• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powerstroke tuner....yeah baby!!

OneTonXJ said:
Because ya can't hardly see the #'s on the screen, especially if you're as old as Goat :wave:

I'm playin' it safe by buying the gauges first. When I picked up my truck the guy had a superchips tuner he was trying to sell me. We put it on the high performance setting and WHOA, it was like driving my 1/2T with no load.

I haven't decided what to do about exhaust yet. I may just cheap out and cut out the muffler for a while. I'm sure you're on thedieselstop.com, if not you should be.

Hey Sean, what truck did you get?

I've looked on thedieselstop.com but I spend most of my time on FTE, Ford Truck Enthusiasts.....ford-trucks.com.

Just put on the Tymar intake, a pretty good deal, really. A nice big Donaldson truck filter and the hardware to hook it up, all for $110. Also eliminates the possibility of dirt leaking past the factory airbox.

I picked up a 2000 Crewcab, longbed, 4x, Lariat w/capt's chairs. Man this thing rides nice, especially for a 1T.

That's a good deal on the intake. I think I'm going to make an adapter for the intake tube and go buy a cone filter.

I've got a gooseneck in the bed, now I just need to blow $7K on the trailer so I can haul 3 jeeps :laugh3:

I haven't been to FTE, I'll have to check it out.

Last edited:
I'm on FTE as well. They've got a really good ROBS section.

CRASH

Goatman , Get the tru-cool tranny cooler to replace the factory unit. Dropped the temps big time. I put in 3 pod unit from Diesel Manor with the Isspro gauges. Easy install, make sure to put pyro preturbo. PM me if you have any questions.

OneTonXJ said:
I picked up a 2000 Crewcab, longbed, 4x, Lariat w/capt's chairs. Man this thing rides nice, especially for a 1T.

That's a good deal on the intake. I think I'm going to make an adapter for the intake tube and go buy a cone filter.

I've got a gooseneck in the bed, now I just need to blow $7K on the trailer so I can haul 3 jeeps :laugh3:

I haven't been to FTE, I'll have to check it out.

Sean, look on FTE for the Kwik filter. NAPA has a filter that is identical to the Tymar Donaldson filter I got that will bolt right up to the SD rubber intake....and it's about $40. There are a couple of threads about it with the part number.

There have been good discussions over there about the filtering capabilities of the paper verses the cone (K & N) style filters. While the cone style are good, and flow good, they don't filter quite as well as the paper elements. The only cone style that filters as well is the AFE Pro Guard 7, but it's pricey. Another great alternative is the Ford AIS, which is a great filter (and is the factory upgrade to the crappy stock unit) but the replacement filters are $100 each.....ouch! A very large paper filter seems to be the way to go.

I've seen too many dusted PSD's in our shop, so I want a good filter. Of course, the ones I've seen dusted are oilfield and farm trucks where they're in the dirt much of the time, but still, I want a good filter.

BTW, I recently rode in a friends '04 F350 Lariat Crewcab long bed dually 4x4 (lot of truck) with a 4" exhaust, AFE intake, and Edge Juice w/ Attitude, and switched on the highest power setting it broke the duallys loose punching it from 15 mph.......awesome!!

CRASH said:
I'm on FTE as well. They've got a really good ROBS section.

CRASH

Yeah, they have interesting things to say about runnng ATF, don't they. :D

I have a good friend who always puts a quart of ATF in the tank, and recommended I do the same, but I don't know. No conclusive info about the effects or benefits in the newer PSD fuel systems.

WOLFMAN said:
Goatman , Get the tru-cool tranny cooler to replace the factory unit. Dropped the temps big time. I put in 3 pod unit from Diesel Manor with the Isspro gauges. Easy install, make sure to put pyro preturbo. PM me if you have any questions.

I have a big Hayden cooler I'm going to put on......I've had it awhile, need to get around to putting it in before summer gets here (soon!). Actually, before heading to Pismo next week.

I'm going to be lazy about the guage install, and take it to a shop. Too many other projects to work on. I think I'll go with the pillar mount and Autometer guages. While electrical stuff is pretty easy, for some reason I don't like doing wiring projects and usually take it to someone to do. I'm happy to wrench and weld, but I have a mental block when it comes to wiring. :)

CRASH said:
$%*# You!

$2.61 a gallon.

Is the Appleseed up and running?

Gary E and I have been in discussions. He's got a sweet source of used ATF that he is thinking of filtering and warming to get it to burn. I think it's doable if you run it in a seperate tank with a good heat source. Run the $$$$ stuff to get going and then switch to the waste oil once everythings all warmed up.

I need to build my shed and get a couple of 200 gallon tanks. Small batches suck.

CRASH

The Appleseed is fired up and running like a champ. I'm still trying to find a reliable source for quality oil, but I'll take what I can get for now. The biggest downside is the limited capacity of the tank-- we can only make 35 gal/ batch. I've got a few 250 gal totes I'll use for storage, but I need to stop burning it so fast so that I can get some reserves built up.

Sounds like running ATF is exactly like running WVO- I wonder how the emissions compare. Be sure to switch back over to the good stuff before shutting down. I hear it's a bitch getting em started back up on oil.

I'm due for an e-test, so I'll see how clean the B100 is running this week.

