• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seeking axle advice from XJ gods...

OK, looked at the D44 today. It has a bunch of numbers on the tag, there as follows 8953005003 and the next line says 3 54 46 13

I assume the 3 54 is 3.54 gears? My C8.25 does not have a tag like that, it has a tag that says 35 and one that says 7170, but my front D30 has a tag in the same location that says a bunch of numbers and where the 44 tag says 3 54 this one says 3 55. I again assume 3.55?

This is great if so as my buddy getting my 8.25 is putting in the junk rig that I am getting the 44 out of, he is gonna run 31's and just abuse it.

Lastly, someone explain this one:
On the XJ that currently holds my D44, I jacked up the rearend, trying to count tire turns vs DS, realized I had to drop one tire down on the ground. Then still really odd as I was getting 1.75 (approx) turns on the driveshaft to equal one full rotation of the tire. But then 1.75 x 2 is about 3.55.

Does this make sense?

What I did NOT do and wished now I had, was roll the jeep forward on the ground and count the DS turns that way, I am guessing that would have gotten the 3.55 turns?

Thanks guys,
Jason

Red97XJ said:
OK, looked at the D44 today. It has a bunch of numbers on the tag, there as follows 8953005003 and the next line says 3 54 46 13

I assume the 3 54 is 3.54 gears? My C8.25 does not have a tag like that, it has a tag that says 35 and one that says 7170, but my front D30 has a tag in the same location that says a bunch of numbers and where the 44 tag says 3 54 this one says 3 55. I again assume 3.55?

This is great if so as my buddy getting my 8.25 is putting in the junk rig that I am getting the 44 out of, he is gonna run 31's and just abuse it.

Lastly, someone explain this one:
On the XJ that currently holds my D44, I jacked up the rearend, trying to count tire turns vs DS, realized I had to drop one tire down on the ground. Then still really odd as I was getting 1.75 (approx) turns on the driveshaft to equal one full rotation of the tire. But then 1.75 x 2 is about 3.55.

Does this make sense?

What I did NOT do and wished now I had, was roll the jeep forward on the ground and count the DS turns that way, I am guessing that would have gotten the 3.55 turns?

Thanks guys,
Jason
Yes

you have 3.55 gears
the 44 has 3.55 gears

XJoachim said:
shawn, no offense, i did the same for about 2 years and i dropped more money into that D30 POS than my whole front 60 cost me. I broke ball joints, inner and outer shafts, u-joints, r&p, center pin, detroit locker - anything thats inside the housing. The only thing i didn't break was the housing and the steering knuckle :wave:

Besides all the money i could not finish some events or could not finish a weekend because of breakage. It's hard to field repair busted ball joints or a detroit locker. I did carry spares but in the end it was no fun anymore. So i decided to do it once and don't have to think about axle breakage any more.
35's...geez an XJ rolling around with a 60 and a 70 on 35's is stupid , hell you might as well leave it all stock, you'd have the same ground clearance and break nothing... :sure:

Back