• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rugged ridge steering??

joshv98xj said:
So what's the word on these kits?
I'm not looking for rock crawling steering, just a good upgrade for my DD and mild wheeler-

Who's been driving on them now for a little while?
Who's had success and how much lift do you have?

I read some about the TRE roll, does that vary depending on how high you're lifted?
Has the nylon spacer thing eliminated that?

Has anyone run the OTK on the driver's side with the flip insert?

Well if you have over a 4" lift the manufacture stated that you will get "roll"
And as I understand that is the case with all similar style systems no matter what the brand, it has to do with the angle from the steering arm to the link. I have the RR system installed at 6.5" lift and you can see the pass tre roll. I have driven on the road to and from my wheeling and didn’t feel the roll while driving or wheeling so in my case it does not affect my driving experience at all. Now I expect that roll will wear the part much quicker so I plan to make a spacer like they sell at JCR off-road and that will eliminate the roll. If you are running a lift under 4" you should not expect this "roll". The RR steering system is very hi quality and I am very happy with the system and recommend it to anyone that does not need an over the knuckle system. Basically for its designed purpose you can’t beat the system no matter how much you spend :)

Well I tried to adjust the steering stop and I had to move it all the way out and when I turned left the tre still hit the tire before it got to the steering stop. I guess I will have to buy new wheels with better backspacing or buy wheel spacers.

If I would have known this kit didn't work with stock wheels I would have spent the money on a currie or something better. Very disapointed. Good thing I have to drive 800+ miles on Friday, looks like I'll have to avoid turning left the whole way.

Boyjeepin said:
Well I tried to adjust the steering stop and I had to move it all the way out and when I turned left the tre still hit the tire before it got to the steering stop. I guess I will have to buy new wheels with better backspacing or buy wheel spacers.

If I would have known this kit didn't work with stock wheels I would have spent the money on a currie or something better. Very disapointed. Good thing I have to drive 800+ miles on Friday, looks like I'll have to avoid turning left the whole way.

Who's really to say that you wouldn't have had the same issue with other steering systems as well?

WheelinJR said:
Who's really to say that you wouldn't have had the same issue with other steering systems as well?

True, but looking at the way other systems are set-up I don't believe I would have the same problem that I am having.

And I also think that Rugged Ridge should inform people of this issue on their website as well as their distributors.

I've had my R.R. setup on for about 10 days... I'm still working out a bump steer issue and a possible D.W. issue... haven't noticed any loose jam nuts yet... loctite sounds like good insurance though...
As to availability I tried to call a few vendors and all were on back order so for the hell of it I called Q.Tec and they had a few... I asked why they were more then others and while on the phone he matched the price of the others.
So it might be worth a call to see if they have any & if they'll match the price.

Curt

Xtreme XJ said:
I've had my R.R. setup on for about 10 days... I'm still working out a bump steer issue and a possible D.W. issue... haven't noticed any loose jam nuts yet... loctite sounds like good insurance though...
As to availability I tried to call a few vendors and all were on back order so for the hell of it I called Q.Tec and they had a few... I asked why they were more then others and while on the phone he matched the price of the others.
So it might be worth a call to see if they have any & if they'll match the price.

Curt

I instantly got bump steer after this was installed. Im at 5.25" lift. The rollover in mine is so bad it really likes to wander on the road. I think the stock set-up is going back in for now. Quality of the kit is nice though.

This "backorder" or "parts no longer availble" has been going on from the begining of time. After market stuff is just that way.
Make as much as you can yourself and make two of them when you do. Use stock pards from curent model trucks or what ever. Parts you can get at any auto parts anywere. Parts you can get in year or two from now in a day or two. So you don't need to replace it all when a 20 buck parts goes south. It may take a little more time to build the first time but. It's so nice to get any replacement part at Autozone in two days.
PS: Keep a log of part numbers.

AutoAudioXJ said:
I instantly got bump steer after this was installed. Im at 5.25" lift. The rollover in mine is so bad it really likes to wander on the road. I think the stock set-up is going back in for now. Quality of the kit is nice though.

make a small spacer like jcr does and you wont have that problem anymore

dellstopjeep said:
make a small spacer like jcr does and you wont have that problem anymore
I already tried 1 and it didnt help,next step is to add 2 more,but I doubt its going to work!

RCP Phx said:
I already tried 1 and it didnt help,next step is to add 2 more,but I doubt its going to work!