-Jon

With all this Diesel and towing talk, maybe we need a new forum :)

BrettM said:
propane and nitrous? i'm no diesel expert, but i thought propane is the diesel equivalent of nitrous?
Well....Since the rock rash is gone now....

I wasn't going to respond to this thread because I hate fords...I HATE them. I would rather sit on a prickly pear cactus naked then even drive one... :D

But thats not what I wanted to say.... The only reason you would run nitrous in a diesel is if you had problems with over fueling....I.E. Black smoke.
The nitrous helps burn all the fuel which makes more power. If you have a diesel truck that doesn't smoke Nitrous will get you nowhere.

DrMoab said:
If you have a diesel truck that doesn't smoke Nitrous will get you nowhere.

I pull the flag on this one! :bs:

Nitrus may get the truck nowhere but it'll sure get you somewhere! :wierd:

seanR said:
NICE!
A guy near me pulled his EDGE out last week 2nd trans in 20,000 miles......

I have heard of a lot of trannys takin' a crap after not too many miles with those chips. They say if you drive it 1/2 way normal, you wont puke the trans, but you guys know me... My tranny wouldn't last a week. :laugh3:

Good luck and have fun, Richard.

CRASH said:
I'll say a little prayer tonight for your E40D.

CRASH

Well, here's an update on my souped up Powerstroke. I picked the truck up today from the tranny shop.......yep, it didn't make it even a 1000 miles. Was still working and shifting fine but got a trans slip code a couple of times and the fluid was heating up from the torque converter slipping. I was having a lot of fun with those full power runs through the gears with the tuner in the highest mode.......a LOT of fun. :D

$2500 got me a tranny rebuilt with the good parts....new steel planetaries, increased clutch disc count, shift kit, reworking of the pump for better fluid to the overdrive and converter, 3 disc high performance TC, plus a few other misc upgraded parts. Now I can jump on it and tow with no worries, and the trans should last the remaining life of the truck.

That gas truck sure was inexpensive........ :) :)

I guess we've been pretty lucky with the wifes "EX". The tranny's lived for close to 100,000 miles with only a deep sump pan. I don't think I've even seen the tranny temp gauge move... The EX has exhaust, intake, & Banks 6 gun tuner & the wife isn't easy on it inthe least...
BTW how'd you like the quality of the build on that Tymar intake Richard? I had to go back over every weld on mine when it came in, pretty crappy

I kinda forgot about this thread. I put my gauges in a few weeks ago. It's interesting watching the egt's go all over the place. I used to get better mileage, now I'm always trying to see if I can get the boost gauge to read a little higher :laugh3: I'm going with a 4 or 6 position chip from dp-tuner when I can afford it. I'm going to try a muffler delete when I can find a shop that will properly bend a piece of tube. I'm just not in the mood to order an entire exhaust yet. Ordered my Ford severe duty air intake yesterday, I think it will provide me with plenty of airflow to keep those egt's down when I've got 3 heeps in tow.

Lawn Cher' said:
7.3 liter, Bob. And black smoke means there is more fuel being delivered than can be burned in the available air... just wasting money that way and contributing to the negative image that diesels have with the general (and uninformed) public.
Not to mention excesive sooting of the oil, and carboning up the valves & piston tops.

scoobyxj said:
Not to mention excesive sooting of the oil, and carboning up the valves & piston tops.

Aw come awn.....leaving a cloud of black smoke when you tromp on it is fun, and part of what we pay for. :D

In our trucks, all we get is a good puff at first, which comes from the fuel that's added at full throttle before the turbo spools to get enough air in there........just a small moment of pleasure. :laugh:

BTW, if you look at big rigs (or even buses) you'll see many of them pour black smoke out the tail pipe when they're into the throttle, and those things normally run 1,000,000 plus miles before a rebuild.

Goatman said:
That gas truck sure was inexpensive........ :) :)
Sorry to hear that Richard.
My truck turned over 42,000 miles yesterday and I have still 13 days left untill it's first birthday!
I did the math and the PSD is still cheaper to drive than my 454 Suburban was even with fuel $1.10 higher now than it was a year ago!
I have not had a single problem with it!
I would like to do an exhaust up grade and better tires some day, but for now I will just leave it alone.

Goatman said:
Aw come awn.....leaving a cloud of black smoke when you tromp on it is fun, and part of what we pay for. :D

In our trucks, all we get is a good puff at first, which comes from the fuel that's added at full throttle before the turbo spools to get enough air in there........just a small moment of pleasure. :laugh:

BTW, if you look at big rigs (or even buses) you'll see many of them pour black smoke out the tail pipe when they're into the throttle, and those things normally run 1,000,000 plus miles before a rebuild.

Sorry about the trans, it was inevitable.

Once again, it proves my theory that my prayers are not being heard.

CRASH

seanR said:
I would like to do an exhaust up grade and better tires some day, but for now I will just leave it alone.

Sean, when you decide to upgrade your exhaust, I'd be happy to take your old one off your hands. Apparently the factory pipe size on the PSD is an upgrade for the factory junk thats still under my GM 6.5. I just replaced the crossover and downpipe with some nice FLowmaster stuff, but its still choked at the pipe leading into the cat.

Back