• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sick Dog Racing Jeepspeed Build

This build has some of the best tech and cleanest work I have seen on NAXJA. Keep up the great work!

This build has some of the best tech and cleanest work I have seen on NAXJA. Keep up the great work!

Do we all get to ride in it when it's done? :D

Well work has been kicking my azz so I havent had much time to work on the jeep. But I got back on it this weekend.
With the motor and trans out i started working on plating the inside frame area and motor mounts.
IMG_1926.jpg

What a mess.
Once the motor was out I found both stock motor mounts where broke.
IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

Gussets on the motor mount frame brackets.
IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

I have read a ton of horror stories about motor mount breaking off the engine blocks. With that in mind I went searching for a quality motor mount. It didnt take long to find what I was looking for. One name kept comming up on all my searches, Brown Dog.

IMG_1804.jpg

Yes, Brown Dog Off Road has given the Sick Dog a little love. When I recieved the Brown Dog motor mount and engine bracket kit I was very happy with the over all quality of the kit. And the customer support was great as well. I can't wait to get this kit on the beast.

Again Thanks to the crew at Brown Dog Off Road.

Radiator fans off a 1990 Fourunner. I cut the mounting tabs off and welded them right to the fan shroud.
IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

Blank shroud
IMG_1905.jpg

Shroud mounted without fans installed.
IMG_1953.jpg

Great build, I have been following it for a while now. I just realized my motor mounts are broken so I need to replace them. Did you do a MML 1" or are those the stock height?

Thanks, No i whet with the stock height MM kit. I wanted to keep the COG as low as possible.

Did you pre-heat in stages or did you tack it all together then pre-heat and weld it all up??

Just pre-heated the spindles on the oven for thirty minutes or so then tacked the plating on.

Man, this is some very nice work.... Are you using 1/8" plate? CR or ChroMoly or HR. Did you pre-heat as well?

Thanks again.....1/8" CR plating but the spine was made out of 3/8 CR bar stock. No pre-heating here. Parts this small heat up fast after 3-4 minutes of welding.

Well my Jeep is going to be heading into M&D Motorsports for the cage work the middle of May. Finally I'm getting to the meat and potatoes of this build. Just working on getting the 1000 little things done. I started working on the fuel cell mounts.
Base of the fuel cell frame.
IMG_2041.jpg

Hold down straps
IMG_2044.jpg

Fuel cell
IMG_2046.jpg

Wow, a little out of my league as far as fabrication goes. looks amazing. Im gonna get a dang welder off craigslist and start practicing. maybe in a few years i will have a thread half as cool as this one. (which would be fine by me)

Wow, a little out of my league as far as fabrication goes. looks amazing. Im gonna get a dang welder off craigslist and start practicing. maybe in a few years i will have a thread half as cool as this one. (which would be fine by me)

Thanks. Get the welder and start building. Start small and work up from there. Before you know it you'll be building bumpers for all your friends.

Working on the trans oil coolers
Ford Oil cooler after disassembly.
IMG_2050.jpg

Oil cooler shroud box.
IMG_2053.jpg

Lid
IMG_2055.jpg

Cooler mounted
IMG_2057.jpg

Milled out windows
IMG_2058.jpg

Fan welded into lid of shroud.
IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

OK, that is really cool, but I think you are really limiting the cooling area by having that single fan. What was the idea behind that box? IMHO you are much better off placing the coolers somewhere where they are open to the airflow in the car with a fan that is just used to augment the flow. That just seems like a lot of unnecessary weight while making the coolers less efficient.

OK, that is really cool, but I think you are really limiting the cooling area by having that single fan. What was the idea behind that box? IMHO you are much better off placing the coolers somewhere where they are open to the airflow in the car with a fan that is just used to augment the flow. That just seems like a lot of unnecessary weight while making the coolers less efficient.

Shit.......I was thinking the same thing before I started. then I thought I was over thinking it. Now you got me thinking again. The purpose of the box is just like a shroud on a radiator. To allow the fans to pull as much air through the cooler. Ya two fans would have helped as well, but I was trying to use the same fan as the radiator. Once again I was thinking to much. Thanks for the input.......I might go back to the drawing board on this one.

Its off to M&D Motorsports for the cage work. Its good to see the Jeep back on its own wheels. I cant wait to get going on this.
IMG_2080.jpg

Back