• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country and Rustys

woody said:
Same here... I've ran Rusty's 3" and 4.5" (boosted to 6.5") for quite awhile, also ran Rustys track bar, steering, crossmember, skids etc... NEVER had a bit of problems from these parts.

I can say that This man is not a liar. His rig is completely hard. He has put it through more that I would ever do to anything that was not just for trail use only. Trust me Ive seen this thing. THE BEAST it is. Joe

sayit said:
This is a Rustys 3"...but with the full leaf. I have had it on the jeep since last thanksgiving. All seems well. No problems. It flexes well. No sagging as of yet.

749273_10_full.jpg

Cant see the pic

I own an 85 wagoneer and bought the three inch lift from RC and I wish that I would of got full leafs because the AAL bent everything into a W. Other than that I am satified with it for what I do. I beat my truck very hard in the mud and have not broken a part from RC. If I had the extra money I would have gone with RE or Superlift.

Just my .02

Not exactly a W, the springs were about a year old when I put in the AAL. About six months of hard off roading the springs started to bend on the outside by the bolts while the arch of the AAL stayed the same. So it kind of looks like a W. New springs are on the way with a shackle set.

I'm not quite sure why that picture is not showing up...it works locally for me.

I'll check it again

You could always right click on it and copy the url into a new window.

Steele said:
I put a RC on my 98 and I like it a lot. I picked the whole setup on ebay for $145, and it has been on there about 30k with no issues. It flexes good and I have been very pleased. Seems that everyone else only says RE but I had to see for myself, and the way I look at it I got a great deal.

What did the $145 buy include?

Mine came with coils, AALs and shocks. Only things I liked where the coils and shocks. The AALs sucked so I replaced them with S10 packs. Now I need a set of MJ shackles and i'll throw in my 2" spacers up front. That should let me sit at about 5"....perfect for 34s.

S10, Dakota, MJ... look for any set that are 2.5" wide with a lot of arch.

If it's easier to cut/torch them off the donor vehicle... you don't need the spring eyes on the main leaf. The leaves are mixed in underneath the XJ main leaf... A combination of the increased arch and thickness of the leafpack give the lift.

robz95xj said:
Are MJ leafs longer than XJ leafs?

Yes, they are apprx 53.5" eye to eye... the XJ springs are apprx 50"

MJ (metric ton minus one short leaf) factory leafpack over 6" XJ pack

5XJ_stuff_042-med.jpg

I have heard mixed reviews on Rustys, almost all bad and regretful comments on Rough country. And the ride sucks hence the name.

If i was you i would hold out a few weeks or months and save up some more coin, if you are keeping this ride for a few years its worth it, especially if its a daily driver. Also i know money matters i am just a few years out of college and have been the kinda poor that you only hear about in movies, but i know cheaping out on parts and hardware whether it is for your computer, your boat, your car IT ALWAYS COSTS MORE IN THE LONG RUN! Plus you are never as happy, and waste lots of time working on it and patching it with RE and JKS parts after you trash the weak stuff.

I've owned Rustys stuff and live about 1 hour away. Go RE!

I read that thread, it's a great write-up! I've been looking at the Rusty's 300SP 3" lift for $418. I noticed that this kit doesn't come with the lower control arms? Are they neccesary and if so, where can I get them? I just got this 90 XJ a few weeks ago and the bug has got this newbie bad!

Glad to hear that a few of you folks are having good luck with your Rusty's kits. I guess there's an exception to every rule. I'm no mechanical engineer by any stretch, but if you ever get a chance to compare the materials, material thicknesses, design, construction, welds, and finishes on other higher end brands of lifts to the rusty's gear, then definitely take it. I think some people would be quite surprised, given they know what they're looking at.

Back