• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powerstroke tuner....yeah baby!!

seanR said:
You can buy me a nice pipe set up and I will give you my old exhaust!
Sound like a good deal?

How about you buy your own exhaust, give me the old junk and then I'll buy you a steak dinner.

So now this thread is going to degrade into lame sayings about trucks?

Alright, I'm game- I'd rather be Stroked than rammed

Great thread.....I don't remember seeing this before, so I thought I'd chime in.

I've got a 97 dodge 12 valve cummins. It was stock when I bought it, but within an hour of being in my driveway, I had the pump apart, sliding the plate forward for more fuel.

Next came the gutted cat and muffler "elimination"

Of course, the tranny was mush within a month.

Got me a full DTT rebuild, a 3K GSK, AFE intake, and a #5 fuel plate.

It's running close to 275 HP/550 ft lb torque with an auto tranny that will put it all to the ground.

It smokes like an old coal driven freight train pullin a long grade, but thats the best part. There's not much better than leavin that punk kid in his slammed acura choking in your excess fuel.

Oh ya, it'll get close to 21 MPG on the freeway, 17 in the city, 13-14 towing the XJ. Not bad for 193,000 miles.

Rick

I didn't anticipate that having a fast diesel truck would be so much fun. It's hard to keep your foot out of it...... :)

I hated to spend the $$, but I'm glad I have a real stout tranny now. It would have to be done eventually anyway, so now that it's already done I can have fun with it worry free.

I still need to do a few more things to keep the EGT's down when towing hard. I think this weekend the cat's going bye bye, even though it's 4" on both the inlet and outlet. I might also gut the EBPV, it's too warm here for it to be useful and it should drop my EGT's about 50*. But, I still think I'm going to start saving up for a Hypermax intercooler.......then I should be able to pull as hard as I want with no worries.

Jeep fund $$ is going into the truck......uh oh. :)

Goatman said:
I didn't anticipate that having a fast diesel truck would be so much fun. It's hard to keep your foot out of it...... :)

I hated to spend the $$, but I'm glad I have a real stout tranny now. It would have to be done eventually anyway, so now that it's already done I can have fun with it worry free.

I still need to do a few more things to keep the EGT's down when towing hard. I think this weekend the cat's going bye bye, even though it's 4" on both the inlet and outlet. I might also gut the EBPV, it's too warm here for it to be useful and it should drop my EGT's about 50*. But, I still think I'm going to start saving up for a Hypermax intercooler.......then I should be able to pull as hard as I want with no worries.

Jeep fund $$ is going into the truck......uh oh. :)

Stop ignoring me Richard. :D

Now your SUPER STROKING [size=-4]it[/size].

Rick XTRM XJ said:
Isn't 6th grade humor a little too mature for you?? :laugh3:

Rick

You've got me there. Maybe in another 10 years I'll get up to the six grade. I'm just jealous because Richard overstroked and injured his shifter. :D

I would really like a 12 valve cummins mated to a 6 speed though. I'm wanting mileage more than power. I know sever people around here that tow three place trailers with the early 90's Dodge and average low 20's. I drive like a stoned grandma so power and speed would just be a waste.

Diesels are way over priced around here. Used there is a $6k to $10K premium over the V-8's or V-10's. I've kind of been shopping for a 2wd since no one wants those around here. I would really like a quad cab so I've thought real hard about getting a small block rig and swapping in what I want. I've got enough projects that never get done though. For now I'll just have to be happy with my V-10.

BTW what's diesel running around your parts? We're still around $2.50 for diesel but regular unleaded is down to $2.10.

Well, I juiced mine up today. Already did the muffler delete and don't have a cat. I've got all the parts for my intake, just need to put them on. The big brown truck brought my new computer from DP Tuner. It's the 80hp Economy flash. I just didn't want to spring for a flip chip yet. I dropped it in after work today, took about 10 mins. As I'm pulling out of the shop, I layed the hammer down. WHOA BUDDY, can you say massive grin from ear to ear? The unburnt fuel was making a lovely cloud for the punk in his civic that pulled out behind me :laugh3: I can see why it's called the economy flash as it's going to be good for the economy with fuel bills and aftermarket upgrades to keep everything alive.

Since I knew my comp was coming, I went out to the test and tune at the strip last night. 18.2 is the best I could get. I'm thinking I'll be getting mid 15's next week.

Fun, isn't it? :D

I gotta do a 1/4 mile run with mine. My Edge has a 1/4 mi and 0-60 elapsed time program, I need to use it to see what it will do. I just ordered a Hypermax intercooler, which I'll get on before the trip to Moab next month, I should make a run before and after to see if the IC effects more than just the EGT's.

I also just bought a 9.5' Lance camper with a slide-out, so I'm SERIOUSLY looking at putting 19.5" rims and tires on it. Hypermax IC, 19.5's, a couple of vacations...........I'm sure glad car sales are strong this summer. :)

Oh man is it fun. Got to playing around with it some more. I can roast the tires from a dead stop with no power braking. That's not a good thing, especially with an 8K lb truck :laugh3: Wonder how long that 4r100 is going to last? I can't wait to tow down to Windrock next weekend. There's plenty of big hills to see what this thing will really do. After all, I got this thing so I could pull whatever I want and ALWAYS maintain the speed limit or greater.

All the good parts for tranny build ups are readily available, so any good tranny shop can do it. BTS, ATS, and others want $3200 (approx) exhange, and I got mine done with all the same parts for $2500 including installation. I did the investigating so I knew what was going on, then talked to the local trans shop that does all our used car trans work, and he was very familiar with how to rebuild these trans with beefed up parts and other modifications. The only thing I didn't get was a steel 1st/rev planetary, but he said those virtually never go out (the clutches do), and it did get the upgraded clutches for every gear, both material and number of clutches. I also got the triple disc torque converter, and improved oiling, shifting, pressure, etc.

I'm going to try the stock turbo housing with the intercooler, and if I don't think it spools fast enough I'll switch to the 1.0 housing. Since I have 4.10's, my towing rpm is at the higher range, so the stock housing may work fine. We'll see how much turbo lag I get..........I do get plenty of black smoke. :)

7.3, 7.2 whatever. :)

Just not the new 6.0L I guess is what I was trying to say.

When you have 2 1/2 tons running in the 10's I'd say your doing something right. Maybe the guy had some more tunning left??? At the drag track it's all about going fast, not portraying a "positive image".

From what I understand Propane IS the equivalent to NOS on a diesel but you can still run both.

B

caution.gif

zombielandpic20.jpg

Back