• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rugged ridge steering??

yes u will, thats what I have on my jeep and I can't turn left. I am going to have to order new wheels with more backspacking this week. Maybe some cragar soft 8s? or pro comp series 97?

toast said:
Glad to hear it works for you :cheers:. What size lift are you running?

I'm at 6.5" lift. and I just wheeled the hell out of my rig at WinterFest
ad the steering system worked great and the spacer is still doing the job.

I have put over 400 miles on the steering spacer and its looking good, I thought the material I used would not last hard wheeling like it has (I was very wrong) .I am still getting some much stronger material in the next week or so and will make a batch of spacers that I will make available for small fee. if you think you want or need one just PM me.
I may put ad in correct place like the for sale forum.

Any news on Spaces for sale yet? I'm at 6.5-7" of lift, would this be a stupid upgrade for me? I need to do something that's for sure.

Thanks,

Todd

So I'm at 4.5" and have torn the pitman arm end boot. So do y'all think there'd be enough threads to put a heim end on there... drill it out... space it down just a little... Gr. 8 or F911 bolt.
What other mod. needs to be done ?
Thoughts ??

Curt

Mine is installed now at about 6 to 6 1/2 and it feels pretty good on street with spacer. Like everyone says angle at pitman arm not so good but i will run it and get my money's worth i guess.

my tre at the pitman arm is maxxxxed out - i am going to cut and extend the drag link a few inches and either keep tre or do a heim joint on the arm...

aparke4 said:
my tre at the pitman arm is maxxxxed out - i am going to cut and extend the drag link a few inches and either keep tre or do a heim joint on the arm...

I guess I could cut & extend... or just thread a longer piece of tube...

Curt

I personally wouldnt worry about it.. My angles are slightly off.. 5.5" with stock pitman arm and rk trackbar and they off by an inch or so geometriacally and i dont get any noticable bump steer... Your steering box also will get effects from having the drag link at such a steep angle.. Plus the pitman arm will be much cheaper... Just my 2c but its really up to you.. :greensmok

hey guys, i'm at 2.5" of lift up front and will be running soft-8's with 31's. My tie rod tube is seized to the tie rod ends right now and i can't turn the tie rod no matter how much leverage i put on the pipe wrench. I have a pipe wrench plus my hi jack handle over that and my entire 170 lb body weight. The tie rod will not turn. I am thinking of just upgrading this part of my steering setup and maybe go with this RR setup.

I am close by to 4wd hardware and i notice they have this kit:

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=451&plID=0&partID=4554

is it the same one that will fit my 01 xj? I know 4wd will beat anyone's price so i plan to ask them to do that. I just want to make sure it's a complete bolt-in system without having to do any mods whatsoever.

Thanks
Chris

Xtreme XJ said:
I could, but the angles are damn near perfect and I'd like to keep them that way.

Curt

yep me too - i have a 1 inch pitman arm which is pretty near stock and the angles for me are great buy the thread engaement issue is worrying me

oops i screwed that up. Aparke have you wheeled it yet with this issue? I twisted the threads when i was setting up the kit and noticed there is still a ton more thread engagemet even though it doesnt look good. The tre at the pitman arm is not so pretty either but i will give it a shot since my angles are dead on. I just did my long arms as well and had to adjust my track bar so i can barely keep my jeep on the road but i noticed the tightness of steering is much better so i will share my on road performance thoughts after an alignment.

dellstopjeep said:
oops i screwed that up. Aparke have you wheeled it yet with this issue? I twisted the threads when i was setting up the kit and noticed there is still a ton more thread engagemet even though it doesnt look good. The tre at the pitman arm is not so pretty either but i will give it a shot since my angles are dead on. I just did my long arms as well and had to adjust my track bar so i can barely keep my jeep on the road but i noticed the tightness of steering is much better so i will share my on road performance thoughts after an alignment.

yeah wheeled twice - but the on road characteristics are what are killing me even after an alignment... i have purchased commanche dudes derlin i believe spacer to help the roll on the draglink tre... as for thread engagement i have an appointment at my local fab shop to cut and sleeve the draglink and replace pitman arm tre with a HD heim joint... i am sitting at 7 inches of lift and i have a big deadspot in the steering and the steering responsivness is getting scary on the highway so with these mods it should tighten everything up... off road though it handles great though when making a full left turn i get no rub on long arms but on a full right turn it rubs on the arms (35 inch tire, 12.5 wide with 15x8 steel rim 4 inch bs i believe) before the box gives out - bleh- always something...

oh and btw my engagment in all the tubes by the TRE is OK overall but i think i feel better with over 1.5 inches - right now i am at 1 inch at the pitman arm tre

ok - put spacer on pass side knuckle TRE from com dude and it makes a HUGE difference. now i just need to adjust my steering because a left turn is super responsive and a right not so much

Back