• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rhino Line on winch mount bumper?

Breezio69

NAXJA Forum User
Just a quick question, I recently built a prerunner style bumper tough enough to handle a winch. My plan was to get it Rhino Lined since my dad is a manager at a dealership and can get me a great deal on it. I got an XRC8 Comp winch for Xmas so now its time to take it off an get it done.

I didnt really think anything of it but my dad brought this up, should I tape off where the winch will be sitting? So its a metal to metal contact with no Rhino Liner in between. My dad seems to think the Rhino Lining will give enough to snap the bolts if it flexes when Im using it but I am skeptical about it and it seems like an added pain.... opinions?

I would say tape it, given that rhinolining is roughly 1/4 thick urethane, and there is an awful lot of stress on a small area. Plus your dad is helping you out, why no humor him?

1/4 thick? really? the professionally applied truck bed lining on my comanche is.... 1/8th tops..... maybe 3/16, but not a 1/4.

My personal experience with rhino lining on a bumper is really bad. In my opinion it looked horrible and it always looks so dirty. So now my bumper is rattle canned and looks much better + it's easy to touch up. That's just MY opinion though.

Bed liner on anything you will want to get back to later with a welder will suck.

When you scrape off the bed liner, do you think you will be able to touch it up?

Bed liner on anything you will want to get back to later with a welder will suck.

When you scrape off the bed liner, do you think you will be able to touch it up?

You can usually tell where it's been touched up. Plus, DIY stuff doesn't match the professional stuff very well.

Here is everything that is professionally Rhino Lined within just my family.

Tub on 98 TJ in grey, tub on 72 Bronco, Front and rear bumpers on both, two truck beds, a trailer deck... I have never seen it 1/4" thick on any of these pieces, you can still see the detail (humps) in the beads of weld on the bumpers on the TJ, Id say 1/8" tops like XCM said...

All the vehicles have been driven in winters with salt, its still all there and intact and also still looks shiny black (or grey in the TJ) the truck beds have been loaded with gravel and after a wash look like nothing was in it, im not worried about it holding up.

Also, in regard to the touch up... If I built it right and has everything I need on it the first time why would I need to scrape it off? 1/4" plate winch mount center section, 1/4" 6 hole mounts made from scratch, 2" dom main flat hoop and center bar, 1 1/2" dom sections of tube off the hoop from top to the end of the bumper and tube from the end of the bumper into the mounting brackets, making a triangle supported vertically and front to back if I hit something either way.

Im just going to tape it off, better safe than sorry. And im sorry if this response came off the wrong way to anybody, but two people answered the question I asked and 7 people told me it will look like shit, when I know first hand what the stuff looks like and how its held up for 6+ years on dozens of friends and familys rigs (which is why im doing it). Like I said, this is going to be a professional job, not a $9 can of underbody spray.

Thanks everybody!

Last edited:
Back