• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkle be gone!

How much did those run ya Troy?? Im kinda sick of my pre-runner look.

Well, I earned the boner award today.......

Went 'wheeling on Eagle Rock with the new leaf packs and was really loving the way they were riding and performing...... except they were acting like they were bottoming out - as if the leafs were hitting the bumpstops or the shackles were flexing back and hitting the back of the shackle box.

I knew the bumpstop wasn't the issue - they're nowhere close to touching and when I flexed it up the other day on the concrete stairs behind the convenience store, I saw there was plenty of movement backward for the shackles.......

Dummy me........ I had always been looking at the shackles from this angle:

P1012266.jpg

And of course, when installing them, they were swung way forward before supporting the XJ's weight so the lower shackle bolt never seemed like it'd be a problem........

But toward the end of the day 'wheeling, I finally saw what the problem was...... from a different angle:

P1012289.jpg

Fawkin' bolts were hitting the bumper brackets as they swung back........ :twak: :dunce:

Simple fix..... stupid reason....... :D

That sucks. But knda funny. Did you get your pics you wanted? If not, running chinamans tomorrow :D

That sucks. But knda funny. Did you get your pics you wanted? If not, running chinamans tomorrow :D

The only pics I shot were on that rock before Saran Wrap...... kinda forgot about getting 'em! :mad:

I imagine there'll be several from the other shutter-bugs. :thumbup:

Janine kept snapping pics of my rig on obstacles from it's ugly side....... :laugh3:

These are the only 2 I took worth a damn:

P1012285.jpg

P1012284.jpg

this is terrific. I've been trying to come up with a way to improve airflow though the stock box and incorporate the kn elbow I have. This was a really good idea, but I wonder why you sealed the front intake on the airbox? wouldn't more flow be better? Is there too much heat up there from the engine? It looks like the original intake is pretty well separated from the engine compartment.

This was a really good idea, but I wonder why you sealed the front intake on the airbox? wouldn't more flow be better? Is there too much heat up there from the engine? It looks like the original intake is pretty well separated from the engine compartment.

I sealed it to prevent a blend of warm engine compartment air and outside air. When 'wheeling/crawling, that stock intake opening isn't getting a good draw of outside air with the firewall and headlight/header panel in it's way. Underhood temps get pretty intense when moving slow on the trail.

In theory, the way I have it designed still provides some of the same benefit that the snorkle did - it moved the intake up higher and back elevating the entry where water could get in. I flooded the engine in my previous rig bashing through a stream a few years back with a stock air box - that forward box opening just allows that water to rush right into the box.

I doubt I'd ever test my theory on the air intake improvement, but hopefully it'd prevent this again....... Turned my engine into a six-barrelled squirt gun...... :D

IM000789.jpg

I'm wondering.

What ever happened to the Roof Rack you had on it... Not a Fan?

You mean the rack on the blue '97? Sold it. Roof racks are for weeners. :D I hate roof racks.

Hey troy what did you do to get your bushwacker back onto the rear door where it got ripped off?

Hammer and dolly'd the screw holes flat from being pulled out, then glued the cracked/broken pieces with Gorilla Glue. Set up over night and screwed it back on for now. Not the best, but keeps it looking nice at 20 feet until I get the new BW's ordered/installed. Gonna have to do the same to the front one after yesterday's run.......

I actually like my roof rack. It is true that getting the tire on and off sucks. But it has come in handy on a bunch of camping trips, especially when my family comes out from FL.

However if you are only getting one to put your tire and jack on...don't do it. Buy a bumper!

I actually like my roof rack. It is true that getting the tire on and off sucks. But it has come in handy on a bunch of camping trips, especially when my family comes out from FL.

However if you are only getting one to put your tire and jack on...don't do it. Buy a bumper!

Yeah, if a rack is only for tire and jack, its worthless IMO. I do enough camping, to where I think I would benefeit from a rack, especially since I like to sleep in the back of the rig, gear could go on top. We shall see though, I refuse to pay what they want for a brand new one.

Heh heh, yeah I never said there wasn't a reason or need for a roof rack, just that they're for weeners......

So, if you need a rack to pack up your gear and your family...... you're just a weener with gear and a family...... :D

Back