• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkle be gone!

Yeah, those are the vents Crunch used as hood vents - my favorite by far!

13645_t.jpg

Re: Snorkle Be On!

Dood........ that stock intake elbow worked perfectly! :thumbup:

For sure! Home depot didn't really have what I needed, so I was going to just use the K&N setup until I could find something, and then I realized the Stock elbow was what I needed, worked out perfectly.

Dan,

From that overhead pic, I can see that the PVC line going to the K&N intake is just a hair pinched. Double check that to ensure it isn't too kinked - Kittrell installed a Rock-It intake and the hose he had going from the PVC to the intake was a bit short and he made it fit - not knowing he'd kinked it closed. We were driving back from Chinamans on 24 when his oil pan gasket blew out below the timing cover and he had oil and smoke everywhere......

Better idea would be to remove that hard line with the "S" hose and just get a length of regular hose. :thumbup:

Thanks for the input Troy, I will double check to make sure its not too kinked, I had to cut a couple inches of the "hard line" in order to get that "S" hose to cooperate. I like your idea of removing the hard line, I may just do that.

In the morning I'll get a pic of my setup. I just used a length of hose and a breather filter from the auto store, plus a few adapters to make it all fit. Total ran me maybe $15.
Then again, its not really much of a snorkel.

Well, I just as well use this thread as my "mods" thread........

Snagged this brand new XRC-8 combo winch kit from Craigslist for half of retail...... :thumbup: Came with the synthetic line and hawse fairlead.

P1012171.jpg

P1012172.jpg

P1012173.jpg

I'd heard/read lots of good things about the XRC-8 winch..... but when I spooled up the rope, it sure was noisy and made the d-rings on the bumper vibrate like hell....... hope there ain't anything wrong with this winch.

There's a huge thread over on Jeepforum about the XRC8... it convinced me to get one, as soon as I can afford it. Check it out, you may find an answer about that vibration thing.

That looks very good, I think I will be purchasing the Smittybilt synthetic line, its a very reasonable price, and I would like to save a few LBS on the front end. Those XRC winches are a very good winch for a damn good price. Smittybilt's customer service is top notch as well.

For the most part, most folks that don't have the winch think it's cheap because it's cheaply made.

Nobody seemed thrilled about the "permanent magnet" motor rather than a "series wound" motor. I know what they're talking about - the Champion 8K winch I got from Sams Club for my trailer took a crap after about 40-50 pulls. It seized right up, couldn't get it to spool. I pulled the motor apart and the magnets in side were all busted up and bound up into the stator of the motor. It was a great cheap winch when it worked, but toward the end, I could tell it was gonna crap out. Pulling an '80's FSJ Waggy onto the trailer did it in. Champion will sell me a new motor for $110 plus shipping.

I've heard the same - that Smittybuilt's customer service has been excellent. Wonder if they'll honor the warranty even though I don't have a receipt from a store......

Can't imagine this Smittybuilt getting anywhere close to the number of pulls that Champion winch did so unless the vibes are a sign something is bad, then I'm sure this winch will serve it's purpose just fine.

Smittybilt didn't require any proof of purchase for the solenoid, I just e-mailed them, they asked me a few questions (to ensure it was hooked up properly), then sent me a new solenoid within a few days. Obviously honoring the warranty on a whole winch may be another story but maybe not. I assume as long as you have the product they may honor it.

Last edited:
Well, she still might be a little banged up from the accident........ but Sting25 got my promo decals done last week and I took a moment to get 'em put on today. I think they turned out pretty good! :thumbup:

It's official - she's the BIGoffroad Promo Rig!

(Now I just gotta get the leafs on that I've had for weeks....... :D)

P1012221.jpg

P1012220.jpg

Back