• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Trail in July?

SeansXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So im trying to plan a trip this year with a bunch of XJs, every trip i went on last year i was the only XJ in the group. I will be up there on the 4th for my birthday, i know most guys don't like goin up then due to crowds but i will say last year i drove in Saturday morning and did'nt see a single rig until Spider. So who is down and when?

I have always heard that the 'con was crowded over the 4th, but I guess thats not the case.

Pending school and family, I might be able to make it.

yeah a few years ago it would get really crowded up there on the 4th. The last 3 years have been pretty light holiday weekends, the last year being the slowest by far. I think with most people thinking its gonna be crowded they don't come up which makes for a light weekend.I wheeled up with the RockZombies, saturday night was a crazy night for sure. Don't get me wrong its far from boring,lol.

yah im probably down. i a thought slickrock would be parking lot on memorial day last year, and there were tons of clubs and buggies rolling through. it was actually tons of fun.

I'm amazed that the Rubi trail is not packed during the week of the 4th. I'd love to run that with you guys, but we have 5 days reserved up at Zephyr Cove in Tahoe that week. I will be on the Rubicon with about 70+ other rigs doing the annual Hi Lander's poker run on Father's day weekend, however.

2nd weekend of July(9th 10th 11th) is the Rubicon Midnight Run. Lots of people going. I will be attending that.

would i be able to make it and not ruin my XJ?

This is what i have done to it.

3 inch pro comp lift, 31's, AJ'S super rails and a spare tire. I know its not much but i would like to go if i can and not destroy my jeep.

I took a Jeep all the way through the Rubicon on 31" tires during a Jeeper's Jamboree. Although I made it without too much trouble, I swore I would never do it again. Damaged so much stuff it is not worth it. I advise against it unless taller than 31" tires and have a locker and plenty of protection.

i did it on 33s open/open no problem, mind you can't care about damage. 31sopen/open would take special care and could slow the group down...

you will need lots of spare parts..axle/drive shafts/steering/ujoints/tools,etc..go prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

i know them all pretty much, Travis,Cheeks,Baggy,Kranker,and the list goes on.

Im going to the con on 4th of july with about 30 rigs that are coming from washington, and oregon, and a few from the northern california and the bay. so we might make it a bit crowded but anyone is welcome. the smallest rig is on 33's in the group as of now.

i know them all pretty much, Travis,Cheeks,Baggy,Kranker,and the list goes on.

thats coo, i think i met most of them one night at ryan's house. Got drunk and passed out there. My X is michelle's sister. Pretty cool dudes, those guys are pretty hardcore about the sport, i wish i had half the time they have to wrench and wheel.

You going up with locked axles this year?

And logan, you can roll with me brotha. I'll let you drive my rig part of the way if you wana have some fun behind a wheel.

Last edited:
I took a Jeep all the way through the Rubicon on 31" tires during a Jeeper's Jamboree. Although I made it without too much trouble, I swore I would never do it again. Damaged so much stuff it is not worth it. I advise against it unless taller than 31" tires and have a locker and plenty of protection.

Ok i will not be going on this trip then it sounds like. i have more stuff that i have to do to the jeep before i go out with everyone. Thanks for the input guys.

Ok i will not be going on this trip then it sounds like. i have more stuff that i have to do to the jeep before i go out with everyone. Thanks for the input guys.

Do the Stawberry Pass run in mid July. There's a thread on the SC someplace. My kid will be there with his 31's and that is a good trail for that setup. I took a stock Liberty through there in 2002 and had to stack rocks, but made it through.

Yeah maybe I could make it for that one! I would still love to go out the Con! I am locked in the rear but only sitting on 31's and only have Appalachian Armor Trans Skid and Ruff Stuff Diff Covers. Would def need Rock Rails and some other Junk! Also 33's would be sweet on my 3 1/2" lift... Oh well

Back