• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions Questions Questions

Peter D

NAXJA Forum User
I have a few of 'em, so please bear with me.

Since it seems almost everyone on here knows more about XJs and XJ parts than me, I figured I'd ask here.

I have a '00 stock 4 door XJ 4.0 litre 4x4 and was looking for ways to beef it up a bit. Mostly in the areas of axles, hubs. Firstly, what exactly do locking hubs do? Can they be fit onto my stock steel wheels? Do I need to change anything with my brakes or axleshafts in order to accommodate them? I'm pretty sure I have a Dana 30 up front and a 35 in the rear, how do I know for sure and how do I find out what my gear ratios are? And if in fact they are d30/d35 are they 27 spline axles? Can i swap in 30 splines into the stock axlehousings? I have a bunch of other questions too but I'll start with that. I'm slowly learning more and more both by reading the forums and flipping through pages of my old '4 Wheel Drive and sport ute' mags.

What I really want for my rig is to replace most of the "weaker" spots with heavier duty parts (tie rod, track bars, shocks/springs, etc.) without going ballistic. I don't really want to lift it at all, if I do then no more than 2 inches. maybe Old Man Emu replacement parts. I have my heart set on ARB air lockers/compressor though. I just found an article on fourwheeler.com entitled, 'Build a better Dana 30' which I'm gonna read in a minute, prolly shoulda read it first then posted. Thanks in advance fellas.

-Peter

Last edited:
A couple of things:
1. If you aren't lifting it or putting bigger tires on it, you probably won't break anything / need to beef anything up.
2. Locking hubs are already built into the front axle, stock. Other folks will chime in with more knowledge here but the hubs are locked when you put it in 4wd - they lock in to place and engage to the drive (flange? the part with the wheel studs / bolts, anyway) to provide power to the front wheels.
3. Are you sure you want / need ARB lockers on your rig? it doesn't sound like you plan on 'wheeling it heavily, since you don't plan on lifting it.

I would encourage you to use the "search" feature, read as much as you can and to take a serious look at what you want to do with your jeep and what you need from it. You might be just fine leaving it alone, take it out on the dirt roads to go camping (or whatever) and getting milk, eggs and bread with it. It doesn't need any reinforcement to do those things.

Cherokee's do not have any kind of locking hub,the axle shafts are driven all the time,just not the TC!
X million on just sitting back for awhile and learning.

Ok in the 00 your d30 is low pinion and has the larger u-joints so most of the stuff you’re going to read on the internet doesn’t really apply to your 30. For the most basic purposes it’s a dana44 w/ a weaker ring and pinion. Unless you’re going bigger than 33s locked or jumping it I wouldn’t worry about the front axle.
Personally first Id tell you to get a full set of trail tools and spare parts.
Then up grade the rear d35 with a 44 or 8.25 first thing. Then upgrade steering, shocks, wheels, tires, battery, armor (sliders, bumpers, etc), lockers, etc...

Stay away from locking hub kits for a d-30 its pollishing a turd, once a 30 always a 30.

Back