• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country

Today I put the drop brackets and braces on my Jeep. Rough Country's drop brackets and braces are very well built and well thought out. They are also very beefy and I have no fear of them failing at anytime. They fit very well and were very easy to install.

The hardest part of the install was taking apart my Jeep. My Jeep is an eastern Jeep but the rust was not the problem, my lift has only been on for about 2 years. The hardest part was getting the damn upper control arms off. On the passenger side, the upper bolt came out without much problem. Once it was out, the problem was getting the control arm out of the stock bracket. Once it was out everything bolted right up without any problems.

The drivers side upper control arm: the nut came off rather easy but then we couldn't get the bolt out. We had to undo the upper control arm at the axle. The nut came off easy but we had one hell of a time gettng the bolt out. Once we pounded on it for a while it came out, and everything went back together very easy.

These do push you axle forward at least an inch. once everything was bolted back up, my sway bar was hitting my coil spring on the passenger side. It was not to bad to fix the problem. All we did was rotate the coil spring slightly.

The drop brackets have made my Jeep ride much better. They have also reduced the amount of noise coming into the cab because of the reduced angle of the control arms. Now when I run over a bump in the road, or a pot hole, it doesn't jar the Jeep like it used to.

Over all I am VERY pleased with the purchase, and so far the performance of these parts. I will be taking the Jeep on it's first offroad trip, since the install, this weekend. I will let you now how they do.

3" lift with full leaves
ext brake lines
discos
adj. lcas
shocks

shipped to 18403

could i get the price without the lcas and shocks aswell

Just installed my 4.5" RC lift on my first Jeep that I picked up from a NJ Sheriff Dept. It's a '98 XJ (not sure what model) with the 4.0 and NP231. I didn't order the SYE and as it turns out, I don't need it. No vibrations, no death wobble or pulling - I did have it aligned by local shop. Customer service is EXCELLENT - Thanks Jason. When the lift arrived one of the rear spring pack retaining clips had broken off. I called Jason and had a new spring pack in 4 days - no problems!!

If anyone orders from RC, just BE SURE TO CALL Jason(Grimus99XJ) to get the NAXJA discount. I placed my order online and noted that I was a NAXJA member but I guess nobody saw it.

I also got the RCX rock rails during their Xmas daily special - delivered to my front door for $160. Can't beat that deal with a stick.

I am considering the drop brackets if I can save up the $$$$$. It sounds like most people like them to improve road manners. My XJ is not my daily driver but will see considerable street/highway mileage to/from trails and the beach.

My friend had a 98 cherokee in which he installed a 4.5" RC lift with full leaf packs, that worked great. Now my question is, do all of your kits ride like dump trucks whether it be with upgraded shocks or whatever. His jeep would break your damn teeth on any kind of bump. I want a RC due to the prices, but not if they ride like that.

xjnewbi said:
Just installed my 4.5" RC lift on my first Jeep that I picked up from a NJ Sheriff Dept. It's a '98 XJ (not sure what model) with the 4.0 and NP231. I didn't order the SYE and as it turns out, I don't need it. No vibrations, no death wobble or pulling - I did have it aligned by local shop. Customer service is EXCELLENT - Thanks Jason. When the lift arrived one of the rear spring pack retaining clips had broken off. I called Jason and had a new spring pack in 4 days - no problems!!

If anyone orders from RC, just BE SURE TO CALL Jason(Grimus99XJ) to get the NAXJA discount. I placed my order online and noted that I was a NAXJA member but I guess nobody saw it.

I also got the RCX rock rails during their Xmas daily special - delivered to my front door for $160. Can't beat that deal with a stick.

I am considering the drop brackets if I can save up the $$$$$. It sounds like most people like them to improve road manners. My XJ is not my daily driver but will see considerable street/highway mileage to/from trails and the beach.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/announcement.php?f=44&a=47

After reading (most of this thread) I am impressed with the Service that Jason (GRIMUS99XJ) at Rough Country provides to his customers.

Rough Country has just took top place on my new XJ build list. I just purchased a 1994 XJ Sport with a 4.0L 5sp and I would like to spice it up with a 3" lift to clear 31's.

I live in the Arctic so cold temps, lots of muskeg and water, not to mention very cold temps are part of the adventure. Like many others I too am on a budget, however I am a die hard Jeeper and love to explore new places. It's a win-win when us XJ's guys have a awsome site like NAXJA and great support from companies like Rough Country who take customer service seriously and provides them with products in a supportive manner.

Thanks to this thread I have made up my mind on my next lift.

Jeff

Last edited:
^x2, Jason and RC in general are great.

I'm loving my new LCAs, they added at least an inch and a half of droop on my axle, and it got rid of the wobbles I was getting from my beat up stock arms. My axle will now drop until it runs out of shock length. Like others have said, I greased them well and they are completely silent.

i got a 96 cherokee and want a 3 inch lift that is under 300$ with front coils and probably a AAL in the back. i have looked at rusty's and RC, which is better. im not really concerned about ride that much but it would be nice. how long does it last until these sag.
Thanks.

i've used the rough country and it was great for 3" of lift. it never sagged. flexed how i wanted it for how much lift and rode decent,

Jason got my control arm drop brackets Last friday.(ordered them thursday..cant beat shipping thanks) I put them on saturday, instalation was straight foward and easy now it rides almost like stock again im very pleased. only one problem even with control arms all the way in, my discos get caught in the springs. I was thinkn about cuting the treads on all my control arms an inch shorter to fix this. because now my axle is about that much forward neway. any imput? thanks

eagolden said:
Jason got my control arm drop brackets Last friday.(ordered them thursday..cant beat shipping thanks) I put them on saturday, instalation was straight foward and easy now it rides almost like stock again im very pleased. only one problem even with control arms all the way in, my discos get caught in the springs. I was thinkn about cuting the treads on all my control arms an inch shorter to fix this. because now my axle is about that much forward neway. any imput? thanks

how much lift do you have

This seems to be getting silly - according to reports I've gotten. So, let me be the first to say "IBTL!"

Guys, cool off and take a minute or three and figure out all your tech questions. Then, how about you make a new tech thread? This one is getting silly (it's not me thinking this - I haven't followed it. But, we've gotten a few reports on it...)

Awright, gang...

I closed this thread due to complaints. Then I got hit for closing it (which, to be fair, is my job - dealing with complaints. No-one ever promised me it would be easy...)

After explaining that closing a thread like this is merely a tool that allows me to marshal my forces to deal with a situation more thoroughly, that handled one set of complaints. I hope I've handled the other now.

I've gone through the last few pages (where it seemed to fall apart,) and stripped out posts that didn't seem to visibly contribute to the content of this thread. I'm sure I'll get people kvetching at me about that, but there's nothing for it. But, I've done what I can, and tried to preserve the thread (which is the final goal anyhow - this is otherwise an informative thread, and I really did want to keep it.)

So, let's all play nice. I still don't want to nuke this thread, but I'll be keeping an eye on it. We're "Open for Business" again, and I'd honestly like to see it stay that way, OK?

Jon

Weak sauce.

goodburbon said:
Consider a move to Vendors forum?

It was more a matter of getting wildly off-topic and non-technical than being a matter of Vendor issues. Maybe Sponsors should have dedicated threads in Vendors to answer questions and such that should be answered openly (a thought which has just occurred to me, in fact,) but that wasn't the case here. Things were just getting nuts, I'd gotten a few reports on it, and I locked it so it wouldn't get worse while I rested up to deal with it (I wasn't in any shape to sort things out last night.)

We've hammered out an acceptable solution, and I'm just hoping it stays that way. I just hate doing jobs twice, you know?

Back