• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Shoehorn - M90 into a 4.0L

Since the bypass valve on the intake manifold I was working with is not going to work since the vacuum motor doesn't fit, I ordered a new one. Pretty..

I also decided that due to all the gyrations needed to alter the existing intake manifold, I am going to fabricate an entirely new intake manifold out of square aluminum tubing. It will make it simpler in the end.

Your patience is inspiring. I'd have been driving a hack job by now. Not bragging by any means - honestly, I strive towards the patience and attention to detail you are showing here.
I mean, building an intake manifold to get it done right? Damn.
I can't help but wonder if a stroker or a v8 swap could get you to the desired power levels quicker / easier but this is a gorgeous project you have going.

IMO, Sprintex makes some of the best functioning/looking parts out there. Everything is well thought out but then, what else would be expected from a Company that has International sales...

SolarBell, I suggest either make a paper gasket (which is what is in my Heep) or use an anaerobic sealant on this part. Of the two choices, I would go with a paper gasket. Then again, I am old school...

There is a lot of discussion on which is better, Doing the V8 swap or adding a Supercharger. If there were commercially available kits out there (currently very limited, but that may well change in the near future...) then bolting in a Supercharger is a matter of just a few hours of simple work as opposed to tens of hours of work to install the V8. A simple F/IC can be used to control the fuel and ignition changes required whereas on the V8, the PCM must be replaced.

I will freely admit that I am a proponent of Forced Induction. Have been for decades. To the discussion of which is better, a Supercharger or a Turbocharger, I will say that for our application where we have a need for low end grunt, the Supercharger makes a tad more sense. For a road car, a Turbocharger is better, IMO.

The manifold in question here is for the compressor, the engine side will be using a modified stock intake. This is a point of confusion as there will be two intake manifolds on his Jeep.

Last edited:
There is a lot of discussion on which is better, Doing the V8 swap or adding a Supercharger. If there were commercially available kits out there (currently very limited, but that may well change in the near future...).
I will patiently wait!!

Great job so far SolarBell
:thumbup:

There is a lot of discussion on which is better, Doing the V8 swap or adding a Supercharger.
What about a stroker + supercharger? Personally, if I didn't already have a stroker and didn't have so much in it I would do a V8... more aftermarket support.

I think selected V8 swaps in the XJ are like the 8.25 axle - previously though to be only for the crazy, but now people are realizing they are viable so the aftermarket support is starting to pick up. I'm so far into it now I'm not changing direction. Plus my doing this has opened up a bunch of opportunities I never would have had so I'm not complaining. Compared to a kit I'm still only into this for around $2k, which is still cheaper than a stroker built by someone else.

Oh yeah, something for reference so even I don't forget. The stock belt is a Dayco 5060950. The third digit is the number of ribs, the three digits following that are the nominal length. So the stock belt is 95" long (technically 95.8"). I am going to get a 100" belt for starters to see if it fits.

did you have any luck clearing the hood fitment issue?

Not yet. Was traveling for work all week, and my wife's car needed its 90k service, so that took up all of today. I'm working on the new compressor intake manifold right now, then on to re-routing the charge air pipe. I have to order some more silicone fittings as well since the new bypass assembly is a different size.

What about a stroker + supercharger? Personally, if I didn't already have a stroker and didn't have so much in it I would do a V8... more aftermarket support.

If I had the resources still, I would put together a low compression stroker in the 4.7 Litre range and bolt up a supercharger onto it.

From a personal point of view, I prefer the I-6 to a V-8 on general purposes.

Our engine is a 7 main and as such, is capable of generating considerably more power than the Factory turned loose. What I think should be kept in mind is that the Factory has other issues to contend with besides raw power.

What I can say about all of the support issues for the Supercharger is that I am digging into the PCM. I have the hardware/software required to flash the PCM and have already altered my transmissions shift points.

There is a line in the code that asks the question:
Aspiration Type

This is the Forced Induction Switch. I am in line to take a class on the Chrysler PCM programming so...

Once I have that class under my belt, it may be possible to eliminate the F/IC altogether. It is a certainty that it can be eliminated for a Stroked engine... Currently, no date on when the class is to be held.

There is some fun to be had here folks.

Not yet. Was traveling for work all week, and my wife's car needed its 90k service, so that took up all of today. I'm working on the new compressor intake manifold right now, then on to re-routing the charge air pipe. I have to order some more silicone fittings as well since the new bypass assembly is a different size.

I am in the process of removing the skin from a spare hood so that the frame can be placed onto SolarBell's Heep. This will allow him to see exactly where the interference points are and exactly how much clearance is available to him.

This is yet again, an Old School solution...

Made up my mind today. There is a group trip on another form I am on for April 12. My goal is to have this whole thing done by then. That will give me two weeks off further tuning before I tow the camper to Moab at the end of April.

O-Gauge Steamer said:
Once I have that class under my belt, it may be possible to eliminate the F/IC altogether. It is a certainty that it can be eliminated for a Stroked engine... Currently, no date on when the class is to be held.
Now, that IS interesting.

Made up my mind today. There is a group trip on another form I am on for April 12. My goal is to have this whole thing done by then. That will give me two weeks off further tuning before I tow the camper to Moab at the end of April.
Sounds like you need to brew some coffee.

Finally some more progress to talk about after dealing with non-supercharger issues last week.

I cut down the supercharger output to help with the height issues. I was concerned about the fitting sealing around the threads anyway.

Yesterday after taking a ton of measurements if I ever need to reproduce a bracket, I got the compressor installed (hopefully) for good.

It worked out really well. There was enough slack and travel in the stock tensioner that I was able to wrap the belt around the new idler pulley and keep it all together until I'm ready to engage the compressor.

Back