• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkle be gone!

Yella how much did those vents run ya?
They might look kinda cool on the hood...

They look like they'd stick up quite a bit for a hood application, but the vent is just under $17. Got it at West Marine off County Line east of Holly. It was the last one they had, but they might be ordering more for their stock. The other marine shops have to special order them.

If you wanna see some real bitchin' hood vents, look at the ones on Crunch's rig. Polished stainless marine vents that counter-sink into the hood. Nicest looking set up I've seen.

I was skeptical but that pretty sweet.

Well, the snorkle is off with it's new owner! :thumbup:

I got the "revised" cold air set up done now. Here's the details:

My intention was simply to utilize the hole left behind in hopes of keeping some improved air flow and lower air temps. Dunno if this will have accomplished that goal, but it worked out pretty good.

I simply blocked off the square air intake at the front of the air box (behind the headlight) so seal the box. Then I cut a 3" hole in the rear of the air box just below where the filter sits when installed. Once I did that I needed to find a way to attach the flex hose from the box to the fender. Off to Home Depot I went.

Searching through the PVC fitting section had me finding some things that could have worked, but the parts were pretty thick, heavy and dimensionally just too big....... As I turned my back and faced the other side of the isle, contemplating the pieces I'd looked at....... there it was, right in front of me among the irrigation fittings!

3" Internal Coupling:

drainfit4coup.jpg

It was light weight, flexible and the perfect size for the flex tube and for the 3" hole I'd already made in the the air box. I bought 2 of 'em - one for the box, one for the inner fender. The first coupling I snapped one end into the box and pushed the flex hose on the other end. Then I put the other end of the flex hose on the 2nd coupling and pushed the coupling into the hole in the inner fender! Done!

CAI air box overall:

P1012155.jpg

Coupling into the inner fender:

P1012157.jpg

Coupling into the air box:

P1012158.jpg

End of the fender coupling behind the vent:

P1012162.jpg

Sealed air intake on the front of the box:
(Cut the square extended part off, then cut a patch piece from another air box, screwed it in place, black RTV to seal the gaps)

P1012160.jpg

It's REALLY QUIET....... :yelclap: I can't hear the typical whistle of air as you crack the throttle body open off idle, and there's a nifty little air-suck sound coming from the fender....... Throttle response is notably improved over the snorkle. :thumbup:

I'm pretty pleased with how clean the install ended up looking and it all snaps together!

Last edited:
That came out really good Troy! The Snorkel is all installed, thanks to some measuring help from the Girlfriend, it mounted perfectly. I was able to re-use the small piece of flex tube that came with it, and I used the factory elbow from the throttle body to attach the snorkel to the K&N canister. I'm very pleased with how it turned out, i'll get some pics tomorrow, it was dark by the time I finished. Now I have plenty of room for my dual battery setup.

Wow, that was quick Dan! :thumbup: Indeed - pics!

Nice twist on the snorkle concept!! However the placement (I understand why) of the boat vent is not uniform and is an eye sore! Overall, I actually really like the idea but would choose the 87 Buick vents!!

... thanks to some measuring help from the Girlfriend, it mounted perfectly. I was able to re-use the small piece of flex tube that came with it. i'll get some pics tomorrow, it was dark by the time I finished.

Hey hey now, take it to the den.

Snorkle Be On!

Here are a few pics although a bit late:

Snorkel4.jpg

Snorkel2.jpg

Snorkel1.jpg

Snorkel3.jpg

Room for my second battery

Snorkel6.jpg

Went together really smooth, and I was able to use what you gave me, didn't have to buy anything else.

Back