• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon in June

I had to look carefully at that. It appears to me, that the Blueribbon press relase somewhat misstates the effect of the ruling addressed yesterday, which is different than the one addressed today (or one of possibly many motions related to the central contest; NEPA).

Of course, it's a press release from the CFBD, we can guess what their slant is.

--ron

Hmmm they are talking about offroad vehicle use being restricted while IIRC Rubicon Trail is still rated as a regular road (well not as regular as other ones, but still a road).
I sure hope they didn't close it off....

CRASH said:
Still need to find out about what USFS is doing about the hole the asshat dug with the stolen tractor.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

Didn't hear about this - got a link to the backstory?

BrettM said:
I don't think Fordyce is an option at all, at least running the trail all the way through. The hole is going to be repaired Memorial Day weekend by the 4dyce club. However Fordyce may have less snow at the beginning because it starts 800ft lower than the Rubicon, but the top of Fordyce (Meadow Lake) is 1000ft higher than any part of the Rubicon. Last year I went to Fordyce a week into June and it was easy sailing on the rocks, but I had to use the front ARB several times in mud on the lower part of the trail and many, many snowbanks on the road from Meadow to Hwy. 89. 35s aired down to 8psi and locked front and rear and I barely made it out. Everyone that's been up to the Rubicon in the last month has said that the snow pack is WAY more than last year at this time, and the highest in the last 10 years plus.

Just because you can't get all the way through, doesn't mean you can't have a good time on winch hills 1,2 and 3. Then take the bail-out to Fordyce Lake.

I went in to the turn off to Meadow Lake last weekend from HWY 89, and it is 5+ feet in the sun. It's got to be 10+ feet back at winch #5, etc.

10 day forecast says mid 80's all the way.

Snow is melting VERY fast. Rivers are swollen to capacity.

You may get a shot at the 'Con after all in late june.

CRASH

Are there river/stream crossings on the Rubicon? What are those going to be like with all the runoff?

karstic said:
Are there river/stream crossings on the Rubicon? What are those going to be like with all the runoff?

Snorkle time! Make sure you bring your mask and fins!

Guess i should go ahead a whole saw my floor before I bed line it then... dammit

We are going to have a blast... rain, snow, or sun.

karstic said:

MUD at Rubicon springs.

The stinkiest, foulest, dirtiest mud that nature can create. It's really more like soup. Since the "fix" last year, it's not as deep as it used to be. Only about 2 feet now. Used to swallow the whole front of your rig in the springtime.

Only one stream crossing, and it's regulated. Usually hub deep, sometimes can swallow a 35. Not a lot of flow, though.

CRASH

95 degrees today in Sac.....snow is melting fast. Let's hope things stay dry and hot.

jmaxj said:
i'm already ready to go:D that is if i don't break anything by then.
I don't think I have to worry about that :D I got so much stuff I have to do (fix), plus help couple people out that I doubt I will have time to wheel before the Con :D

Hey who is going to be checkin conditions for the trail? I DO NOT think we should go with it wet. To damaging. I know its late june, but with the funky weather, should we discuss alternatives?

Matt

Scrappy said:
Hey who is going to be checkin conditions for the trail? I DO NOT think we should go with it wet. To damaging. I know its late june, but with the funky weather, should we discuss alternatives?

Matt
I am monitoring FOTR list for current status, and on top of that I not only have my fingers crossed but I also did an anti rain dance.
Anyways with the way things are looking, looks like the weekend of 23rd might be the first really nice weekend (provided it doesn't rain heavily again before then).
Anyways, I don't know about anyone else, but short of the trail being in a bad condition were traveling through it might be harmful to it, I am going.

I might be up for going if I can get ready in time assuming you'd let some northwester go :D Not sure when I'd come in although I'd be more geared towards 2 days on the trail but thats just me.

I think we are done with rain. Still plenty of snow but it was melting VERY fast at my 4,600 foot camp spot over the weekend. It was nearly 80 degrees every day ay 5,000 feet. No rain in sight and 90's in the valley all week. We should be fine.

Kejtar said:
I am monitoring FOTR list for current status, and on top of that I not only have my fingers crossed but I also did an anti rain dance.
Anyways with the way things are looking, looks like the weekend of 23rd might be the first really nice weekend (provided it doesn't rain heavily again before then).
Anyways, I don't know about anyone else, but short of the trail being in a bad condition were traveling through it might be harmful to it, I am going.

Back