• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project MixNMatch aka MallCrawler

So i haven't updated this for a while, mainly because I haven't had any time to work on the Jeep. The pile of parts is growing again, and I am hoping to get a couple days in the shop before we close on the house and I get tied up moving.

The Pile-O-Parts to install before WF is:

Roof sliders.
Front Bumper.
Winch.
Hitch (this may actually get put on in the parking lot :shhh:)
Re-do rear shocks.
Front bumpstops.
Rock rails.
Front/t'case/gas tank skids.
CB.
Fire extinguisher.
Balance tires.
Figure out drivetrain vibration.

If I can get all that done, the tow rig needs attention before I tow with it. If not we will be driving the XJ.

Got some work done last night. I had already removed the air dam and trimmed the flares to match, so here is what I started with:

C62F3566-719E-44F8-91C0-4A414EEEC878_zpslv9faasa.jpg

Pulled the front bumper with no problems and trimmed the fenders & flares up to the header panel.

732A1425-3891-44AE-8DC9-F86B344E68E3_zpsofjbrzlx.jpg

After several hours of work and being interrupted twice to run the wrecker I finished up with this:

B6F9BADA-E354-46C5-984A-4BAB8CFD2702_zpsvwuv5u6m.jpg

D34BCC96-997A-4BB8-96D8-38053A89334F_zps3yydjifx.jpg

I was able to retain the inner fender liner and stock flare brackets. If the bumper looks like it's leaning down a bit, it is. Today's Protip - if someone says they 'custom fabricated' something for the vehicle it was on, that means it won't fit worth a crap on a different vehicle. I literally had to hammer the bumper on to get the holes to line up. Oh well, it's on.

Only downside; the MileMarker winch is probably going to have to go. This bumper was made to fit a Smittybilt 8k winch, and I think the channel is going to be too narrow for the hydro winch and all the lines.

I also fixed the rear shock problem by removing the BPEs and putting the bar pins in the DT3k shocks. I should have enough travel now that the bumps will hit before I send the shocks through the floor.

I spied this at the Jeep junkyard Friday when I picked up a hitch; they said it was being held till the end of the day. Went back this morning, it was still there. Scored it for $150.

Needs a clutch lever and remote plug-in repaired, but otherwise works fine. As far as I can tell it's a M8000, haven't ran the serial # yet. It may be installed before WF if I get the rest of my list completed.

7atahy7u.jpg

Warn is closed for President's Day, I'll have to confirm the model tomorrow.

I might bring it Saturday, but it would be a bumper ornament only unless I can track down a new 5 pin remote plug ASAP. The clutch lever would be easier to replace off the jeep anyway.

Warn is closed for President's Day, I'll have to confirm the model tomorrow.

I might bring it Saturday, but it would be a bumper ornament only unless I can track down a new 5 pin remote plug ASAP. The clutch lever would be easier to replace off the jeep anyway.

How about a 5 pin or 6 pin RV plug? Sticking to factory parts may be nice but I bet a small T-handle style RV plug would be great.

Identify a warn service center from their page. They always pawn there service to their network from what I remember.

WARN Service Linky

Big 'warn parts never come from warn' Hank

This^

Ram" Long pulls with the 8,000 make me wish I had a 12,000"Rod

Brian, I'll take it.

Anybody know if a motor swap would make it a M8000? May be cheaper in the long run to rebuild it as a 8k winch.

Researched this a bit... the M6000 and M8000 are identical with the exception of the gear ratio. M6000 is 156:1 while the M8000 is 210:1. Line speed will be faster with the M6000, otherwise they run the same motor and whatnot. I am going to run it for now, maybe upgrade in the future. For the wheeling I do and the way the Jeep is built it will be just fine. Probably won't be used more than a handful of times a year. I already have a ZJ alternator to swap in, will need to upgrade battery down the road.

Being a Warn and not a Chinese winch it should be plenty stout and reliable. Plan is to fix the wiring issue and mount it up for WF. I can swap the clutch lever later on, just have to power it in and out for now.

Just need a big 'ol Warn decal for the windshield :D

Researched this a bit... the M6000 and M8000 are identical with the exception of the gear ratio. M6000 is 156:1 while the M8000 is 210:1. Line speed will be faster with the M6000, otherwise they run the same motor and whatnot. I am going to run it for now, maybe upgrade in the future. For the wheeling I do and the way the Jeep is built it will be just fine. Probably won't be used more than a handful of times a year. I already have a ZJ alternator to swap in, will need to upgrade battery down the road.

Being a Warn and not a Chinese winch it should be plenty stout and reliable. Plan is to fix the wiring issue and mount it up for WF. I can swap the clutch lever later on, just have to power it in and out for now.

Just need a big 'ol Warn decal for the windshield :D

That's interesting, funny that the M6000 is more expensive than the M8000, and it's just a different gear set. Worst case if you are in deep then you will stall it out, but in that situation an 8000# might do the same thing.

You might already know this, but powering out a winch goes against the automatic brake and they get very hot, so you only want to do that for short periods of time if you can. That's the official word, maybe in reality it's less of a big deal than they make it.

Installed the hitch last night, weird how things bolt right up when they're made right.

Just pulled up to Pat's shop, stay tuned for more...

Back