is that rain and wind will increase until tomorrow,calling for power outages,down trees ,ect.
Yesterday the stores were out of milk,bread and toilet paper was in big demand?, lady behind me had 75 rolls......
We have a good supply of drinking water and filling the flush water buckets as it rains.
Be safe out there....

Living just outside DC has some real advantages when a big storm hits. We are close to an area (same part of the power grid) that has a number of Senators, House members and previous high ranking administration officials in it (the libs live in MD & DC). Everyone around us can loose power for 5 to 10 days but our part of the grid miraculously seem to always get it back in 12-36 hrs. Threats of "put my power back on or I will sic the regulators on you" is apparently quite motivating to the power company.

That being said, we are not going to depend on the "power" of our "neighbors" across the creek to make things right. Food, water, kerosene, charcoal, tarps, sheeting, batteries and the other normal supplies were topped off Saturday. One thing almost no one ever has (but we do) is an old dial or touch tone phone. They still work when the power is off and the phone lines are up (surprisingly common) since they are powered via the phone line. Dug some extra drainage away from the house this morning, waterproofed the basement window wells and packed the freezers with ice for a long haul if the power goes off.

DC and its suburbs are a "paper city" were very few people actually "do" anything real in life and generally have zero skills other than policy and keyboards. Let the rain fall, the wind blow and whining begin.

So far (1300 Mon.) its just a nice soft rain with a little bit of wind behind it. Unless some trees need to cleared from the streets I dont think the chain saw and XJ will get much use during this storm unlike snowmageddon where the XJ was the only thing that could move for about a week in our neighborhood and I had to clear the downed trees so the plows could get in.

John

Last edited:
Back