• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Shoehorn - M90 into a 4.0L

Small setback today. Hypoid found a stress fracture in the supercharger snout while he was helping me press new bearings into it. Decided to take it apart again and find someone who can TIG the aluminum so it doesn't grenade on me later.

Here's a fun game. Name all of the things you can find wrong in the following two pictures :)

So if anyone knows of a 6.75" M90 snout in decent shape let me know.

On the brighter side, I finally got my hands on a 68mm WJ throttle body.

I can see the cracks in the first pic, is that it?

I'll give you a hint - look at the thickness of the housing walls going around. You can even compare it to the thickness of the inner lip.

I see what you are saying now...

That housing was doomed when it was made over 20 years ago. If I had gotten this new I would have immediately rejected it and asked for a replacement. The final outer bore was milled about 1/16" off center. As a result the snout drive shaft was not running true, and on examination I can find matching wear patterns on the shaft where it was running at an angle and rubbing against the inner bearing race. If you look really closely the bore is slightly out of round from the offset pressure. There are 2 visible cracks, and probably half a dozen more I can't see. I am now the proud owner of a precision Eaton paperweight.

Anyone know of someone with a Gen 3 M90 that is looking to sell it or part it out?

Last edited:
So, the TB then...

Use the XJ linkage I gave you, the XJ TPS and the XJ IAC stepper motor with the WJ pintle (it is longer...) and you will be good to go!

If you want to spot weld the linkage onto the existing WJ linkage, drop by and we can fire up my welder!

On the WJ TB, if you use the XJ linkage where is the throttle stop? IIRC the WJ stop will be in the way.

Yep, not simple. XJ throttle stop is on the base, WJ throttle stop is on the top. Going to have to figure out a way to merge the two together.

Actually got some work done tonight and worked on the FIC harness. I'm going to put the unit in the cab so I have to extend the wiring. Since I pulled a full harness out of a '98 I extended the wiring with the matching color wires, so all I have to do is line up the colors. For the intercept cabling I put an extra piece of heat shrink as a marker for all the 'out' lines.

Yep, not simple. XJ throttle stop is on the base, WJ throttle stop is on the top. Going to have to figure out a way to merge the two together.
That was one of the major concerns I had when I though about using the WJ TB. WJ throttle stop is right were the throttle cable connects to the XJ lever. I'm not sure what others have done about it.

Since I pulled a full harness out of a '98 I extended the wiring with the matching color wires, so all I have to do is line up the colors. For the intercept cabling I put an extra piece of heat shrink as a marker for all the 'out' lines.

Great idea on using the other harness. I just labeled my extended harness with painter's tape and a sharpie.

One of the nice things about the AEM equipment is the harnesses. All of the wires are marked with their respective function i.e. "Number 6 injector in" and so forth. I found it a breeze to install.

As an aside here, I removed all of the unused wires from the connectors. It is either remove them, clip them close to the connector, or, coil up the unused wires. I chose to remove them pin and all.

And I am old and decreped. Oh, yah, the Wife says Senile also but what does she know...

I wish I could remember how I dealt with the throttle stop when I installed the WJ TB on my 97 stroker. That was well over 10 years ago though and things are a tad lost in the mists of time...

Would have to sit and stare at it for a bit... Was not that much of a challenge or I would remember it.

The advantage the Solarbell has for the linkage is that it does not have to perfectly align with the factory accelerator cable bracket (their name, not mine...) so a fusion of the two linkages is possible thus retaining the existing WJ throttle stop.

I do (barely) remember welding the XJ linkage onto the WJ TB so that may well be to solution. Tag the XJ onto the WJ, discarding most of the XJ linkage. Just keep the outermost portion and spot weld the two together. Perhaps a bit of grinding on the top of the throttle stop sheet metal would be in order.

Took another look at this morning. While it will make the assembly yet another 3" wider, I can remove the plastic WJ throttle cable attachment and spot-weld the entire XJ attachment bracket onto the shaft assembly. I would just have to be careful to ensure the new bracket is very straight and centered.

One other thing I found - the TPS tang on the WJ throttle body is 90* different than the XJ. I'm going to check electrically, but I will probably have to use the WJ TPS. The connectors are identical.

Found a thread on JeepsUnlimited where a guy did the same thing I'm doing. Interesting idea. Turns out that the XJ TPS can be mounted with a simple spacer and be used, despite the appearance of the shaft tang being 90* different from the outside. Mentioned something I didn't think about - the V8 WJ throttle body is designed to be mounted vertically, while the XJ throttle body is designed to be mounted horizontally. Explains a lot of the differences.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forum...Manifold-modified-Borla-header-3-quot-exhaust

image011.jpg

image012.jpg

Aren't you putting the WJ throttle body on the inlet of the compressor? I'd be tempted to just make it so the TB gets mounted horizontally and then try using a WJ throttle pedal cable. Not sure if the WJ throttle cable will work with an XJ pedal/firewall, but it's probably cheap to get at the junkyard and easy enough to test out.

Yes, yes it is. I checked and the XJ throttle control bracket would weld on perfectly with a little grinding on the WJ bracket. Now I must think about where to place it in that orientation.

Back