• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Olive Drab

ooooops..

ZJstance.jpg
BUMP.. Any idea on if this is a Homebrew Winchmount.. or a source for more info?

Kinda reminds me of the Detours Backbone system (yes, I saw you said it's home-brew).

Well it looks as though the ZJ project has lost steam. I have the 98 about ready for the road minus a few new items like carpet and tires, but i think the wife is going to take it over.

In the meantime i'm going to keep the XJ for a bit longer and see what comes up, i think i might like a Scrambler if the right project comes along.

So, i started working on the Jeep again. About 5 years ago i patched a few small holes on pass front floor above exhaust, now it needs patches along the inner rockerpanel. So instead of more patches i'v started cutting it all out and am making my own pans. I have never done this before so i'm learning as i go, i think i have it figured out pretty good. Tomorrow i start trimming and tacking the pan in. Then i'll tackle the drivers side.

Also picked up the bearing and seal kits for the rear D44 axleshafts. Foothill Offroad on ebay had a good price on Timken kits.

I had also done quite a bit of maintenance last summer in prep for a trip west, that got cancelled. Complete fluids, brakes, rebuilt transfercase and the like.

xjfloor1.jpg

The 18 gauge sheet i picked up and bent.

xjfloor3.jpg

Also, i got to really hate the steelies and threw on a set of ZJ Canyons i had lying around. Sold the rear bumper to a good guy when i figured this rig was getting parted. As she sits now.

currentxj3-1.jpg

What did you hate about the steel rims? My 97 needs paint, I'm looking at the flat OD with black trim - it's already green, won't even have to change the registration.... Your still looks good!

What did you hate about the steel rims? My 97 needs paint, I'm looking at the flat OD with black trim - it's already green, won't even have to change the registration.... Your still looks good!

Just the look of them. 10 years and the fact that they are everywhere anymore.. wanted something different. The fact i shaved some weight off the rig was a plus..

Forming floor pans bring the suck! I should have just bought the stamped pans from Raybuck or Q-Tech and saved alot of time.

This wont be pretty when done i'm sure.

1231101641.jpg

Progress is very slow, working in driveway between snowfalls and bitter cold days. I warned you this wasnt gonna be pretty but it will be solid, just need to improve on the welding... i had no experience prior to this and wanted to learn instead of having a bud basically do it for me.

I found the hitch ball was a help in shaping the upper left corner along with the ballpeen, but then the seam gets wavy. I have the inner rocker tacked as well, once i get it tacked to firewall well i'll finish it.

Welders, feel free to critique and/or advise. :eyes:

XJfloor001.jpg

XJfloor002.jpg

XJfloor003.jpg

Those welds aren't all that pretty but I can't really throw stones there I guess...

You can get sheetmetal dollies and similar equipment at harbor freight for cheap. I don't like their quality on many things, but it's hard to get a sheetmetal dolly wrong.

Also, I usually pound sheetmetal against a block of hardwood instead of another piece of metal, it has enough "give" that it doesn't dimple the metal so much.

Looks fine to me. It's more structurly solid than it was. One thing that I'll suggest is get some fiberglassing stuff and go over all the seems inside and out with it. That way there you dont have to worry about the welds being perfectly sealed. that's how I did my rear cargo floors the second time around because I did it mickey mouse the first time.

Those welds aren't all that pretty but I can't really throw stones there I guess...

You can get sheetmetal dollies and similar equipment at harbor freight for cheap. I don't like their quality on many things, but it's hard to get a sheetmetal dolly wrong.

Also, I usually pound sheetmetal against a block of hardwood instead of another piece of metal, it has enough "give" that it doesn't dimple the metal so much.

My welds are much better on the scrap pieces i practiced on, and set the welder to. I had good penetration and better beads. But i'm doing alot of tacks on the actual pan and connecting them. I'm sure in time i'll get better.

Yeah, i could use some dolly's and a body hammer i guess.

Looks fine to me. It's more structurly solid than it was. One thing that I'll suggest is get some fiberglassing stuff and go over all the seems inside and out with it. That way there you dont have to worry about the welds being perfectly sealed. that's how I did my rear cargo floors the second time around because I did it mickey mouse the first time.

I was thinking i could lay some seam sealer over the weld if i needed to.

oh... I put a lot more spot welds on mine, also. I probably went way overkill though, I did a weld every 3/4" to 1".

I was thinking i could lay some seam sealer over the weld if i needed to.
I was going to do the same but I just didnt want the fat bead of poop on my floor. I knew it would get folded over, kicked, ect until it peeled off and leaked. The fiberglass resin lays down with no real edges and is also even more structure. Neither one is wrong, just more options.

If someone wants to copy this it's simply two GI pup-tent halves...

It started to rain as i set this up the other day so i didnt show how it can be setup with two more poles on the side, and some material at far end that can be guy roped to block sun/wind etc. I'll update the pics eventually.

I bought two new GI puptent halves for $15 and used it as my awning.

Spill the beans, what's your idea?! :laugh:

Where did you get the milspec canvas at, and how much was it? I have an idea for my xj!

My idea was cool different headliner/shade combo! basicly just a headliner with alot of extra material on the end for a shade that i can roll up and hang at the rear of the jeep when not in use.

Back