• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

plasma cutter anyone?

foxwar71

NAXJA Forum User
whats up everyone. well in order to finish off the new bumper ive been buildin, i need to cut a few final shapes out of some 1/4" steel. ive got the steel, the welder, just not the damn cutter. anyone with one care to lend a hand? im in foxboro, ma so if its not to far ill make the trip. thanks

Joe Attardo down here in blakeslee pa has one, we're having a lift party this weekend at his shop doing some TJ's [long arm, short arm, couple SYE's] if you want to take a ride down... probably going to take both sat and sun to get them done so we'll be there all weekend. I might even throw those 4:10's in the back and see if I decide to do it.... probably going to be about 10-15 of us there.. He's about 3 miles off RT80. Just come down 95 and hang a right on 80, just two roads :D :D

Bob at Ocean State Offroad in Westerly, RI has one. Give him a call. 401-596-9400

RichP - thanks for the offer and i probly would go if closer, but work ties me up pretty good

Trailbst - thanks, i may give him a call if i cant find anyone closer or something. i basiclly just dont really want to be payin an arm and a leg around here and let someone else cut it.

LOL I have the same problem, have 3/16 plate steel marked from templates just need cut! metals been sitting in the garage waiting for me to weld it into some ugly lookin bumper. PS ive been driving around withought a front bumper for a year

haha i kno the feelin all to well........

2091soh.jpg

ive got the templet made and the stinger bent up, just no way to cut the damn top out.

SO.....anyone else got one around locally?

What do you mean "cut the top out"? So far on my rig I've managed to make do with no plasma cutter. I find a well placed sawzall, 4.5" angle grinder, 3" cutoff wheel, jigsaw, hole saw, or drill bit has taken care of any cutting I've had to do. It might take a little longer, but it works. Even 1/4" stuff is no problem. A plasma cutter would be nice, but I don't have the money or the circuits to handle it, so I make do with what I've got.

Agreed, stop being tool whimps. If you do not have the right tool make do with what you have. It might take ten times the amount of time but it will get done.

K

nhrocker said:
What do you mean "cut the top out"? So far on my rig I've managed to make do with no plasma cutter. I find a well placed sawzall, 4.5" angle grinder, 3" cutoff wheel, jigsaw, hole saw, or drill bit has taken care of any cutting I've had to do. It might take a little longer, but it works. Even 1/4" stuff is no problem. A plasma cutter would be nice, but I don't have the money or the circuits to handle it, so I make do with what I've got.

the problem is that i got a sheet of 60" x 12" of 1/4 and i have to cut out the whole shape of the top piece (itss kinda like a streched 'C') and a few other odds and ends and i just dont wanna burn threw tons of cuttin wheels on my little grinder.

10.00 of cutting wheels+satisfaction of doing it yourself > 30.00+gas to take it somewhere to be cut.

Even after it's cut you'll have to clean up w/ a grinder.

Back