• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Shoehorn - M90 into a 4.0L

Doing stuff like that to myself far too often is why I bought a pack of sterile sutures on amazon and learned how to use them (and appropriate disinfectants, of course.)

Got tired of paying $1500+ ER bills for a couple stitches, and dealing with my insurance was like pulling teeth.

WOW. That is an almost exact match for what I did except... I cut the flap completely off. Good to know I am not the only one out there.

i was binding a mockup of a user manual to show a client and while I had the pages clamped down to trim the edges my finger got a little too close to the edge of the ruler. my wife thought I was yelling because it hurt but I just wanted her to get me something to keep blood from getting on the project :gee:

OK, Now that we have hashed out our lunacy for the world to see....

Let's get back to the important thing. This build.

I must say that I am enjoying watching this "youngster" develop this installation. It is, somewhat, unusual these days to see this kind of dedication to getting it right the first time.

For what it is worth to you guys, SolarBell has my full support including parts to be modified to fit.

This really has potential guys.

Less "oops" and more boost tech, please.

At least I know what to buy you goobers for your birthdays.........

14019797-origpic-69b6f5.jpg

really_190.jpg

Last edited:
Been looking for a replacement for my M90 snout since I found it was cracked. I had found a guy who could custom machine one to the correct length from a GM 3800 M90, but that was going to be a little steep and require me to make a whole new mounting bracket. Of all the coincidences, an old friend of mine is big in the Thunderbird SC enthusiasts. There is a rather good trade among those people in the exact supercharger I have. He helped me locate a guy in Florida with a NOS snout that will bolt right onto my supercharger to replace the cracked one. I should hopefully have that in hand this week and be able to start mocking up the supercharging mounting.

That is awesome, Doug!

Did you ask for pictures? ;)

Actually, the thing looks like it should be in a show room as it a NOS part like the Jaguar M90 compressor I picked up.

Or, perhaps, a museum of Fine Art. It is simply gorgeous...

Got the NOS snout in the mail today. Looks great, not a tool mark on it. However I noticed that it is extremely stiff to turn. I suspect it is due to sitting open in Florida air for many years, but not sure. I'm going to add some oil and see if it loosens up. If all else fails, at least I have the refresh kit to swap the bearings out again.

Made some good progress today. I was hoping to clean up the garage but decided to actually get something done instead.

Got my M90 completely cleaned up and put beck together. NOS snout, new tail bearings and a 3.1" 6-rib pulley.

Replaced my A/C compressor bracket with one that didn't have a broken bolt in it and started test fitting the mount. Quickly found out that my attempts at clearancing for the A/C compressor were a good start, but nowhere near enough. A bunch of cutting and grinding later, the A/C compressor fit.

Then I cut off the front stock coolant overflow mount and redrilled the electrical box front mount to move the electrical box 1/2" closer to the fender. I was test fitting the final supercharger and found that I didn't have the clearance I needed on one corner, so I cut the corner out and welded a new piece back in.

It fits!

Next is to work on the supercharger mounting bracket. I got out the laser belt alignment tool and started figuring out where everything will actually go. The front bolt will land differently than I thought which will make things a touch more interesting, but it will work.

I've been working on something else related to this project as well, but not nearly as visually exciting.

The rest of that one will stay under wraps for now. ;)

looking good so far, can't wait to see this thing run!

I have some guesses as to what goes in that socket, why there are 6 3 pin connectors, and why those resistors are next to those shorting jumpers. ;)

I don't see nearly enough low side drivers (3 or 6 required) for what I was hoping to see, though... :anon:

Well done, without even looking at the back of the board I can tell you put some real thought into layout before setting anything in stone.

I've been working on something else related to this project as well, but not nearly as visually exciting.

The rest of that one will stay under wraps for now. ;)

That's an AVR-P20 board similar to this one https://www.olimex.com/Products/AVR/Proto/AVR-P28-8MHz/

the socket in the middle looks like you are going to put an Amtel ATmega8 into and use for an arudino type project, without seeing the underside of the board, I have no idea what you are trying to do.

One thing I did forget to mention. The new pulley is a good bit smaller than the one that came off, probably about .3" smaller. Hope my calculations are correct.

If we look at it... The compressor came off of a 3.8L engine. That makes the 4.0L engine 5.63% larger in displacement. Compressor performance is pretty linear so, if the running boost pressure of the T-Bird is known, then the desired operating boost can be calculates which I know you have done.

Just like when we calculated that the Jag compressor we have would require a larger pulley to hold 8 pounds of boost. Supercharger performance is, IMO, much easier to calculate than Turbocharger performance.

Back