• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Shoehorn - M90 into a 4.0L

Yeah, getting packed with snow wouldn't worry me at all, if anything it would make it a more efficient cooler, only way to be more efficient would be to run liquid water through the fins to get better contact. Mud, on the other hand... not so much.

Im guessing the odds of a lifted rig in Colorado getting into enough mud to plug a factory skid mounted intercooler are pretty slim.....

Holy Progress Batman..

I put the newly finished mount and compressor in to soothe my paranoia that my measurements for the mounting locations were horribly off. Thankfully I got it right, and the compressor is completely within the tolerance of the adjustments that I build into the mounts.

Admittedly, it does get very close to a pinch seam over the fender well, so that will need some massaging to ensure it doesn't hit..

This is the general idea of where the compressor frame crossbar is going to sit that will attach to another bracket I'm going to make that will tie into the motor mount bolt directly below it.

^^ Is that comment directed at me Sir? If so, I accept the appellation. I freely admit to being a tad retentive when it comes to my engine bays. I mean, look at how dirty mine is these days.

The underside of the hood is actually dirty...

OK, OK, more than a tad...

Sheesh...

At any rate, this installation is looking stellar. This is a first, as far as I am aware, for installing the T-Bird Compressor into an XJ. It is also a first to locating it in this fashion. What is going to be nice is that it will all fit under the stock hood.

And, IMO, that has value in and of itself. A little Stealth never hurts.

I would be inclined to give that pinch seam a little "positional persuasion" as that bolt will strike it under torque load. If a button head bolt would fit, that would gain some clearance. Maybe, enough.

One could raise the engine mount on that side with a spacer but, that creates other issues.

No pictures, but got the FIC installed today. It's enabled and running but all runtime modifications are set to zero. I'm actually happier starting with this than with dropping it in when I turn on the supercharger since I know exactly what I'll be modifying.

I did put in the MAF intercept (It's actually modifying the stock MAP) because I'd rather have the option to modify if I even need to. Later I can log the difference between the MAP the PCM is seeing pre-compressor and the MAP the FIC is seeing post-compressor. Based on feedback from others that the O2 modification isn't terribly effective I did not hook them up.

Yes. I am running an AEM wideband AFR gauge. The FIC has a built in provision to read the 5V aux gauge output from the AFR. It doesn't really do anything with it natively, but it allows me to log the data.

One of the advantages of using all AEM components is the issue of compatibility. An AFR gauge is required in order to tune a supercharged vehicle and I can say, from experience, it is beyond nice to have the data on the laptop screen.

You can use anyone's wideband but, you have to load in a "calibration table" to make it compatible. IMO, far and away easier to just stick with one manufacturers product.

SolarBell and I will have nearly identical AEM hardware. He is running the F/IC6 and I elected to run the F/IC8.

Getting close now...

Disclaimer: For those with Thunderbird SC's, the following pictures may be disturbing. Viewer discretion is advised. :)

I modified the original intake manifold for the M90, which has the bypass valve integrated so it saves me a bunch of time. I will be attaching a small 90* elbow directly above the manifold, which will put the throttle body in the horizontal position that I'm looking for. Space is still a concern, I can cut off another 1/2" or so if I need to lower the throttle body.

I believe the one on the right is what is known as an MX150 connector but am not sure.

The left one is fairly standard, it is a junior power timer connector. Measure the pin to pin spacing before ordering but it is probably a 5mm or 5.08mm one iirc. I have one at work that I can check the part number for in a bit. The germans loooooove these, many older BMWs use basically nothing else under the hood.

Both are available through most online electronic component houses.

The one on the left (the Venom injector) is an Bosch EV-1 "Jetronic" connector style. The one on the right (stock out of my rig) is a Bosch EV-6 "USCAR" connector style.

I have the choice of buying adapters from one connector to the other for $10 each, or replacing the connectors with the other style for $6.50 each. Combine that with a number of my current connectors having broken clips and the decision is pretty easy.

Last edited:
Bosch may call it an EV-1 style Jetronic connector, but it is definitely a Junior Power Timer connector as well ;) I'm guessing they call their connector that to avoid patent/trademark issues. I checked online and a few sellers on ebay helpfully list their connectors with both names in the listing title, too.

I am holding a housing for one in my hand right now, brand new, AMP part number 827551-3, Digikey catalog number A106202-ND. That will also fit, say, the cam position sensor for a 95-97 Ford Contour with the 4cyl Zetec engine (and thousands of other sensors and parts, they're used EVERYWHERE.)

I'm completely wrong on the MX150 guess though, they have the polarizing tabs in different spots. So I've got no idea what other manufacturers call an EV6 connector. They are apparently also nicknamed a "GM/Delphi Packard connector" though which means it's probably somewhere in the Delphi connectors catalog somewhere for far cheaper than you can find them listed as EV6s. The markup on connectors bought from the actual manufacturer and sold as auto parts is insane.

Back