• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Olive Drab

How well is the paint holding up to the elements? I am looking at the Gillespie paints for my Suburban project, but since it's outside all the time I worry about durability. ( and it's kind of big to repaint every few years!)
I must say I really like the look of your rig!

How well is the paint holding up to the elements? I am looking at the Gillespie paints for my Suburban project, but since it's outside all the time I worry about durability. ( and it's kind of big to repaint every few years!)

I used Gillespie OD paint on my CJ-8 that I sold last year. I guess I sold it about 10-11 years after I painted it. I didn't know what type of reducer to use, it was well before the interenet was big and info was hard to find. It was tacky for about 2 days after I painted it. The paint held up GREAT, it probably spent about 3 night OUT of the weather and I probably washed it 5 times . It was super tough, never peeled off or anything. I used some type of Dupont reducer and hardener. I didn't have a fresh air system and I felt kinds shetty after painting it(fumes where bad). Remember, a paint job is only as good as the prep work. I had the Jeep down to bare metal, variprimed, it, primers surfacer, the the OD paint. I have 2 gallons in my basement right now.

I used Gillespie OD paint on my CJ-8 that I sold last year. I guess I sold it about 10-11 years after I painted it. I didn't know what type of reducer to use, it was well before the interenet was big and info was hard to find. It was tacky for about 2 days after I painted it. The paint held up GREAT, it probably spent about 3 night OUT of the weather and I probably washed it 5 times . It was super tough, never peeled off or anything. I used some type of Dupont reducer and hardener. I didn't have a fresh air system and I felt kinds shetty after painting it(fumes where bad). Remember, a paint job is only as good as the prep work. I had the Jeep down to bare metal, variprimed, it, primers surfacer, the the OD paint. I have 2 gallons in my basement right now.

For future reference. Gillespie is a synthetic enamel and needs a reducer for such. NAPA had the reducer i needed.

My Jeep was painted in the morning, heaters turned on for two hours while Stroker and i went and had lunch. Drove it home and had a VERY hard and heavy rain that evening... no problems.

For future reference. Gillespie is a synthetic enamel and needs a reducer for such. NAPA had the reducer i needed.

My Jeep was painted in the morning, heaters turned on for two hours while Stroker and i went and had lunch. Drove it home and had a VERY hard and heavy rain that evening... no problems.

I used a synthetic reducer and hardener, guess I didn't use enough. It was late October and wasn't the ideal temperature to paint in. I know it should have dried much quicker than it did but it turned out great in the end.

maybe i missed it, but how much paint did you use on the XJ?

also, my paint is chipping and spotting badly. ill prob end up sanding to bare metal. what primer is recommended?

Got a few things bolted back on yesterday. I'll paint the bumpers next weekend, rained heavy here yesterday and i'm currently DD'n this.

I'll be ordering 33x10.5 BFG MT's this week as well.

wwinchinstalled001.jpg

xjreassembly2004.jpg

where did you get the overland logos thats sick:thumbup::thumbup:

also, my paint is chipping and spotting badly. ill prob end up sanding to bare metal. what primer is recommended?

I've not yet painted an entire XJ - I'd like to see a response on that as well. For the primer, I use a lacquer based primer. I've used that under enamels, polyurethanes, epoxys, etc, never had an issue. It goes down easily, sands out nice and flat and gives you some build to take out minor imperfections. Let it flash the thinners out before you sand it, and give it a few hours in the sun before top coat - I was in a hurry on my last project and the thinners came out through the base/clear, looks like the incredible Hulk (dark green too).

Mark

5 coats used a bit under a gallon of paint. 3/4 maybe.. i'd have to open the container to check but it's in that area.

NAC member hooked me up with one, got another from a partout. I have seen new ones on ebay as well.

I've not yet painted an entire XJ - I'd like to see a response on that as well. For the primer, I use a lacquer based primer. I've used that under enamels, polyurethanes, epoxys, etc, never had an issue. It goes down easily, sands out nice and flat and gives you some build to take out minor imperfections. Let it flash the thinners out before you sand it, and give it a few hours in the sun before top coat - I was in a hurry on my last project and the thinners came out through the base/clear, looks like the incredible Hulk (dark green too).

Mark

I DA'd the entire rig and took off the clearcoat, used regular rustoleum primer for the few areas of body filler and where i sanded to metal. No problems whatsoever in several years now.

I used a synthetic reducer and hardener, guess I didn't use enough. It was late October and wasn't the ideal temperature to paint in. I know it should have dried much quicker than it did but it turned out great in the end.

I used no hardener, perhaps that was the issue. AJP advised me against it..

5 coats used a bit under a gallon of paint. 3/4 maybe.. i'd have to open the container to check but it's in that area.

sounds good. This will be my first auto painting project so i am unfamiliar with the goods and techniques. Im just gonna get a spray gun from HF and test it out. thanks much.

Kinda looks like ones that came on '02-'04 WJ Overlands, I never looked at one real close but it looks pretty close to them if it's not.

Finishing up the floor on pass side today, i seem to be having better results in the warmer temps.

I searched and didnt find anything... where can i get a good deal on seamsealer? Or can i use a cheaper more readily available product?

Thanks for the guidance guys. I'll have to find someplace that carries it.

I would expect this stuff to seal well over a few small burnthroughs from the welder? :sad1:

Back