• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smash and Grab Goodbye Ipod - Need Glass

XJ_KJ_Matt

NAXJA Forum User
Had my 2000 XJ's driver's rear window smashed overnight and my Ipod stolen from the glove box. Just moved to Burlington Vermont and don't have any connections for parts. I do not want to submit to insurance since the damage is somewhat minor. Can someone please help me out? I need a rear window (the little one) I cant tell if the aluminum channel is part of the parts package to have it replaced. Anyone have an assembly I could buy so I don't have to get ripped at the dealership. Will pay shipping, etc up front. Would like to get this ASAP please.

DSC00011.jpg

Thanks a ton.

Ralph said:
Get a used window pane from the junk yard. I had to buy one, IIRC it only cost me $5. They are very easy to replace.

Precisely what I'd do. Go junkin'.

Ok I found one at the junkyard but they are part of a door which sucks because I have to pay $100 for it. Windshield World will install it for $60. I wish I knew how to install it myself, it would be alot less expensive. You guys say it is easy, so just remove the inside trim and I should have access? Anyone do this before and if so, can you give me some tips please?

If it were me, I'd go find the nearest U-pull it yard (self-serve) as that glass is like $20. There should be a screw on the top of the door. On the inside of the door behind the trim panel IIRC there's a 1/2" maybe 3/8" bolt that holds the bracket for the glass, just follow the bracket on the inside of the door. I would have the window rolled all the way down then tilt the old assembly out. There may be a fastener or two that I didn't mention so use your noodle. Installation is reverse of removal. :eeks1:

What he said. It's been a number of years since I replaced one. It only took a few minutes to replace the glass. It took more time removing the door panel than it took to replace the glass. Once you get the panel off everything is right there. Check other junk yards. I'm sure you'll find one that has a dinged up door that they will part out.

Back