• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Simple locker question

RichP said:
I think I missed something, what is the difference between a 'lunchbox' and 'full' locker.... or better yet, what is a lunchbox locker and is that a derogatory term ??

A so-called lunchbox locker replaces the spider gears and fits inside the stock carrier. They are simple to install and the ring and pinion don't need to be removed, and they can be installed in around an hour by someone with a little experience, hence called a "lunchbox" locker. My first locker ever was a Lockright and it was actually installed by a mechanic friend on his lunch break.

A full locker replaces the stock carrier, and the ring and pinion will need to be set up, so they take more time and are more expensive to install.

Digger87xj said:
Depends on the axle carrier... D44 and D30 ring gears have to be removed to get the cross shaft out.

Why? The ring gear is only in the way with high ratio gears, because the ring gear is thicker, and in a lion's share of those cases (if not all) a little can be ground off of the offending ring gear tooth to clear the pin.

The locker works by becoming a spool under power (locking up) and differentiating around corners (disengaging). Torque from the driveline will lock it up, but torque from the axle will disengage it. The locker disengages (differentiates) when an axle spins ahead of the carrier, so an axle can spin faster than the carrier, but not slower.

Recently it feels like my rear lunch box is behaving differently than it used to. Feels like it's not disengaging at all in tight turns, but staying engaged. Either under power or coasting it feels neither tire seems to disengage. (Actually, this started after getting stuck and using a lot of skinny pedal trying to get out, so maybe I screwed something up?).

That description above is what I understood about lunch box lockers... that an axle can spin faster than the ring gear.

So, I was thinking I could test the locker by jacking up both wheels, holding the drive shaft/pinion stationary, and spinning a tire. I would assume I could hold the drive shaft stationary, and spin a tire freely... as that would mean the axle is spinning faster than the ring gear.

But if I hold the drive shaft stationary, I am unable to spin either tire freely. If I try to spin either tire, it is locked to the drive-shaft. If I spin a tire, the drive-shaft spins also, but the opposite side tire does disengage. I assumed the tire I was spinning would disengage instead.

Is there something wrong with my locker... or am I misunderstanding how they should work?

I've taken the diff cover off, and nothing looks broken.

Thanks,
Mike

uhh I'm going to fully disagree here.... letting off the gas does not disengage them.

Did you install yours right? Mine disengages when letting off the gas.

As for driving, the level of throttle you would apply (if you drive like a sane person) in a parking lot, at least one the rigs I've had with auto lockers, isn't enough to engage the locker. Light throttle and a sharp turn and you can hear the click click click.

The last time I wheeled I was following a bunch of JK guys on 35" MTs. My XJ had street tires, 2" of lift and a rear Aussie. The JK guys were thoroughly impressed.

If you wheel at all, the minimal downsides of a locker are 100% worth putting up with.

i almost never notice the lunchbox up front.

dude just throw a lunchbox in and call it good, I've ran a lunchbox front for a few years as a DD and full detroit rear, its not a big deal.

That's what I get for searching and posting a question in a related thread.... people respond to the 8 year old posts instead of my new question... :D

Anyway...

"I was thinking I could test the locker by jacking up both wheels, holding the drive shaft/pinion stationary, and spinning a tire. I would assume I could hold the drive shaft stationary, and spin a tire freely... as that would mean the axle is spinning faster than the ring gear."

Is that correct, or am I misunderstanding???

That wont work, since a Dana 30 spins all the front drive components when a tire spins... by stopping it at the driveshaft it will stop any rotation of the tires

Do you not have the paperwork.for.the locker? Or have you looked up the PDF from manufacturer? If I recall when I went through my Aussie instructions, to disengage the locker "if I recall " you had to rotate the wheel in reverse first to disengage it... like a transfer case. Then rotate it forward. Don't 100% quote me on that because I did read the instructions a year ago and never installed it. Ended up welding it.

Last edited:
...thinking I could test the locker by jacking up both wheels, holding the drive shaft/pinion stationary, and spinning a tire. I would assume I could hold the drive shaft stationary, and spin a tire freely... as that would mean the axle is spinning faster than the ring gear."

Most locker instruction booklets come with a test procedure. However, the assumption is that all your locker parts are in good operating condition.

Spring kits are cheap and easy to install. You probably need to change the gear oil anyways.

That wont work, since a Dana 30 spins all the front drive components when a tire spins... by stopping it at the driveshaft it will stop any rotation of the tires

Do you not have the paperwork.for.the locker? Or have you looked up the PDF from manufacturer? If I recall when I went through my Aussie instructions, to disengage the locker "if I recall " you had to rotate the wheel in reverse first to disengage it... like a transfer case. Then rotate it forward. Don't 100% quote me on that because I did read the instructions a year ago and never installed it. Ended up welding it.

Thanks. I do not have the paperwork. It's a D44 rear, and I bought the whole axle used and complete with locker installed.

Pretty sure the guy I bought the axle from said it was a Lockrite. I'll take a look at their website for the PDF.

Most locker instruction booklets come with a test procedure. However, the assumption is that all your locker parts are in good operating condition.

Spring kits are cheap and easy to install. You probably need to change the gear oil anyways.

Thanks. Going to look for instructions and look for inspection procedures.

Last edited:
Oh I don't know why I assumed the front end? Haha... but same story, you stop the driveline you stop any rotation of either tire. Check out the PDF and run the tests, Randy's ring and pinion I believe has all the files for installs on their website. Just to help you out a little (if they still have em up)

That's what I get for searching and posting a question in a related thread.... people respond to the 8 year old posts instead of my new question... :D
zomg, what's up with the smoke monster!? Think they'll ever get off the island!?

Anyway...

"I was thinking I could test the locker by jacking up both wheels, holding the drive shaft/pinion stationary, and spinning a tire. I would assume I could hold the drive shaft stationary, and spin a tire freely... as that would mean the axle is spinning faster than the ring gear."

If I'm thinking right...if you try to spin it forward, you probably won't be able to. If you try to spin it backwards, you'll probably get it to unlock.

I don't know if it was explained this way but:
When one of the outer drive plates rotates at a different speed or direction than the other outer drive plate, the locker will disengage the drive plate that is turning faster in the direction of travel. This applies all torque to the drive plate that is turning slower until enough power is applied to accelerate the drive plate to the same speed as the other drive plate. When the speed becomes equal, the locker locks up sending torque to both axleshafts equally.
For example, when you are making a turn, the wheel on the outside of the turn must turn faster than the wheel on the inside of the turn. The locker allows this by decoupling the drive plate on the outside wheel allowing it to turn faster. If enough torque is applied to the inner wheel to make it spin as fast as the outside wheel (spinning the tire, this is why you hear a chirping when accelerating in a turn) the locker will re-engage the outer drive plate and apply torque to both wheels. Once torque is applied to both drive plates the locker will remain engaged until the torque is removed.

Jet, I have a Dana 44 LockRight booklet in my garage if you don't find the online PDFs.

Like Tim said, I would start with changing the oil in the diff and inspecting the old oil. If that didn't fix the issue then I would pull and inspect the locker. SummitRacing has the Pin and Spring kits for $18

Back