• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Shoehorn - M90 into a 4.0L

I'm a little excited today. Thanks to papasmurf, most of my machined parts are in my hands.

First up is a piece of 1" solid bar machined to be the new idler pulley mount. Lots of extra bar hanging off the end because I don't know yet exactly where it will be going so I'm keeping my options open.

Next is what will the the main mount for the supercharger and the idler pulley. This will be welded into one solid piece and then bolted in between the A/C compressor and the A/C compressor mount.

And the one I the most excited about - the intake adapter. This is a full 70mm inside diameter and will fit all 3" tubing and adapters. You can see how much bigger the inside diameter is than the stock opening, which I will have to port to fit.

I also got a mounting plate for the supercharger, but it's going to need some modifications because of what I need to get done on my supercharger itself.

If anyone is interested in getting similar parts made for a project, let me know. This was all done on a CNC so it can be replicated easily.

I am beyond impressed with the quality of what is going on here. Due Diligence Gentlemen. That is what we are seeing. Time is being taken so that mistakes are not made.

Finally, the holidays are over and I made some time to get some stuff done.

I finished porting the intake manifold to allow for the larger volume. I also drilled and re-tapped one of the two threaded sensor ports to 3/8" NPT to allow for the AEM IAT sensor so I can monitor my discharge temperatures. Now it just needs a good cleaning and it's ready to go. The two large vacuum ports will be capped, the smaller ports will be used for the FIC MAP sensor and the supercharger bypass valve.

I also finished welding (inside and outside) and modifying the supercharger mounting bracket. I cut out a slot to allow clearance for the A/C compressor as it was closer to the bracket with the housing than I liked. I also picked up new bolts for the A/C compressor that are 5mm longer to account for the extra mounting thickness. I don't want to compromise the threads. You can see how the mounting bracket fits on the A/C mount.

I also started on the throttle body modifications. I remove the throttle cable plate from the XJ throttle body and cleaned it up. I even was able to get it cleanly off and save the slot for positioning.

Turns out I have to order some super-long tips for my snap ring pliers, as the ones I have don't reach nearly deep enough to free the shaft in the WJ throttle body.

However progress was stopped due to a fluid leak resulting from an errant screwdriver while removing the WJ throttle plate connections. Bad screwdriver.

However progress was stopped due to a fluid leak resulting from an errant screwdriver while removing the WJ throttle plate connections.
Fluid leak? meh, its just marking its territory...

Could be worse, a guy on the model car forum I frequent recently sat on his X-Act knife while trying to find it after it went AWOL.............he found it!

Also ended up with a few stitches in the ass for his efforts:moon:

In my days as a Graphic Artist, I was cutting a mask using a number 11 scalpel and a triangle as the cutting guide. Someone called my name and, being the idiot that I am, I looked up without stopping the cut....................................

My left pointer finger rolled just over the edge of the triangle just as the scalpel went by.

Afterward, we removed the piece of my finger and tossed it away.

This was in 1974 and the scar is still visible today.

This was a case of too much blood in a project as it scrapped the material...

Funny thing is, as it was a brand new blade, I did not feel the cut at all.

Notice the puddle though.

In my days as a Graphic Artist, I was cutting a mask using a number 11 scalpel and a triangle as the cutting guide. Someone called my name and, being the idiot that I am, I looked up without stopping the cut....................................

My left pointer finger rolled just over the edge of the triangle just as the scalpel went by.
Had that happen at work twice.

In my days as a Graphic Artist, I was cutting a mask using a number 11 scalpel and a triangle as the cutting guide. Someone called my name and, being the idiot that I am, I looked up without stopping the cut...

same line of work, same thing here ;) more than once though, I end up doing this about once every 6-8 months :(

37398_1410283070765_336829_n.jpg

I once, feeling hasty, adjusted the guard on a still moving (but "off") grinder.
My finger healed eventually and now I treat saws, grinders, the drill press, etc with the respect of a loaded firearm.
Not quite the same though.

Back