• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rugged ridge steering??

That's a bit scary in terms of finding parts when you're stranded somewhere!

Although I call Rusty's on BS too when they say you'll find the tre's that their steering kit uses anywhere.....they're from an old 60's Jeep Commando or something, pretty damn rare to find even online! In terms of being in stock or backordered I mean..........

That's a bit scary in terms of finding parts when you're stranded somewhere!

Can't argue that. That's why I recommend to anyone that buys this system to budget in for a set of spare TRE's for it to carry with them. It's the only way to intelligently use this steering setup.

Of course that also makes it another $100+ more expensive.

Just go with the JCR 1 ton for like $340 or whatever it costs.

Rusty's cost $160 but then I spent $160 on moog TRE's so I spent about the same overall and could have had a better steering setup from the get-go....

Oh well live and learn.

Last edited:
Well you should account for the cost of a Reamer, $80 into the total cost. As it's a necessary tool for installing JCR's steering but a part few will have on hand.

My xj had RR steering on it when I bought it. I have no complaints about function, strength, or dead-spots. I needed to replace the tre's, so I bought the ones for the duarte kit(didn't know which kit was on the jeep). They didn't fit, but were in stock at oriely and napa. The idea of being stranded somewhere is not acceptable to me, so I ordered the rustys kit. When there are hundreds of oem tres available, there is Only 1 reason to use custom 1's, and that's to try and force me to buy more of your parts. Didn't work.

How is the Rusty's steering working out? Do you have the drag link above or in front of the tie rod? In front seems like it would allow the most droop, although I snapped the tierod end in half at the pitman arm when I had the axle drooping for some maintenance on jack stands.....it didn't snap until I got BACK HOME after taking a test drive after my control arm adjustments that night. Odd. Some "thing" had my ass saved. Lots of dead play with the drag link in front of the tie rod, seems like it wouldn't happen so much if it was positioned on top.

Back