• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rugged ridge steering??

dellstopjeep said:
well I drove this kit on street for real yesterday and tested on freeway. It is definitly a no go for me.
With some win gusts yesterday and the bumpsteer i could barely keep in lane and a couple times i was right out. This was at maybe 60 probably 55. I wont be buying jcr because I feel it will have this same affect for me so i guess its time for me to consider other options. I may lower my jeep in inch like i was planning anyways to try and help but who know if that will solve anything. Dont be a dumb ass like me and buykit to save a buck if your jeep is real tall.
Eric, I'm interested, maybe we can work a deal! Looks like you could use a real good deal on a bumper perhaps!

JR

ps - you might want to look at ORO's U-Turn steering, its pretty nice.

Last edited:
yeah man i am right there with you - the angles of steering with my lift creates for a very sloppy steering set up - i am looking at RK solid stock steering or a custom OTK set up... thats all i can do with about 7 inches of lift so until i get a new set up i am going to use mine and then sell the RR

First,I just saw a post awhile back with that crazy over/under crossed links.Anyway at the pitman arm it looked the the tre had a kick in it(that would be a great score).So,regardless of that(it would help),Im wanting to do a OTK Y-link.The draglink would be straight to the knuckle and the pass side angles should be flat enough to give good driving w/o any "roll" effects(or extremely minimal)!
Did anyone see that pic?

xalexjx said:
Anyone know the specs on the tre's?
Stock taper x 7/8"x18.

i havent ran my stock steering at 6 1/2 inches of lift, does anyone know if it will at least bolt up and work? I figure it will at least steer better then the rr kit. I want to run a zj tie road until and i can buy the kit i want.

aparke4 said:
the tire rod roll for this type of steering set up is inevitable - the poly spacers help prevent that... how much lift do u have?

where did you get the poly spacers, cant seem to find them anywheres..

We bought a package of 4 Daystar bushings for your upper front shock stems(10$).

How about one spacer at a time for $1.50 each? http://www.rjroffroad.com/blacknight-single-stem-shock-bushing-offroad-pr-17279.html

I got curious and checked into them in the warehouse, we've got plenty! I even took a picture of one on the yellow JK we have in the shop so it stands out in the photo

Notes: Website totals $6.62 shipped if you order just one, $8.24 if you order two. $1.50 if you order it with your RR steering system and use the coupon code!

Last edited:
JR what are the dimensions of those bushings???? and what type of material. I made a couple spacers out of some poly stock track bar bushings I had lyingh around which happened to have the exact size hole in them that I needed as well as exact diamter. I think you can buy them for like $5-7 at the autoparts store and then cut it in half or turn it down on a lathe like I did and you got yourself 4 spacers
hb1814_top.jpg

Check these out it is Dorman brand ; Dorman Shock & End Link Bushings: Size: .400" x .996" x .556" & .436" x 1.22" x .665"

Part Number: 31019

It is $4.95 here in CT at advanceautoparts. It looks like one of them will work by the measurements given on the site.
31019.jpg

Last edited:
They're polyurethane.

OD = 1.250"
ID = .435"
Height without shoulder = .405"
Height with shoulder = .530"
Shoulder OD = .845"

What does the height, OD and ID need to be, I can probably find something better suited with those measurements.

those will work too all you have to do is drill out the I.D. for 1.50 thats not bad

I got mine from Comanche Dude... put it on Thurs. eve. and it made a considerable difference... :thumbup:
I wish I didn't have to do it at all... it's only a band aid and wouldn't recommend the system for anyone over 2"... I also tore the pitman arm boot on the first trip... Unfortunately I already have it and it's only got MAYBE 350 miles on it and I really want it to work... I was happy with my ZJ tie-rod, but it was time to replace it and $$$ was comparable so I jumped... I hope the bushing holds up and the kit lasts...

Curt

i ordered some yesterday, then was in the garage this morning and found some poly bushings out of a civic rear lca i fixed a long time ago, It should work just drilling it out..:cool: Ill get some pictures up when i get to it later today.., Did you guys just remove the rubber boot that was on there? I hope this solves the whole dead spot issue, the tre's have some serious rolling issues..

I was looking at the JCR website and they have a similar set up with 7/8" Passenger side TREs. Has anyone checked to see if they fit to help alleviate the tire rubbing? They look fairly flat and might be able to help with the drag link TRE pushing into the tire.

Just a thought.

Back