• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-hashing my XJ build for the North Coast

can't wait to see how it looks bolted up and what the powder coat loooks like!

love the patriot blue jeeps

Thanks man!

Unrelated to my jeep-

Went to Redmond OR yesterday. Took my Dart, my dad and I drove all the way up there to buy another WJ. This one is actually his...
Our Jeep history has been this-
Silver WJ- my moms, given to me, I sold it, and bought my Dart.

Green WJ- Supposed to be my moms, I ended up daily driving it for a year, until we sold the silver jeep- The green wj is an overland, the silver was just a laredo basically, so the green wj is now hers again. It is way nicer than the silver wj was.

Now this new Graphite Metallic overland- Officially my dad's. He will be retiring next year, and since he has had company cars for 35 years, this will be his first project vehicle he can call his OWN, since he started his professional career in SF, in the early 80's.

It is a 2004 Overland, 4.7HO- 330ftlbs of torque, stock. These have the limited slips F+R, and it comes fully loaded with leather, heated seats, sunroof... All the things the xj's rarely had, yet it is still a dual solid axle rig. This one will get the same 3 inch IRO lift and Bilsteins that the greenj has. Except it will likely get Kevlars.

This thing is cherry. We found like, 3 scratches, 2 little dents and no rust. Only 84K on the clock.
Pics from the trip!

In Redmond-
Oregon Bound by Sean Mitchell, on Flickr

Stopping at Crater Lake... Completely Beautiful

And the long road home.

Nice WJ !

what did you get it for?

Ive always loved your jeep man. Super clean and well done with super nice parts. Awesome work.
And nice come up on the WJ!

Thanks Jon! It wasn't cheap. 13k. But the thing is crazy clean, and my dad was considering a 2015 GC... so he saved about 37,000 going this route so he is happy.

Tim- Will do dude. Always looking for new places to visit.

Cencal- Thanks dude! I'm stoked for the bumper to show up, eventually. lol

I cant wait to see it on! I've always loved JCR stuff, my wallet doesn't though haha

Yeah I can't wait either. But it looks like I'll have to.

I called them today, the guy gave me no info and said "Sorry I'll find out and call you back in a little while!"

5 hours later, nothing, so I emailed him.

He finally got back to me saying-
The powdercoat was flawed. They are having to totally strip the bumper and re-shoot it. It will not even ship until the 29th of this month.

He offered me a free roto-pax mount, ($60).

If I could have done this over, I either A)- Would have ordered it with raw or B)- Not have ordered it at all.

I understand production issues happen, but over 2 months for a bumper? This isn't a one man operation like Rigidco. It is JCR. They always brag about how big their production is now, yet they can't produce products they advertise on the website in a reasonable time. If you tell a customer 17-22 days to ship date, you better at least be close. They have time to make stupid youtube videos though. Just not bumpers.

Really, really lame. Should have kept the C4x4 and just ordered a 5th wheel adapter. I would have saved a lot of money and time.

i love that WJ!

damn I am sorry to hear this. makes me wonder what the hell is going on. I was under the impression they had 1-5 built of each and did runs on them so they would ship fast.

are you going to put in the little LED lights into the bumper too?

Yeah absolutely. I got confirmation that my upper portion, (tire carrier) shipped. It is sitting at my work. I'm in Vegas this week. So hopefully the bumper will show up early this next week. They did throw in rotopax mounts. Can't wait to see it.

I have an addiction.
So my dad wants the gray wheels from my cherokee for his gray jeep. (17's off the freedom edition jk)

I found a set of new Rubicon wheels in Santa Rosa, so my jeep will be getting the 2013 wheels, and his wj will get the grey wheels off of mine. Stoked!

These will be on my xj- And luckily I can mount and balance them myself at work.
2013 rubi wheels by Sean Mitchell, on Flickr

I have an addiction.
So my dad wants the gray wheels from my cherokee for his gray jeep. (17's off the freedom edition jk)

I found a set of new Rubicon wheels in Santa Rosa, so my jeep will be getting the 2013 wheels, and his wj will get the grey wheels off of mine. Stoked!

These will be on my xj- And luckily I can mount and balance them myself at work.
2013 rubi wheels by Sean Mitchell, on Flickr

thems those wheels i'm a needin' fer the wife's rig! :cheers:

A few minor updates.

Still compiling parts. My rear bumper is sitting at the Fedex freight facility near my house, but they are closed and it isn't scheduled till monday to go out. Lame because I have this whole weekend to wrench, but no bumper.

Decided on a set of Rigid Dually flood, diffused lights for the rear bumper. These things are serious quality. $160 bucks on amazon.
New Parts for Summer by Sean Mitchell, on Flickr

My dad picked up the new wheels from a guy in Santa Rosa... They are flawless. Not looking forward to dismounting, mounting, and balancing my Kevlars however! That tread is a pain to handle on the tire machine. But... I save lots of money doing it myself.

I did receive the tire carrier. I have really great luck though. The UPS guy was dragging it when it showed up at my work. Totally scraped the very edge of the powdercoat, and the box was broken. Idiots! Luckily the bumper is coming Fedex, so I hope to have better luck.

The quality is insane. This is the hinge cover. And JCR was kind enough to swap out the JK tire mount for the carrier to match my new wheels for free.

JCR must be hiring idiots in the shipping department. They did not include the (advertised) license plate bracket, or the LED light that should be included. Also, no hardware for the Rotopax mounts. A quick call and that stuff is on its way also. I was sure to check that the box damage had nothing to do with the lack of these parts.

I have a new set of Napier flares I got about 6 months ago, to replace all my rock-damaged flares. New wheels, and a full bumper set up to install next week. Very excited!

I really enjoy having a full time job!

Jealous! Take a lot of pics!

Holy crap I just got a lot done.
Monday- 8 hours wrenching at work- 4 at home, mounted the bumper. Required removal of the carpet, side panels in the trunk area, and the d pillar cage hoop.

Tuesday- 8 hours wrenching at work- 4 at home, finished the bumper, sideplates, reassembled trunk area/ roll cage

Today- 8 hours wrenching at work- 4 at home- Mounted the tire carrier, mounted the license plate. The project is mostly done, but I need to wire the Rigid reverse lights, and re-invent the license mount.

Too much wrenching for just 3 days.

Final product- The license plate will be relocated to the right, and below the tire. The JCR mount is silly because you'd have to disconnect the light to get the tire off. When I have time!

JCR Vanguard by Sean Mitchell, on Flickr

Back