I havent mounted the kit up yet it is still collecting dust in my garage as i finish my motor. but im at 6" so if this doesnt work it wont suprise me but i have two spacers i will try when i mount it up. wheel clearance wont be an issue for me though as i have the right offset im sure. But when i had crossover with my dana 44 front in the past on my old cherokee i had some real bad bumpsteer but it was driveable around town and to trails at speed limit. so a little bumpsteer wont make me to angry.

i have had this kit for a good 4-months now - two trail rides and has held up great but wanders like crazy on the road even after a pro alignment - also my draglink is only connected by 1/2 to an inch of threads at the tre at the pitman arm - i have right at 7 inches of lift so i am leaning towards a knuckle over or simply just using heims - on the trail it feels fine but is hard to get right on the road - the lock nuts come loose very easily so ample amounts of threadlocker was needed - i dunno i feel like i am overstretching this kit with over 6 inches of lift - my angles are ok but i just can not get it right on the road - steering wheel is cocked and it pulls left... overall on the trail i have seen nor heard nothing...

aparke4 said:
i have had this kit for a good 4-months now - two trail rides and has held up great but wanders like crazy on the road even after a pro alignment - also my draglink is only connected by 1/2 to an inch of threads at the tre at the pitman arm - i have right at 7 inches of lift so i am leaning towards a knuckle over or simply just using heims - on the trail it feels fine but is hard to get right on the road - the lock nuts come loose very easily so ample amounts of threadlocker was needed - i dunno i feel like i am overstretching this kit with over 6 inches of lift - my angles are ok but i just can not get it right on the road - steering wheel is cocked and it pulls left... overall on the trail i have seen nor heard nothing...
At that height your also running out of threads on the tre's!

yeah it is just safely enough engaged - the drag link needs to be about 3 or 4 inches longer - i might make one with 7/8 ends and use the tre's i have

RCP Phx said:

What exactly did not work? I ask because once you install a hard spacer the tre will not be able to roll. so I am at a loss to understand your statement.
Can you explain in more detail what type of spacer you used (specifically material) and how you installed it.

Thanks

Comanchedude said:
What exactly did not work? I ask because once you install a hard spacer the tre will not be able to roll. so I am at a loss to understand your statement.
Can you explain in more detail what type of spacer you used (specifically material) and how you installed it.

Thanks
90 durometer poly and it still rolls.this is not even my rig! It was an install on a friends rigs and He's still pissed about it! If youve read this entire thread you will see I bought it before the "Gold Rush".

yeah mine rolls bad - i think i need something more substantial for my lift - i like how the steering is strong (tube, tre) but for over 6 inches of lift it feels very squirrely - i cant get my steering wheel straight for the life of me even after 2 alignments... i might sleeve the drag link and extend it about 4 inches and use an insert and heim at the pitman arm - this might solve things or make a new drag link and fing 7/8 inserts and use tre's i have...

RCP Phx said:
90 durometer poly and it still rolls.this is not even my rig! It was an install on a friends rigs and He's still pissed about it! If youve read this entire thread you will see I bought it before the "Gold Rush".

Ok, the system works fine for me at 6.5" and I do get roll, but at this point has not caused any issues. I just want to reduce the wear on the joint. Now when a hard spacer is installed “as I understand it” is between the tre (body) and the mount surface. So if you have a hard spacer between the tre body and at a thickness that when you tighten up the nut it firmly pulls the body up tight against a hard spacer surface and the steel mount surface. At this point the tre has substantial friction that would allow twist in a horizontal plane without much effort, but the ability to twist “roll” in a vertical plane is under much more friction and would be practically if not totally eliminated during the normal steering cycle and only the force of the extreme articulation would give way to any amount of movement?
So with that understanding I wonder why the tre can roll during normal driving? I have made batch spacers at 1in thickness from hard nylon and will adjust thickness at install.
I plan to install in a couple days. I will post results.

Thanks

So from what I am reading this setup will not work on stock back spaced wheels? I have this set up on my 88 without any issues besides the roll. I just purchased another system for my 98 but it is rolling on stock wheels and a 3" BDS lift, it is running the 5 spoke aluminum wheels. The Question is am I going to have clearance issues if I dont run Wheel spacers. I was planning on installing the kit tonight at work so I can do an alignment right afterwards. If it does cause issues then I need to oreder Wheel spacers before I install it.

why would you go spend money on wheel spacers just so you can run this steering system?By the time you spent the $160 on the kit and another $100 or so dollars on spacers you would be able to afford a better steering system.Hell for that matter for the money spent on wheel spacers you could almost afford a set of crager soft eights($178 for four) with the backspacing required for steering setups that can't be run with stock rims(such as jcr's one ton setup)

Back