• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear wiper delay

mrbill

NAXJA Forum User
While traveling over the holiday season my rear wiper on my 1998 xj classic started to act up. It will wash the window fine but will only wipe in approxamate quarter cycles. ( meaning it will wipe for a three or four inch path stop(delay) then wipe again for a 3 or 4 inch path and so on) my question is.. is there a way to replace the delay on the rear wiper or is it built into the motor. I have only had the jeep for a little over a year and have had no other problems. Also is there a good after market repair manual out there any where?

Thanks

mrbill

I am not an expert on XJ rear wiper motors, but if it's anything like the one on my wife's 94 Plymouth van, the motor proper was the culprit. I would suspect that's the case here as well.

The ONLY service manual worth getting if the Chrysler Factory Manual. They can be had at D-C's website "TechAuthority". Sometimes they pop up for sale used on eBay.

DON'T waste your time on Chilton's, Haynes, etc., as they are NOT year specific enough to cover the subtle stuff. Spring for the real deal. I would guess the full set for your '98 will run somewhere between $75 and $100.

Even though I have a 90' I replaced my rear window wiper with a unit from a 97'. If you take off the back hatch cover you will see the wiper motor and relay are built into the same unit with 3 or 4 bolts holding the motor in with a trangle metal cover plate. There is one electrical connector for the unit.

So to replace the unit.

Remove the back hatch cover
Remove the 3 or 4 bolts holding the motor in place
Remove the large nut on the outside of hatch
Remove the window wiper arm by inserting a small screw driver under a little clip in the base of the wiper arm and pulling (gently) to remove the arm
Unplug the electrical connection

I hope this helps and also I bought mine at a u-pull-it yard for 10 bucks.

You can use a non delay motor and swap the relay over. It takes a little work and a few moments figuring out which wires to splice but it can be done.
IIRC there were only 3 connections to be made and it will work fine. Big tip, open the gear drive of the motor and clean the old grease out and replace with a good grease that won't gum up at low temps. when I opened my old one to see why it quit it was obvious that the grease was closer to cement and that burned the motor out.
You may want to check the for sale forumn as I got mine there for like $15+shipping.
Let me know when you are going to make the swap and I'll go look at mine and see what wires need to be spliced on the relay.
HTH

while were on this subject . . . how exactly does the rear wiper function? When I toggle the switch down it wipes a few times and sprays, but when I toggle up, it does nothing (at least right away). Would it be safe to say its not working properly?

Toggle up is "run" mode. If it works in wipe/wash mode you may have a bad switch. You should take the motor out, clean the old grease out and put some new grease that works well at low temps and see what happens. The clean out may help significantly IF it works but just slowly.

Last edited:
My 99 switch

When I push the toggle down, it is "on" about a 10-15 second cycle, push all the way and hold, and it activates the wash and wipes 3 times in a row, when I pull the switch back, it is "off".. Don't know if that answers the questions.

However, I am now having the same problem in the colder weather. I am going to try the "replace the grease" method mentioned before I totally burn it out.

I have this same problem

turn it to run and the wiper move a little and stops, moves more and stops. It looks like the relay because when I put it in wash mode it moves fine.

can anyone help?

You need to remove the motor, clean out the gearbox and regrease it. Also it is quite likely that there is a bunch of corrosion on the shaft. After you remove the motor spray a BUNCH of PB around the shaft so it goes down inside and works on the corrosion in there. After a day or two of soaking tear into the gearbox and regrease that. If not, spend a few bucks at AZ and get a rebuilt one. I tried the clean out and after a few days I got a new one. I have an Expedition and was able to disassemble it and repair/clean it so I tried it on my jeep, didn't work very well though as I couldn't disassemble it without breaking it.

Back