• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country

Just finished installing the 6.5" RC lift yesterday. Was about as easy to install as any lift could be. I did have an issue adjusting down the adjustable control arms but like Grimus noted if you take them apart and wipe off the heavy grease out of the thready then try it again it goes a lot better. I have not had a chance to wheel it yet but so far I am real happy with it.

And as for customer service Grimus was great, got my parts ordered and delivered when he said they would be! I hope to not need to use the RC support but knowing that there is a person who takes the same interest there that we do is a reassuring thing.

I've been running the RC6.5 for a couple months now. This is my first "store bought":shocked: Cherokee lift. My XJ is a daily driver, week-end wheeler, tool bob and I even haul out hardwood with it. The RC lift gave me a great kit (I upgraded the shocks). It was fairly easy to install even with years of rust on everything. Sure there are more expensive kits with other designs on the market. Rough Country provided me with the best bang for the buck! I may upgrade some odds and ends over the next while but for now am really happy with it.

p.s.I've read every page of this thread too BTW:exclamati

Grimmus - I sent you an email a few days ago.

I have a 96 XJ 4.0 4wd auto with a dana 30 front, and a Chrysler rear. I'm looking to get a lift here soon, and I wanted to ask you what package you would recommend for me. the car has 190k miles and I do notice that the rear of the stock suspension already shows some sag (leafs). I want to get under 4 inches or 3 and a half. I am on a budget, so maybe 4 won't be possible. From what some people say, I should get the long leafs in the rear, is that correct?

Also, what size shocks are they, the reason I ask, is because based on what I've read, maybe it would be a good idea to get other shocks (I have a cousing that works for jeep -parts manager- so he can probably get me the rubi shocks or bilsteins depending on the length and what not. Thanks for the info... Oh, can you include EVERYTHING that i'll need :)

Thanks for your help!

GRIMUS99XJ said:
try to take the arms completly apart and clean the treads with a wire brush and alot of tomes all that grease cakes up the bottom of the threads stopping it from adj all the way in

I tried that and didnt go in any farther! But no prob ill cut them like an inch on each one probably tomarrow, then ill be able to center my axle so i can hook my front sway bar back up. Since i have the drop brackets now i dont think ill ever have to screw them out that far again anyway. But Thanks 4 ur help!

Ordered my lift from Jason today..he is a great guy and saved me some money...if you are looking for a lift, this is the guy to talk to..

-Mike

OK so the RE vs RC thing has pretty well been solved here. RE is good parts, RC is good for some folk's applications. etc...
but....
How would the RC 4" full leaf kit compare to Rusty's 4" leaf pack kit compare?
:idea:

LAcherokee said:
Well, from what I've gathered.. the key is (for me at least) long leafs in the rear, and I'll get my own shocks Bilstein most likely.

Over the years it has amazed me how many people put AALs on old worn out springs and expect them to hit the advertised lift numbers. If people are going through all the trouble to lift a vehicle why cheap out and not get new srings. The youngest of these trucks is over 7 years old at this point.

Brian_NJ said:
Over the years it has amazed me how many people put AALs on old worn out springs and expect them to hit the advertised lift numbers. If people are going through all the trouble to lift a vehicle why cheap out and not get new srings. The youngest of these trucks is over 7 years old at this point.
ah yes but what if these younger springs are not sagging and have only 78k miles on it?
:eeks1:

KI4KWF said:
ah yes but what if these younger springs are not sagging and have only 78k miles on it?

I found some "not as old" springs with around 80k miles and put my AAL on them. I got the lift advertised and I have had the 3" RC lift on for almost 2 years and it has held up pretty well, though having a 33" spare hanging on the back has my back end sitting a little low. The ride is stiff, but its what I expect from a lifted vehicle.

KI4KWF said:

I would guess it all depends on the shape of the springs in question. If the jeep was used for towing it is going to have more wear on the spring than one that was just a grocery getter :) but unless money is realy that tight I would rerplace them with full packs in the rear myslef but that is just my .02

this is slightly off topic, but how much can i get for my existing rusty's 3" AAL kit with <3,000 miles on it and stuff like old LCA's, tracbar, etc?

Brian_NJ said:

Well, my xj has 190K miles.. as it is, it does sag a bit in the rear maybe an inch. I told Jason over at RC about this, and asked him if it would pose a problem. He said NO. He recommended the long leafs but said it would not be a problem.

What do you guys think, I mean I would think Jason knows what he is talking about... but then the last thing I want to is only get an inch and a half out of a 3 inch kit

LAcherokee said:
Well, my xj has 190K miles.. as it is, it does sag a bit in the rear maybe an inch. I told Jason over at RC about this, and asked him if it would pose a problem. He said NO. He recommended the long leafs but said it would not be a problem.

What do you guys think, I mean I would think Jason knows what he is talking about... but then the last thing I want to is only get an inch and a half out of a 3 inch kit

I put 3" RC AAL on my 01 and only got 2". It's rough as hell unloaded even with stock shocks.

Back